Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I put in some hunting time in a vacant lot Saturday.

October 22, 2018 03:07AM avatar
The day started out at 33° but it was clear and sunny enough to warm up nicely ... eventually.

Couldn't get out after surgery and in the neck brace and finally I was able to call and get permission to hunt a lot. Not as rewarding as I had hoped. A friend lives 3 houses up the street and her place was built in 1910, but I was told the house that used to occupy the lot, which they tore down this past year, was built sometime in the 1940's. Then they filled the vacated hole with dirt, and cut trees this summer and ground some of them down so that tree debris and extra dirt were spread around and kind of messed up the site.

The former grass or surface dirt was skimmed off of some of the yard, but the yard was also built up as you couldn't see any of the base of the trees or root structure. It needs another 2"-4" leveled off in sports. I had my four Ready-to-Hunt traveling detectors loaded and figured I would put all of them to use. I started out with the White's XLT w/6½" coil using my 'Bushwhack' program and Tone ID 'On' to kind of cruise the area and get a feel for what the trash conditions might be or see if I could isolate an area or two with more coin potential.

I was doing OK and kept using the XLT longer than I had planned. Then, due to the weight and balance, I decide to switch units. Although it's not bad I am still trying to recuperate and get my right arm mobility and strength back. That could take 1-2 years, the doctor said, to maybe get as much as 80% of the mobility and strength back, so 2 hours with the XLT tired me some.

I then switched to my lightest-weight TID model, the Teknetics Omega 8000 w/7" Concentric coil, using 3-Tone, and hunted for about 45 minutes to work more of the rear yard area, then went another 45 minutes with the Nokta FORS Relic w/5" DD in 3-Tone, along the north side of the lot that had me dealing with a metal-siding fence, and that was a challenge.

Ran home to clean the really gucky coins while fixing lunch, dealing with some low blood sugars, and taking some pain meds for my shoulder, back and knee. Then I headed back down where I used my Nokta FORS CoRe w/'OOR' DD coil for about an hour and Gregg stopped by to show me his Indian Head and put in a little hunt time.

All together I managed to recover 1-clad Quarter, 1-Jefferson Nickel, 10-Memorial Cents, 1 still caked-up and unidentifiable Cent, and 7-Wheat-Back Cents (1917, '18, '19, '38-S, '39S, '44D and '45S) and 2-silver Mercury Dimes (1924 & '41S), and one Shell's Mr. President (Thomas Jefferson) Game Coin token.

I cleaned and carded all the keepers and put them in the binder before I thought about taking a photo. I need to do better at and get into the photo routine I guess. Going into Ontario in a few hours to shop and check out a dug up renovation project and see if I can work it a little, then I might squeeze in another hour or so at the vacant lot here in Vale later this afternoon. Not nearly as productive as I had hoped but there still might be one more keeper or two hiding out so I'll give it another try.

I trust all the readers have some pleasant fall weather and can also get out and enjoy detecting today and this week.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

'Regular-Use Detector Team' are models from: Fisher, Nokta / Makro, Teknetics, Tesoro and White's
'Specialty-Use Detectors' are models from: Compass, Garrett and Teknetics
Pinpointers: Using Nokta / Makro and Uniprobe Pointers.
Headphones: Using Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star and Detector Pro's Uniprobe ... All w/'tank style' ear cups.
Recovery Gear: Using White's DigMaster digging tool and Signature Series pouch.
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen as desired based on search site conditions.
Some models are assigned for 'Regular-Use' and others are on-hand for 'Specialty Use.'
Additional search coils, mounted on spare lower-rods, are on-hand in my Accessory Coil Tote.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2018 02:22AM by Monte.
Subject Author Views Posted

I put in some hunting time in a vacant lot Saturday.

Monte 105 October 22, 2018 03:07AM

Re: I got to put in some hunting in a vacant lot Saturday.

NWCindy 61 October 22, 2018 06:18PM

I Can't Wait to get on the Road Again,

Rich (Utah) 58 October 22, 2018 04:48PM

Congrats on the Sliver

OregonGregg 79 October 22, 2018 03:48AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 18
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018