Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Other info needed.

April 22, 2019 01:09PM avatar
Miserable weather can easily drive off folks, but if they are not used to hunting in a dense, debris-contaminated site, that can get them frustrated or depressed even faster than a bad weather day.

Now to your issues:

• Were those naturally occurring hot and cold rocks, or were you working a site with scattered 'coal clinkers?'

• What search mode were you using?

• What were the Discriminate settings used?

And my thoughts of search coil selection:

This is an easy one foe me because I prefer only three coils with an Anfibio Multi. The standard round 11" DD is a terrific coil to use on more open sites than have a low target count. Too many closely-associated targets can mas or degrade a desired target's response. I like this coil size and type for places like a wide-open grassy park away from picnic and gathering areas that are often trashy.

My preferred general-purpose search coil is the round 7" Concentric that I like to use virtually anywhere. It is a near perfect coil size and type for the Racer 2, Impact, and the Kruzer and Anfibio series models that share that coil. Very good for places with an average amount of trash to deal with and even better than one might think in sites that are a bit more challenging.

The round 5" DD is the 'go-to' search coil when it comes to taking on very densely littered sites, and especially those with an abundance of nails, cut wire, iron hardware like screws, bolts, nuts, hinges, etc., and other ferrous debris. Especially when dealing with rusty tin.

With those three coils I would all the bases covered with the likes of a Racer 2, Impact or Multi-Kruzer or Anfibio Multi. I've used the 4X7½ DD and it's okay for some Coin Hunting in typical urban environments or other sites that lack a lot of iron junk. But in a dense iron nail challenge, the 5" coil was made to better deal with those challenges, and it certainly proved itself in side-by-side comparisons with the 4X7½ DD.

If I would have been along with you and your group, and I had an Anfibio Multi in-hand I can guarantee it would have had the 7" Concentric mounted since you mentioned the site had a long ago history of human activity.

One more question:

• Did you get VDI read-outs from the 'rocks' that caused the annoyance, and if so, what were those readings?

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Regular-Use Outfit: Nokta / Makro: FORS CoRe, FORS Relic, Racer 2 and Simplex+
Tesoro: Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX .. XP: ORX
Specialty-Use Outfit: Fisher: F-44 .. White's: XLT and modified IDX Pro
Killer B's 'Hornet' -- Detector Pro Grey Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Horrible hunt situation

SvenS 244 April 22, 2019 04:12AM

Re: Horrible hunt situation

Druid 137 April 23, 2019 05:15PM

Other info needed.

Monte 176 April 22, 2019 01:09PM

Re: Other info needed. Attachments

SvenS 203 April 22, 2019 06:45PM

Re: Other info needed.

Druid 125 April 23, 2019 05:25PM

Thanks for the reply, Sven. It's one of those places that ...

Monte 146 April 23, 2019 01:16AM

Re: Thanks for the reply, Sven. It's one of those places that ...

Druid 124 April 23, 2019 05:26PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 31
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018