Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How about Anything vs Relic?

December 16, 2018 08:57AM avatar
Due to doctor's encouragement and to address my into-the-future limited/restricted mobility, I am going to be selling or trading off some of my current detector outfit and some 'duplicate' models .... but not all of them. I might be taking my current 14 detector Regular-Use Outfit down to maybe 9 detectors, possibly even fewer. In the thinning-out process, however, I am NOT letting go of my Nokta FORS CoRe or FORS Relic devices. Never! Not as long as I can still get out and enjoy this great sport.

Fish N Chips
I started musing on the Tesoro sub-forum about a new detector, mainly to add something new to my older nail ridden sites but also would like a more general use detector. I have a Teknetics T2 and a Tesoro Eldorado and Silver μMAX. I have had great success with them and my Eldorado is my go to detector for trashy/nail ridden sites with my T2 a close second, company and my kids usually use the Silver.
Many detectors can handle BOTH types of applications you are asking about, but they might not provide the absolute BEST performance for one or the other. I think it's best to isolate the category you are most interested in handling. I enjoy Coin & Jewelry Hunting which can include parks and other grassy type locations. But for me, those are secondary to my primary sites of interest where iron nails, rusty tin and other ferrous and non-ferrous debris must be dealt with. Places with little to no modern-day junk. Just older trash to deal with in the search for older coins, trade tokens and other early-era 'keepers.'

I keep a couple of proven Tesoro models in my personal outfit because they do well in such environments, such as a Bandido II microMAX equipped with a 6" Concentric coil. But I also have some modern, more feature-equipped detectors that have proven themselves to me through the years and I try to maintain the best-of-the-best in my Regular-Use Detector Outfit.

Fish N Chips
I am contemplating a detector which would work at my old 1800s homesteads in the thick carpet of nails, but also open up the local park opportunities. I am not a fan of parks but a lot of time that is all that is available to me due to weather or time. They are old parks but the amount of modern trash, foil and bottle caps left from the homeless and park users is troublesome.
For me, it is a matter of having a Target ID & Tone ID model that will best tackle the old homesteads, ghost towns, encampment sites, etc., where nails are the #1 challenge, then also do well with other early period debris. I also want a detector or two that can work OK in modern locations, such as parks, schools, private yards, and so forth, and deal with dense modern junk as well as provide some better depth-of-detection in open areas that are void of shallower masking targets.

Fish N Chips
My T2 has the depth but struggles with bottle caps, the bottle cap program on the T2 works but I loose deeper coins. My Tesoros handle the bottle caps but struggle with depth in some of the faster sink rate areas. I just do not have the patience to dig a lot of modern trash (although no issue digging old trash at historic sites). I know I miss stuff in the parks, but a machine with good discrimination would be fantastic.
I have owned several Teknetics T2's and have had a love/hate relationship with them. In 2010 I added a T2 to my Regular-Use Detector Outfit because I loved the comfortable balance and feel and the ease of operation. Controls are very well laid out. And I really liked the performance in iron nail contaminated sites when using the small 5" DD coil as it handled dense nails better than my Teknetics Omega 8000 with the same size 5" DD coil, and better than my White's MXT Pro w/6½" Concentric coil.

But that was it so far as the T2 was concerned. For most of my typical Urban Coin Hunting I preferred the MXT Pro and Omega 8000 because both of those models gave me better TID lock-on with mid-depth to deeper targets than I ever got with the T2 and 11" BiAxial coil, and like I said, I have owned several of them. Of the two urban use models I actually grew to prefer my Omega 8000 because it was very light weight and easier on my bad back/neck/shoulder which allowed me longer hunt times.

That all changed on January 8th of 2015, almost four years ago. That was the day I had a new detector delivered which I assembled and set out to evaluate against every detector I had at the time. I never opened the User Manual as I usually don't because I want to get a 'feel' for a device to see if it is easily understandable, simple to use, with functional controls, and provides acceptable performance afield. At that time I had the following TID and Tone ID models on-hand:

Fisher F75 and F19, White's modified Classic ID and IDX Pro, MX5, MXT Pro and XLT, Teknetics T2 and Omega 8000

In the next 24 hours to five days I used my Nail Board, several test samples from my seminar kit, and took detectors to a freshwater beach, two grassy parks, and four or five older sites that included a homestead, outbuildings and a school site. All these older places presented me with a lot of iron nails and other early-day junk to deal with from the 1875to 1930 era. I did a lot of search coil swapping to evaluate models for iron nail, rusty crud and modern trash handing, depth of detection in sparse target areas, and to also get a 'feel' for the balance and comfort while listening to audio response performance.

I then started parting with almost everything I had, and the last of the models I had on hand I sold off was the Teknetics Omega 8000 because it was the better Coin Hunting unit of the models I had owned. I still had my Tesoro's, and also a modified Classic ID,

The model I received that simply out-performed all the others and was so well balanced and comfortable to use was the new Nokta FORS CoRe. That set the stage for the direction I was going to travel and have a terrific all-purpose outfit, especially for addressing dense iron contaminated sites.

Fish N Chips
I have an old 1900s autopark I would love to detect more but after digging 60+ Modelo bottle caps I was done.
I love Auto-Park campgrounds just as I do old popular Picnic Groves where bottle caps tend to be plentiful. More often than not, anywhere bottle caps seem to be, the bulk of them are relatively shallow, in the surface to ±3" depth range. Put any good detector in my hands, with or without Target ID or Tone ID, and I can usually hunt up all sorts of coins and keepers and perhaps recover only 2 to 5 bottle caps in an hour or two. It's relatively simple using the right ATC (Audio Target Classification) techniques, and I've used and taught these methods since about '72.

I prefer using smaller-size coils, and nothing larger than 8", in modern trash sites, and most of my Coin Hunting in these types of locations is handled with a roundish-shaped coil in the 5" to 7" diameter. I enjoy locating such places because most Hobbyists who have hunted them in more recent years with our modern VLF-Disc. aka motion-based Discriminators are going to have more trouble with Bottle Caps and similar man-made ferrous junk. Why? Because trash gets very frustrating and the bulk of the problem means they either increase their Disc. level way too high to deal with Bottle Caps or they simply leave. I enjoy hunting those places.smiling smiley

Fish N Chips
I can pick up a Bandito II or a used Relic with all the coils pretty reasonable and they would likely open up some new targets at my sites.
A good Bandido II µMAX is great to have in a detector arsenal, with a smaller Concentric coil, and the Relic is, for me, a 'must-have' for taking on nails and other iron, especially with the 5" DD coil.

Fish N Chips
Monte seems to really like the Relic.
Yes indeed! Ever since January of 2016 when the prototype arrived for final review and input, and it signaled my Act Two. As I stated, the Nokta CoRe 'set the stage for the direction I was going to travel' and the new model, to be named the Nokta Relic, was the Second Act in the presentation on how to enjoy Relic Hunting where the nails and other dense ferrous debris exists.

With the 5" DD coil mounted, and making use of this 19 kHz model's Tone Break and Iron Audio Volume to address the hindering loud noise of troublesome iron, the Nokta Relic quickly stepped up to be my #1 Relic Hunting unit. As we end three years of using the Relic around homesteads, old dense ferrous littered RR ghost towns, gold mining town sites, stage stops and RR depot sites, pioneer and military encampments and any nail infested site you can imagine ... it remains untouched as my All Time Favorite Relic Hunting device.

Fish N Chips
The Anfibio is water proof which would be nice for rainy days and coastal detecting, and I like that it can take concentric coils for that added discrimination. Is the Anfibio worth the extra expense for the unit and then the assortment of coils and shafts I would need to buy?
Yes, it is worth it to some people, especially if they are going to dunk the detector and their selves in water or put up with a lot of heavy rain. To me, the better 3-coil set-up for the Anfibio Multi is the stock 11" DD for more open areas with sparse targets, the 7" Concentric for all types of day-to-day hunting, and the 5" DD which is a killer of a coil in dense iron debris.

The Anfibio is a really class act detector with plenty of features and performance. With a borrowed 5" DD and using 20 kHz it compared well with my 19 kHz Relic w/5" DD coil. But for me and my limitations, weight and balance are important and the Relic and CoRe, virtually identical in physical configuration and weight, are my two best-balanced Relic Hunting models. The CoRe for most places where iron isn't as numerous, and the Relic when I want to tackle nasty ferrous trash the best.

Fish N Chips
Can the Relic better handle park trash than my T2?
In my opinion, Yes. It will handle it as well or better, just as I can with the CoRe. But that's because it isn't just handling the trash, but being able to provide better TID 'lock-on' when in areas with less shallow trash where the T2 doesn't do nearly as well.

Fish N Chips
I am bad about spending money so research all my purchases to death. The cost savings are tempting, but do I like what the Anfibio has to offer.
Just be cautious about the videos you might watch. Some have a bias for or against a model that you might not catch. Some don't show the performance you might get in your soil compared with that of the videographer. Today, local metal detector dealers are basically a thing of the past for the most part, so if you have the opportunity to meet up with someone who owns and uses and knows the models you might question, try to get with them to learn more fist-hand.

I can't remember where you are located but wish you had an opportunity to meet up with me as I could lay out about six test samples for comparison with any detector and it would give you a chance to see the strengths and weaknesses of several detectors. None are perfect, which is why I keep several in my outfit. Some mainly for urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting, some more assigned for serious Relic Hunting, and a few that are less 'specialized' but still decent multi-purpose and can also be used for certain Cache Hunting chores I am contracted to do.

Fish N Chips
What is a reasonable cost for a used Nokta Relic if I choose to go that route? i wish i had a dealer close to me to actually see the units, but there is nothing close.
Yep, forget dealers. A used but decent Relic to a new and choice condition Relic with both the standard coils tends to run from $350 to $500.

Fish N Chips
Looking around I see most used Nokta Relics are going for $400 dollars with several coils. The Anfibio is $899 and then the 5" coil and 7" coils and shafts would put it up over $1000. Is the extra $600 dollars worth it? Thanks.
To some people, Yes. The Anfibio Multi is a very reasonably priced detector at the brand new MSRP. For the same money, however, someone could buy a Relic and maybe an additional detector to complement it for other applications.

Fish N Chips
Thanks Druid, I am leaning toward the Relic more, especially as people upgrade to the new machines and the prices drop. Does Makro/Nokta still service the Relic if something goes wrong? I do see a larger concentric coil works on the Relic so that may work for park hunts, I do like concentric coils especially in modern trash. It would be nice if the new 7" concentric worked on it, but I am betting not.
I usually prefer a Concentric coil, but it depends on how the detector is designed. I do wish they would have made the 7" Concentric for the CoRe and Relic, but I have other models with similar Concentric coils for typical day-to-day detecting. I very seldom use a 'standard' size coil because I hunt old littered relic sites and modern littered urban sites, therefore I only use smaller to mid-sized search coils. I keep an open-frame 5X9½ DD on one CoRe and one Relic, and an 'OOR' DD on the other CoRe and 5" DD on my other Relic. For most hunting I do, in heavy trash or mild-to-moderate trash, I have the bases covered.

As for a Nokta-Makro Service Center, I am not sure, but they are supposed to be announcing one soon here in the USA.

Fish N Chips
Honestly it isn't like a new detector is magically going to change my opinion of parks, some people love them and I respect them for it, but I like old iron ridden sites where little to no modern trash can be found. The sites are full of square nails and bits of rusted tin and scrap iron. I may be better off with a different style of relic detector that can double duty for a park or beach hunt as that is a rarer hunt for me. I should choose the detector for what I love to do rather than what I occasionally do, lol.
And here you finally reached the answer to your own initial question.

Like you, I much prefer to hunt old iron contaminated sites where I seldom encounter much modern trash. Square nails, round nails, short nails to long nails, straight nails to bent nails ... those are places I have enjoyed planting myself for a day of fun ever since early May of 1969. I have several units in my Detector Outfit that can work those sites OK, such as my Tesoro Bandido II µMAX or Silver Sabre µMAX, or my White's modified Classic ID or newer MX-7 .... but by far you are going to see a CoRe or Relic in my hands when conditions get extreme.

And for those parks and other 'local' areas where modern trash gets annoying but when time is limited and I can at least go hunting, I can use any of my above mentioned do-them-both detectors. However, I will more often just grab a Fisher F44 or Teknetics Omega 8000 for urban TID Coin Hunting. Yes, I could maybe trim my arsenal down a little, and am doing so now. And I could eliminate the duplicate models I have, such as an extra CoRe or Relic or Omega 8K or Bandido II µMAX .... but there's no need to. I have a very reliable set of proven detectors for almost any need I am likely to encounter, and since I try to Relic Hunt the most, the CoRe and Relic are my 'must-haves,' to be sure.

Fish N Chips
I will look through some videos on the Relic and see if it is what I want. I know it seems to have a cult following, which says a lot. I could off set a purchase with selling some of my detectors, but like having some good detectors for differing conditions and as back-up.
Again, be cautious watching anyone's video. Enjoy them for what they are and try to learn from the positive things they say or show. I will say this, however, that if you purchase a Relic and work it in the iron littered sites you refer to, the T2 will likely be the first detector you will want to but on the 'For Sale' block.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Regular-Use Outfit: Nokta / Makro: 4 models .. Teknetics: 1 model
Tesoro: 2 models .. White's 1 model .. XP: 1 model
A Handy Loaner Unit: Fisher: F-44
Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' -- Detector Pro Gray Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Anfibio vs Relic?

Fish N Chips 327 December 15, 2018 12:42PM

How about Anything vs Relic?

Monte 338 December 16, 2018 08:57AM

Re: How about Anything vs Relic?

Fish N Chips 245 December 16, 2018 11:16AM

Timbertodd 221 December 16, 2018 12:29PM

Fish N Chips 206 December 16, 2018 03:59PM

Re: Anfibio vs Relic?

Fish N Chips 266 December 15, 2018 12:49PM

Druid 267 December 15, 2018 03:22PM

Fish N Chips 219 December 15, 2018 04:51PM

Druid 203 December 16, 2018 05:52PM

Anfibio nail board test?

Fish N Chips 249 December 16, 2018 11:14PM

Anfibio 'series' and the Nail Board. ... Naturally, one of my multiple test scenarios.

Monte 322 December 17, 2018 05:26AM

Re: Anfibio 19 may be a good option.

Fish N Chips 237 December 17, 2018 09:44AM

The Anfibio 19 and the FORS Relic.thinking

Monte 267 December 18, 2018 12:51PM

Re: The Anfibio 19 and the FORS Relic.thinking

Fish N Chips 227 December 18, 2018 08:12PM

Re: Anfibio 19 may be a good option.

Remfire 224 December 18, 2018 07:53AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 12
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018