Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

WM6, I haven't found a detector not hampered by 'masking.'

August 31, 2020 02:37AM avatar
That image you posted with the large piece of iron and a small dime is something that would affect every detector, with some detector and coil combinations suffering more than others. But even those that might get a hint of a good signal on that arrangement could still struggle if it was swept from a different angle, with different settings, or with a different coil.

It doesn't matter if it's a site that was impacted by bombing or similar activity, or any old site that has a lot of discarded debris, they are all metal-targets we have to deal with and all of them based upon their size, shape, orientation hand metal alloy makeup are going to be detectable. All will have an effect on an electromagnetic field, so it boils down to the size and shape of that electromagnetic field coupled with the circuitry design an ability to deal with how those types of metals, and sizes of metals, affect the electromagnetic field.

I have trim to my working detector outfit down to 10 detectors as of today. Some of them are a little better for coin hunting in more open areas with a reduced amount of trash targets, while others have more strengths and abilities to take on unwanted debris that is more closely associated to cause more negative performance target masking.

I am hoping this new Garrett Apex, hampered by only having one search coil at this point, might work reasonably well in what each of us might consider an 'average' type of environment and make useful general-purpose detector. Search coil size, shape and type plays an important role in performance. Circuitry design of the detector also is important. From my experiences, in average conditions two very heavily iron littered sites over the past 5 years and 7 months, has proven to me that all of the different Nokta and Makro detector models I have and continue to enjoy handle some of the tougher challenges as well or better then most of the competition.

Nails, bolts, washers and other ferrous - based objects are going to have a different effect on an electromagnetic field, or ability to be identified, compared with a lot of the non-ferrous metals associated with bombing activity or other explosive ordinance.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detectors: Fisher F5; Garrett Apex; Minelab Vanquish 540; Nokta / Makro FORS CoRe, FORS Relic & Simplex +;
Teknetics T2+; Tesoro Bandido II ┬ÁMAX & Silver Sabre ┬ÁMAX; White's XLT
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive -- ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' -- MS-3 Z-Lynk -- ML-80 -- N/M Green Edition
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Garrett Apex Attachments

Kickindirt 210 August 28, 2020 01:09PM

thumbs up. Garrett Apex N/T

UtahRich 59 August 31, 2020 07:27AM

Re: Garrett Apex

WM6 94 August 30, 2020 12:08AM

A little more Clarity

UtahRich 83 August 31, 2020 09:29AM

Re: A little more Clarity

WM6 80 August 31, 2020 10:04AM

OregonGregg 79 August 31, 2020 10:47AM

UtahRich 65 August 31, 2020 10:21AM

OregonGregg 79 August 30, 2020 07:41PM

WM6 95 August 31, 2020 01:48AM

OregonGregg 77 August 31, 2020 08:03AM

WM6, I haven't found a detector not hampered by 'masking.'

Monte 92 August 31, 2020 02:37AM

Re: WM6, I haven't found a detector not hampered by 'masking.'

WM6 90 August 31, 2020 10:50AM

Re: WM6, I haven't found a detector not hampered by 'masking.'

GeoW 71 September 02, 2020 08:47PM

Re: Garrett Apex N/T

jmaryt 85 August 28, 2020 03:11PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 52
Record Number of Guests: 356 on August 30, 2020