Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"I have a feeling Monte is going to come from behind. "

September 15, 2017 07:20AM avatar
Elbert
Good hunt Monte. Now, no time off for you when corn season starts. I have a feeling Monte is going to come from behind.

El
El, I am doing my best, and I am doing all I can to make that 'feeling' come true. smiling smiley

After I spoke with Gregg I went back to hunting and about 15' from the hole the two Mercury Head dimes came out of I nabbed a '30 Wheat-Back penny. This was all from an area of about 40' in diameter that we have both hunted quite a bit, and both of us have made some good finds there. Gregg has pulled a Merc. dime and that really nice Tom Mix buckle out of there, and I yanked one Merc. and two 'Good Luck' tokens plus a half-dozen Wheat cents.

Matter of fact I was drawn back to that area by the two big trees mainly because I liked the now non-existent Roberts-Nyssa, Inc. Buick & GMC Trucks 'Good Luck' token I found, with Gregg watching that recovery as it was a Nyssa, Oregon business token, and that's the town where Gregg lives. Then it was followed up on the next visit or two we made when he found the Tom Mix buckle.

That was a really nice buckle, and at the time he showed it to me right out-of-the ground all I could see was the hat and I told him it might have a 'T M' on it. Turns out it had the whole name on that buckle, but the experience helped remind me of the age difference between us. I knew about the old Tom Mix movies and all the related Tom Mix associated rings and buckles and things that could be lost and now found.

Gregg's response was "Who?" Darn brief episode sure made me age a bit more while standing in one spot. sad smiley

Anyway, there was, and still is, more to be found there, as well as most older, well-used sites of days-gone-by since the amount of discarded trash, both ferrous and non-ferrous, sure creates a lot of good-target masking.

I use smaller-than-stock coils about 90+% of the time, especially in the past 34+ year where I have concentrated my efforts on Relic Hunting older sites that are heavily littered. I figured this would be a good site for me to evaluate the new open-frame 5X9½ DD of Gregg's to see how a mid-sized coil might deal with a trashier environment.

This section of the old CCC Camp / Japanese Internment Camp has more iron debris in the dirt and weed-covered area and this new coil did well. I hope to have my own 5X9½ DD mounted on my #2 FORS CoRe soon as it will make an excellent complement to the small 'OOR' DD that is always attached to my original #1 CoRe.

I knew how this same size coil has been performing afield as I keep one mounted on my #2 Nokta Impact for hunting lot-to-moderate trashy sites, especially when Coin & Jewelry Hunting. Currently my #1 'Test' Impact sports the new 7" Concentric coil and it is really providing me a lot of pleasure afield, to be sure.

This new 5X9½ open-frame DD is a very comfortably balanced, light- weight coil that I think everyone ought to have on-hand for their FORS CoRe. Matter of fact, I plan to get one for my CoRe and another form my FORS Relic. A wonderful option to complement the smaller coils I use on those models in severe trash for times when I want to cover the fringe area or open areas out away from the densely littered parts of old ghost towns and similar sites.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

My Regular-Use Detectors:
Nokta:
Impact w/7" C., Impact w/5X9½ DD, Relic w/5" DD, Relic w/5½X10 C., Relic w/7X11 DD, CoRe w/'OOR' DD and CoRe w/7X11 DD
Tesoro:
Vaquero w/6" C., Bandido II µMAX w/6" C., Silver Sabre µMAX w/6" C. and Mojave w/7" C.

Other Specialty Use Detectors from:
Compass, Makro, Nokta, Tesoro and White's
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand, NOT in my order of preference for use. Additional search coils on-hand in accessory bags.

Pinpointers: Using Nokta and Makro Pointers.
Headphones: Using the Killer B 'Hornet'.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147
Subject Author Views Posted

The Irony and how life can be unfair tongue sticking out smiley

OregonGregg 111 September 14, 2017 03:19PM

Re: The Irony and how life can be unfair tongue sticking out smiley

NWCindy 61 September 15, 2017 04:00AM

Cindy, the new 5X9½ DD on the Nokta FORS CoRe is a

Monte 84 September 15, 2017 09:59AM

Re: Cindy, the new 5X9½ DD on the Nokta FORS CoRe is a Attachments

NWCindy 66 September 16, 2017 04:16AM

Re: Cindy, the new 5X9½ DD on the Nokta FORS CoRe is a

Rich (Utah) 35 September 18, 2017 11:06PM

Remfire 50 September 16, 2017 10:29PM

NWCindy 50 September 17, 2017 12:18AM

Remfire 52 September 18, 2017 04:07AM

NWCindy 44 September 18, 2017 06:31PM

OregonGregg 51 September 16, 2017 10:16PM

NWCindy 44 September 17, 2017 12:19AM

Coils

OregonGregg 70 September 15, 2017 04:09AM

Re: The Irony and how life can be unfair tongue sticking out smiley

Elbert 57 September 15, 2017 02:10AM

"I have a feeling Monte is going to come from behind. "

Monte 60 September 15, 2017 07:20AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 13
Record Number of Guests: 182 on September 16, 2016