Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

If you're using an MXT series model, including the M6 and MX5,

January 15, 2017 03:23AM avatar
or either of the Spectra series units, I found the best mid-sized, general-purpose search coil to be the newer 9" 'spider' Concentric coil that Gregg Z. has listed.

One of the more attractive design moves White's made in the past half-decade was to bring out the MX5 with the 9" Concentric coil. Personally, I have never cared for any of the '950' labeled search coils as the rod-mount point to too close to the back of the coil and that gives it more of a nose-heavy feel and the coil can get floppy easier.

With all of the 6.59 kHz models, like the XLT, XL Pro, IDX Pro, Classic ID, etc., I would dump the 950 coil in a hurry (or the thicker 8" on the Classic ID) and go with the thinner-profile Royal 800 8" Concentric coil on any of these ... if I was not using the smaller 6½" Concentric in trashier places.

On the MXT and Spectra series models, I quickly got rid of any 950 Concentric or 10" D2 DD coil and mounted the 9" 'spider' Concentric coil for better balance and feel, and in many cases better in-the-field performance. You'll notice the rod-mount point is notably closer to the center of the coil for a much better 'feel.'

I am not surprised someone quickly snapped-up the 6½" Concentric Gregg listed (White's call it a 5.75) but I feel somebody out there is missing out on getting one of the two best coils White's produces for these models, the 9" Spider Concentric coil. I'm posting my unsolicited comments simply because if I were shopping for a coil, the 9" Concentric is harder to find in a clean, 'as-new' condition than the 6½" and I honestly thought the 9" would have been bought first once I saw his ad. I know I would have, if I were looking for either of the two coils Gregg listed. thumbs up

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

My Regular-Use Detectors:
Nokta: Two each of the following: Impact, FORS Relic and FORS CoRe
Tesoro: Vaquero, Silver Sabre µMAX and Mojave
White's: MX7 (coming soon)

Other Specialty-Use Detectors from:
Compass, Makro, Nokta, Tesoro and White's
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand, NOT in my order of preference for use. Additional search coils on-hand in accessory bags.

Pinpointers: Using Nokta and Makro Pointers.
Headphones: Using the Killer B 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147
Subject Author Views Posted

FS Whites 9" Spider Coil & 5.3 Eclipse Coil Attachments

OregonGregg 425 January 14, 2017 03:06PM

9" Spider Coil no longer available....have decided to keep it .

OregonGregg 278 January 16, 2017 10:01PM

If you're using an MXT series model, including the M6 and MX5,

Monte 366 January 15, 2017 03:23AM

5.3 Eclipse Coil is sold. N/T

OregonGregg 266 January 14, 2017 10:23PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 7
Record Number of Guests: 182 on September 16, 2016