Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Search coil choices and snaggy dense brush.

July 05, 2018 09:57AM avatar
I forgot you had the 7" Concentric or that would have been my guess. I keep the open-frame 7" Concentric mounted full-time on my Racer 2 and go to a smaller coil only when I get in very dense iron debris ... and if I don't have another detector already good-to-go with a smaller coil. I keep the 'OOR' DD mounted on my main-use CoRe and the 5" DD attached to my Relic, and a 6½" Concentric on my MX-7 so those models get the call most of the time and the Racer 2 takes a break. All three of these search coils are solid design which eliminates the possibility of snaggy hang-ups when working in stubble or short, stiff dense weedy environments.

Remfire
By the time I was a half mile from the truck I wished I'd made a different coil choice!
Old, yes, but my think-tank still works and I can remember those good old days when I was that mobile ... prior to 1991. I used to be able to make that stroll back when away from my vehicle so I could take a lunch break or change batteries or search coils, when needed. But I usually carried a change of batteries when I planned on being farther away, and I used to take a small snack item to get me by. Also, when I knew I might need a smaller-size search coil, I was ready for that as well.

I keep all my search coils on spare lower rods, and my accessory gear has been on a 'service' belt or 'duty' belt. They used to be the leather type law enforcement duty belts but I quickly changed over to the nylon service belts. In today's nutty naming of so many things they likely call them a 'tactical' belt. Anyway, that holds the finds pouch, pinpointer, digging tool, and when I was going to be a healthy walk away from my rig, I snapped on a plastic ring used for flashlights or nightsticks (those seem like an ancient tool these days) and positioned it behind the finds pouch and digger on my left side.

I'd just drop the spare rod w/coil in that ring and have my extra smaller coil along with me. I'd use a skinny cloth bag I put over the rod to keep the coil cable from dangling or snagging, and it only took too or three times when it's use came in handy for me to like that approach.

Just a thought about how I used to tackle the "be prepared" part of heading off on a foot journey.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

'Regular-Use Detector Team' are models from: Fisher, Nokta / Makro, Teknetics, Tesoro and White's
'Specialty-Use Detectors' are models from: Compass, Garrett and Teknetics
Pinpointers: Using Nokta / Makro and Uniprobe Pointers.
Headphones: Using Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star and Detector Pro's Uniprobe ... All w/'tank style' ear cups.
Recovery Gear: Using White's DigMaster digging tool and Signature Series pouch.
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen as desired based on search site conditions.
Some models are assigned for 'Regular-Use' and others are on-hand for 'Specialty Use.'
Additional search coils, mounted on spare lower-rods, are on-hand in my Accessory Coil Tote.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147
Subject Author Views Posted

Watch this! Attachments

Remfire 252 July 04, 2018 03:47PM

Re: Watch this!

Kickindirt 118 July 05, 2018 02:01PM

At least you got out somewhere.

Monte 101 July 04, 2018 10:23PM

Re: At least you got out somewhere.

Remfire 100 July 05, 2018 07:35AM

Search coil choices and snaggy dense brush.

Monte 88 July 05, 2018 09:57AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 13
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018