Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Jadon, updates on finding stuff.

June 26, 2018 06:50AM avatar
To start off, let me just say I wish you could have made any of the WTHO's this year because there have always been some nice finds made by some of the participants. You can look back at he Outing Reports folks made on those Outings here on this Forum. And don't forget that the offer still stands to take you to several old sites if you make it over to this side of the state sometime.

Finds made this year for me, as for you, have been a bit slower in recent weeks. I had some success working two lots here in town from a house demolition early on, but that thinned out but also is now overgrown with tall, dense weeds. Had a little success and a lot of fun hitting an old site across the border in Idaho with Oregon Gregg .. Gregg .. and zincoln .. Brian .. in mid-April before out Eastern Oregon WTHO, and my last good find was an 1892 Barber Dime in a ghost town west of on May 30th.

My hunting has been limited this year, however, due to health and injury issues, plus some hotter weather we've had that I don't seem to be able to cope with like I could when I was younger. Of course some of the down-time from detecting has afforded me a little extra time to get some research in to try and find new and possibly exciting places to go hunt. I have long enjoyed doing research, but miss out on having my favorite sources, and that is 'antique people.' I can track down some 'antique' books and journals, and 'antique' maps, but most of the old folks I used to be able to contact , who had fresh memories of their early life in long-ago places, are gone.

I am trying to track down the new owner of a vacant lot that's all dirt now, and over in Ontario the owner of a vacant house that also has a bare dirt yard, Either of those might offer a little hope to find a few older dated coins, trade tokens or other interesting small artifacts, and I'm always on the watch for similar sites or any good renovation work.

You stated: "I’ve mostly been waiting for the farmers to plow fields. I enjoy field hunting private land." I am with you 100% on the latter, that being able to get the OK to search private property, especially when there is some association with ample human activity, such as an old homesite, school or church, or dance hall and other get-together activity. Maybe property that used to be a picnic grove or recreation site.

As for hunting plowed fields, they haven't been the biggest source of satisfaction for me unless they had more direct and abundant human activity. The type of use of the fields in earlier days. If they are crop fields, such as corn or hay, they might have more broken-off wagon or tractor parts than human associated losses, and the bigger the fields the more spread-out the finds might be.

Now if they are adjacent to, and plowed up to some old habitation structures, that can have potential, or if the now vacant plowed field one had a house, school, church or other site of habitation or frequent activity then they have more potential. Some of those types of modern-day fields I have isolated by researching old maps that showed prior use of the location.

There are, or were, some plowed fields that can be very productive, and many are/were over in your region of NW Oregon. Those were the strawberry and raspberry fields that used to rely on younger folks to hand-harvest the produce. There were also many tree-bearing fruits like peaches, apricot, pear and apple orchards that had busy harvest seasons where people, a lot of people, kept busy earning some wages during harvest season which was often during school break.

In the early to mid '60s I know I spend a fair share or time working hard in the strawberry fields out towards Gresham . Cooler mornings, when we'd get on the bus picking up harvesters around 5 AM, many of us wore a light jacket or long-sleeved flannel shirt, but after the sun was up an hour or so those would often be tied around a picker's waist as they continued to pluck the berries to fill their boxes. Naturally you would get dirty or muddy, and strawberry stains would appear on your work clothes, so quite a few wore pants and other close that were already wearing out. Also, back in those days, pants usually were not as tight fitting as what people wear today.

In March of '65 I built my first Metal/Mineral Locator .. aka Metal Detector in today's terms .. and in June I was our picking berries for my fourth year. Working those early morning to mid-day hours I got to thinking about some of the finds I had been making since '61 when I started berry picking, and that was the occasional $$$ I would find as we re-worked the rows. They didn't use punch cards back then, they simply weighed your pallet and paid you with change. Mostly pennies, nickels, dimes quarters and halves.

The faster you worked the more you could pick and get paid for, and I used to pocket my coins either in my left shirt pocket, that buttoned, or in my pant's pocket. I think some people put them in loose or open shirt pockets and coins got lost when they were bent over to pick the berries, or they fell out of loose-fitting pants or jacket pockets or those that might have had holes in them. All I knew was that I would occasionally spot a dropped coin in the rows I was harvesting.

After having a metal detector in-hand, I got to thinking that the plowed and harvested berry fields would be good to work, and they were. Not as easy with the old BFO's and TR's I had back in those early days of detecting, but things got better by the mid-to-late '70s when I had a ground balancing model that also offered TR-Disc. for some areas with more nails and other iron.

Those were plowed fields that were great to get permission to search, and I also did well when I had access to orchards that used to see a lot of man-hours spend plucking fruit from the trees. I also had some pretty decent success when I got the OK to hunt all around the produce stands that had their era of abundant activity. many fruit and vegetable stands used to be around, and many provided me a lot of great rewards when I'd get in there after they closed down for the season.

After we had some very good motion-based Discriminators to deal with the ground falsing of the old conventional TR's, from the very late '70s through the mid-to-late '80s, those long-used plowed fields, orchards and fruit stands were regular sites I set out to get access to. By the late '80s and into the '90s we saw much of the harvest activity not allowing kids to work, and in many locations such as out of the Portland Oregon area, a lot of those once-producing farms were turned to subdivisions, shopping malls and other ruined forms of 'growth and progress.'

Sorry to ramble but your comment about plowed fields took my memory on a stroll back in time when some fields where high-producers of wheat-back cents, older nickels, and a LOT of silver coinage. Best of success to you, and others, as the year progresses.

Off to physical therapy then to do some site scouting,

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

'Regular-Use Detector Team' are models from: Fisher, Nokta / Makro, Teknetics, Tesoro and White's
'Specialty-Use Detectors' are models from: Compass, Garrett and Teknetics
Pinpointers: Using Nokta / Makro and Uniprobe Pointers.
Headphones: Using Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star and Detector Pro's Uniprobe ... All w/'tank style' ear cups.
Recovery Gear: Using White's DigMaster digging tool and Signature Series pouch.
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen as desired based on search site conditions.
Some models are assigned for 'Regular-Use' and others are on-hand for 'Specialty Use.'
Additional search coils, mounted on spare lower-rods, are on-hand in my Accessory Coil Tote.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147
Subject Author Views Posted

What has everyone found?

Jadon_PDX 167 June 25, 2018 10:58PM

Re: What has everyone found?

OregonGregg 100 June 27, 2018 11:27AM

Lately . . . . .

Rich (Utah) 114 June 26, 2018 06:22PM

Jadon, updates on finding stuff.

Monte 116 June 26, 2018 06:50AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 25
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018