Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ONE thin DIME

September 27, 2018 01:17PM
I posted this under the Minelab Tab as well since I have been testing a new Software Distribution Minelab sent out for the Equinox 800.

Monday, I had the opportunity to go on a road trip with my friend Sid to a few small towns for a little detecting at some old homes. We have frequented the towns a number of times over the last 30 years and thought it a good time for another visit.

After a lengthy drive and some door knocking, we found an old house to hunt in the first little town. The owner did not know the exact year of construction, but a very large diameter tree in the front yard combined with the architecture and construction had me thinking the first 10 years of the 1900’s.

I took my EQ800 as my main detector with the 6” and 11” coils. I have a few detectors that would be good selections for this trip, but picked my EQ800 as Minelab recently sent out a software update. I’ve been working with the old & new versions of software (v1.50 and v1.75) the last couple weeks to get a feel for the differences and see which I prefer. I am currently running the v1.75. Park 2, sensitivity 21, Recovery 6, iron bias 2.

The yard we hunted had a very moderate amount of trash combined with targets in the 4-8” range. I used my 11” coil. It seemed to be a good choice. At this first home, the owner had brought in some topsoil and steer manure for the front yard, and it made targets a little extra deep.

At this first yard, the more notable finds were several early date Wheaties, including a 1910-S, a 1927 Buffalo nickel and a sterling silver ring, which was given to the owner. The house had been in their family since it was built. As part of our agreement to hunt, I offered to return any jewelry found. The sterling ring was the second target retrieved and brought a smile to the owner. After a few hours, we finished up, said thank you for the privilege of hunting and hopped in the truck to go get some lunch and head to our second little town.

Upon reaching our second town, we stopped for a quick visit at an old friends’ house we met detecting back in the 80’s. At the time, she had a White’s 5000/D if I remember right and was going great guns coin shooting and had begun looking for gold rings.

Nowadays she’s using a White’s Spectrum XLT. She showed us the rings that she’s found just this year. Wow! You would not believe. I was and am impressed. Blows away my meager finds. I’m not even close to being in the same league. Anyway, it was great to catch up and get a little inspiration for my ring hunting.

After our visit, we started looking for a likely place to hunt and did a little more door knocking. We did find a second old yard to hunt. Another in the 1900-1910 era. The owner had lived there for approximately 10 years and didn’t know the history much. In looking at the large front yard and the texture of the dirt, it appeared the yard had been tilled and mowed over the years, mixing targets at all depths. It was a small agricultural town, so this wasn’t out of the ordinary.

The owner did say he had his own detector and might join us in the yard in a bit. Sure enough, about an hour into the hunt, he stepped out in the yard with his granddaughter and a Garrett - All Purpose - Master Hunter BFO in hand. Working.

It was more challenging to have targets mixed, but they were still there for the finding. In the next couple hours, I turned up a few more Wheaties and finally a silver dime. The silver coins in this town all come out of the ground mostly gray. And this was ONE THIN DIME. I saw the ONE DIME on the back, heavily worn. I turned it over hoping for a Seated Liberty. I could just make out the outline of liberty on the front, but not the seated type. it was a Barber Dime. It wasn’t until I got home with a magnifying glass that I could read the date, 1900. No mintmark.

We’d been hoping to turn up a trade token or two, but the closest we came was one of those Presidential tokens, this one for Millard Fillmore.

The sun was getting very low in the sky and we called it a day. The detectors were put away and our gear packed up. We stopped along the way for a little something to eat in the car and began a long drive home as we watched the full moon rise from the East.

It was a real pleasure to get out and do some old yard hunting, make a few finds and chew the fat about detectors, the histories of little old towns and to look forward to the next trip. thumbs up

Rich (Utah)

** UNDER CONSTRUCTION **
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_2104.JPG (191.1 KB)
open | download - IMG_2105.JPG (80.6 KB)
open | download - IMG_2107.JPG (167.5 KB)
open | download - IMG_2108.JPG (205.3 KB)
Subject Author Views Posted

ONE thin DIME Attachments

Rich (Utah) 158 September 27, 2018 01:17PM

Re: ONE thin DIME

zincoln 70 September 28, 2018 01:47PM

ONE thin DIME

Rich (Utah) 59 September 28, 2018 03:06PM

Nice write-up and a fun experience.

Monte 68 September 28, 2018 04:34AM

Re: Nice write-up and a fun experience.

Rich (Utah) 52 September 28, 2018 07:08PM

OregonGregg 68 September 27, 2018 08:56PM

EQ800's, VX3's and New Detectors

Rich (Utah) 79 September 28, 2018 07:02PM

Yes, the VX3 is an 'interesting' detector.

Monte 77 September 29, 2018 07:58AM

Kickindirt 54 September 27, 2018 08:56PM

Rich (Utah) 50 September 28, 2018 05:58PM

NWCindy 60 September 27, 2018 01:45PM

ONE thin DIME

Rich (Utah) 80 September 27, 2018 02:18PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 10
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018