Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Del, just another old site reminder.

June 18, 2022 11:26AM avatar
Yes, many of the old townsites that have drawn a lot of attention from decades of visits by detector operators have been hard-hunted. That simply means the easier stuff to find got thinned out as time passed by.

Most of those old places also have a lot of brush that gets in the way, and more discarded metal debris, mainly ferrous, that is quite a challenge and results in a lot of partial masking of potential keepers. But that means those desirables are still there to be found and it just means working a site slowly and methodically to unmask them.

OregonGregg was back out there again this morning and reported in a few minutes ago after finding an 188? silver dime and a very impressive looking button, and it wasn't even 9 AM yet.

And don't forget that our outings include the specific towns but there are also other places we can check out associated with the general area.. For example, they are railroad towns but we also had stage lines that came through and that meant that there were roads that were used for travel . And there was also other activity in the area such as people trying to get to another state be it California or Oregon, or maybe they're trying to get somewhere for prospecting purposes.

There's all kinds of activity that took place in the general area and when we mention we're having an outing that lets folks know where our base point would be, such as Wells, and were the specific towns were and that gives them ample information to start doing research. They can find out more about the specific towns and how they were laid out or they can find out about other things that took place in the general area.

We will be finding other locations for future WTHO's, but I know I am not crossing these places off my list of sites to hunt if I am passing through or just make a two or three day outing on my own.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
I'm now 'back home' in Farr West Utah
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detector Outfit: A selection of my favorite makes and models, with the best coils mounted for the tasks I'll take on.
Vista X (and two more coming soon) .. F19 .. F75+ .. FORS Relic .. Bandido II ┬ÁMAX .. Silver Sabre ┬ÁMAX
Pinpointers: Garrett AT Pro-Pointers .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2022 12:09PM by Monte.
Subject Author Views Posted

The 14th WTHO is about half-way over.

Monte 221 June 17, 2022 12:20PM

OregonGregg got another early start this morning.

Monte 90 June 18, 2022 08:47AM

Re: The 14th WTHO is about half-way over.

D&P-OR 98 June 17, 2022 02:37PM

Del, just another old site reminder.

Monte 146 June 18, 2022 11:26AM

10 AM and another report of a fantastic find!

Monte 112 June 18, 2022 12:21PM

Del, all Outings can vary, but I am looking for a new site.

Monte 160 June 17, 2022 09:51PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 28