Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Horrible hunt situation

April 22, 2019 04:12AM
Club member had permission to hunt a 45 acre farm site. Back in the 1800's to about 1900 were four houses and two school houses. About 15 of us club members went out to hunt there. There was some debris such as glass and some pottery shards spread over the farm field as well as buried iron.

Now keep in mind most left after 1 hour of hunting. Partly due to the cold temps and a howling wind whipping across the field or was it the thousands and thousands of both hot and cold rocks of all shapes and sizes buried and laying on the surface everywhere?

Seemed like only the two guys with Equinox units found anything, 1834 token and several bird bands. Otherwise we dug some junk.

The big problem was with the rocks. I was using the Anfibio-multi with the new 11DD coil. Have to say it was a horrible hunt. I lasted two hours as a few others. Nothing really to show for the effort. I could not get the Anfibio tuned to make for a comfortable hunt. Ground balance to a hot rock, then all the other types sounded off with a higher tone. Ground balancing to the soil, didn't really work either. Like a machine gun affair if you swept the coil too fast. Basically I ended up just going thru the motions of hunting and got an ear bashing whale of a time.

Anyone else run into a situation like this? Even Keith Southern, didn't have a real solution to this. After doing research on the web. [www.metaldetectingworld.com] The only real information that may help was to switch to a smaller elliptical DD search coil. If that is the case, what would be better to try the 5" round DD or the small elliptical DD unless there is a better solution?

Another thought was to just give up using a VLF there and try my Pi with the 5 or 7" mono coil, the Pi designed and calibrated for small gold to get past the rocks?

--------------------------------------------------------------
I dig it with a Nokta/Makro product.
Impact.....M-Kruzer.....now Anfibio-Multi
Subject Author Views Posted

Horrible hunt situation

SvenS 245 April 22, 2019 04:12AM

Re: Horrible hunt situation

Druid 138 April 23, 2019 05:15PM

Other info needed.

Monte 179 April 22, 2019 01:09PM

Re: Other info needed. Attachments

SvenS 203 April 22, 2019 06:45PM

Re: Other info needed.

Druid 125 April 23, 2019 05:25PM

Thanks for the reply, Sven. It's one of those places that ...

Monte 146 April 23, 2019 01:16AM

Re: Thanks for the reply, Sven. It's one of those places that ...

Druid 125 April 23, 2019 05:26PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 20
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018