Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I like 'Simple,' using smaller to mid-sized coils, and ...

February 20, 2019 07:14AM avatar
finding US Coins and other smaller stuff of interest. Especially older and more interesting coins which is why I concentrate on older and interesting sites that are more out-of-the-way and often iron littered.

Old ghost towns and homesteads, stage and railroad stops, pioneer gathering areas, picnic resorts and any other place that had human activity long ago can provide me most of those opportunities, and they also surrender Trade Tokens that I really enjoy finding and a lot of very interesting smaller-size keepers from that early era.

But I don't ignore urban Coin Hunting, either. I don't have the ability to hunt them long and hard like I used to, and the getting down and back up for frequent recoveries starts to limit my duration quickly. But the good news is that while most of the common sites might be very trashy, the majority of that is newer, non-ferrous junk and some detectors can deal with that better than they can when it comes to a lot of nails or other cast-aside small iron trash.

jmaryt
hi monte!
as you are aware by now, i am strictly a '"coin freak" my motive for asking is simple!. i am trying to ascertain the "best" equipment for the "nasty" and i mean "nasty" parks, schools, curb strips, ball fields, and various other "old" places that have virtually been "junked" out today.
My current set-up is pretty simple. If a site is older and has a lot of nails and other iron junk like nuts, bolts, screws, etc., and in close relationship to Coins, Tokens, Jewelry, and the like, I will grab the best dense-iron handling and unmasking detectors I own, the Nokta FORS Relic and then FORS CoRe, and use only their smallest DD search coil. A 5" DD on the Relic and the Out-Of-Round 4.7X5.2 DD on the CoRe.

If a location has older desirable potential and just enough nails and ferrous trash to be annoying but more reasonably spaced for other detectors and coils to handle it, I might still just use my CoRe and/or Relic, but I might also grab a Nokta-Makro Anfibio Multi and work the 5" DD coil or the Teknetics T2+ w/5" DD, and maybe a Fisher F44 w/5" DD, or a Tek. Omega 8000 w/5" DD.

If it is a more modern-use location but likely to have bothersome modern trash such as foil, tabs, screw caps and all sorts of discarded non-ferrous debris, and if there is a LOT of modern trash to contend with, my favorite detector and coil combinations I grab, in order of preference, are these: Nokta FORS CoRe w/'OOR' DD, FORS Relic w/5" DD, Teknetics T2+ w/5" DD, Fisher F44 w/5" DD.

For other urban Coin Hunting where the site is a little larger, such as an open park or school or sports field, and where the amount of trash is not as abundant and is more spread out, then I often opt for a mid-sized search coil and my current favorites in order would be the: My 2nd FORS CoRe with an open-frame 5X9½ DD, or 2nd FORS Relic w/5X9½ DD, the T2+ w/5" until I get a mid-size elliptical DD, F44 w/7" Concentric, Omega 8K w/7" Concentric and Anfibio Multi w/7" Concentric.

jmaryt
at the moment, the t2+ with the 5 on board is in the lead. i believe these tests are 'critical" in determining the 'right" equipment to tackle those areas. i want to "thank you" for making the time to conduct these tests so we all can benefit. not just me, but everyone who hunts "crap" filled sites, which is just about everywhere these days.
You are welcome, and I enjoy evaluating detectors because I also like to have a decent working selection in my own Detector Outfit for different site challenges.

There are a lot of makes and models to select from, and not mentioned but on-hand as well, would be one of my two all-time favorite Tesoro's, but they lack visual Target ID and audio Tone ID which puts them in a different group than a lot of folks consider. For me, however, they definitely have their place and they see a lot of use, especially in urban Coin Hunting locations such as tot-lots and similar high activity/quick recovery areas.

When it is not really cold or we have snow covered ground, I always try to keep 2 or 3 detectors on the back seat of my vehicle to be ready for any detecting opportunity that comes my way. When I set out for a deliberate metal detecting journey for a day or two or maybe a week or so, I typically load 5 to 7 detectors to complement each other. I can assure you that for over 4 years now one of those is always going to be a FORS CoRe and for over 3 years another is a FORS Relic. The rest that tag along on a dedicated jaunt would include a T2+, F44 or Omega 8000, and Bandido II µMAX. If going for more than a day there's an extra CoRe w/5X9½, extra Relic w/5X9½ and ????.

Like a good Scout or anyone preparing for what might come their way, I like to be prepared to take on an assortment of conditions.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Fisher: 1, Nokta-Makro: 3, Teknetics: 1, Tesoro: 2, White's: 2, XP: 1
Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's 'Pro Star'
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Just a really quick response about the Anfibio Multi.

Monte 242 February 19, 2019 05:27AM

Re: Just a really quick response about the Anfibio Multi.

jmaryt 166 February 19, 2019 05:29PM

Yes, I have been using the 5" DD coils ... and Yes, I have been

Monte 163 February 19, 2019 06:48PM

Re: Yes, I have been using the 5" DD coils ... and Yes, I have been

jmaryt 161 February 19, 2019 08:17PM

I like 'Simple,' using smaller to mid-sized coils, and ...

Monte 165 February 20, 2019 07:14AM

Re: I like 'Simple,' using smaller to mid-sized coils, and ...

jmaryt 125 February 21, 2019 12:48AM

There are only 4 ways to deal with 'good-target masking.'

Monte 193 February 21, 2019 07:11AM

Re: There are only 4 ways to deal with 'good-target masking.'

jmaryt 152 February 21, 2019 04:04PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 30
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018