Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A few initial comments about the Simplex +.

December 01, 2019 09:23AM avatar
When I evaluate any detector, whether I really like them or not, I am always alert for good points and bad points. Strengths and weaknesses. In the post below by SvenS I read some of his opinions that are similar to things I have been noticing. I have more jotted in my notebook, on both the + and - side, but I haven't had more than an hour in bitter cold 22 MPH wind to check out the Simplex + outdoors.

Most of my evaluation have been indoors where EMI causes some problems at times, and I need to get it out to a few sites to use in a natural setting. It's 5:45 AM Sunday morning, cold, windy, and we're forecast to get maybe 4" of snow today and a little tonight and Monday morning then possible rain. Wednesday through Friday we should warm up to ± 43° and the snow should be gone, at least in some of the places I plan to go search.

When I finish my evaluation and share the results with Dilek, I'll then prepare my comments for the Forum. In the meantime, however, I just thought I'd touch on a few nice things about the Simplex+ design that most haven't heard yet or read about on other Forums. There is a lot of good thinking in the feature set and their functionality that complement the wonderful build quality. Why don't I start with that first.

The Physical package:

• The overall build quality, as has been mentioned, is very impressive. Solid and very physically 'functional.'

• The collapsible rod system is nice and lets the owner shorten the overall length for easier packing in a vehicle which can help prevent damage. Warning / Suggestion: With the Simplex+ and other models that have a comparable rod-set and collapsible design, such as the XP Deus and ORX or Nokta / Makro Impact or Anfibio series, I always recommend wiping down the lower and middle rods first to remove any dirt, mud, sand or grit. It you don't, then the loose dirty material can scratch the inside and outside of the rods, and also scratch the compression rod lock device. This can also lead to 'binding' over time.

• The arm cup is comfortable for me,, bare arm to sweater to jacket and does have the arm-strap.

• The detector 'feet' or 'legs', call them what you will, under the arm cup are also well designed to keep the device in a good, upright position when set down for target recovery. The folks at XP ought to take a look at a much better design.thumbs up

• The hand-grip is perhaps thee best feeling grip I have ever used on a detector. A good contour, nice fit, and 'grippy' to hang onto.

• The control system box is mounted very rigidly with no flex. The buttons are something all manufacturers ought to consider and I sure hope the next model introduced by Nokta / Makro uses the same control buttons, if in a design like this model. Best I've ever used.

• The rods fit well and the compression locks work very well. And the search coil mounting uses the familiar in-set rubber washers and coil mounting bolt and nut ... non-metal, of course.

General Adjustment Functions:

• The On/Off button, bottom center, turns the Simplex + On or Off and has a ▼ Down Arrow and is also used for Sensitivity Decrease. Above it is a ▲ button or Up Arrow for Sensitivity Increase.

• On the lower-left side is the Pinpoint / Confirm Button and it is also used for Ground Balance.

• On the Lower right is the Settings button that scrolls through the available Adjustment Functions show along the bottom of the display. Thoe include: Volume, Ground Balance, Iron Volume, Notch Discrimination, Frequency Shift, Wireless Connection, Vibration, Display Brightness and LED Flashlight.

• The top two buttons, indicated with a ◄ and ► arrow are for Settings Adjustments to Decrease or Increase a setting.

Above Average Control Settings for each Search Mode:

There are 4 Search Modes: All Metal, Field, Park and Beach. This might be an "Entry Level" model, but Nokta / Makro didn't cut all the corners in its design. Not only did they add more adjustment features to this $299 MSRP model, but they followed their design adjustment on some of these features as follows.

Sensitivity: Even though the Sensitivity level can be increased or decreased as desired "on-the-fly" in any of the four search modes, EACH mode uses ITS OWN Sensitivity level setting so the user can determine what Sensitivity Level they prefer for each mode. Those are SAVED at turn-off for each mode so the Simplex + is 'ready-to-go' at turn-on with the settings you prefer.thumbs up

Iron Audio Volume: You have the choice of Off, Low, Medium or High Iron Volume levels On my FORS Relic and Racer 2 that I keep ready on daily travel for any spur-of-the-moment use, they have their own search modes and usually I rely on 3-Tone, then 2-Tone and in select conditions Deep mode. In 3-Tone I might use it more often in an urban setting with 'city noise' to deal with and I like the Iron Audio Volume set at '3' but with Deep mode and 2-Tone mode I prefer a lower setting of '2' because I am not in a very noisy environment. I saved my Iron Volume setting selected for each mode with my Relic and Racer 2. NOTE: Some Relic and Racer 2 users, or newer Nokta / Makro Models, are unaware they can 'individualize' each mode for for the Sensitivity AND Iron Volume levels.

Guess what ... This "Entry Level" Simplex + also provides that SAVE feature for each mode's settings, too.!thumbs up

Well, there's a little info for now. My Simplex + is now on the battery charger and I'm going to get my boots on and go shovel 3" of snow, which is still coming down. The weather report still suggests 41° to 43° by Wednesday thru Friday so I will get to take the Simplex + fr some natural outdoor hunting. In the meantime, if you have any specific questions, drop me an e-mail.

Enjoy the season!

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Regular-Use Outfit: Nokta / Makro: FORS CoRe, FORS Relic, Racer 2 and Simplex+ .. Teknetics: T2+
Tesoro: Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX .. White's modified IDX Pro .. XP: ORX
A Handy Loaner Unit: Fisher: F-44
Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' -- Detector Pro Gray Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

I've started my evaluation of the new Simplex +.

Monte 62 November 28, 2019 09:13AM

Snow-thrower and Frequency Shift aided my Simplex + work.

Monte 17 December 03, 2019 10:29PM

Re: I've started my evaluation of the new Simplex +.

GeoW 19 December 01, 2019 08:40PM

I appreiate 'Air Test' aka 'Bench Test' reports.

Monte 27 December 02, 2019 07:07AM

Re: I've started my evaluation of the new Simplex +.

SvenS 17 December 01, 2019 09:44PM

A few initial comments about the Simplex +.

Monte 35 December 01, 2019 09:23AM

Re: A few initial comments about the Simplex +.

Kickindirt 22 December 01, 2019 12:02PM

I feel ther Simplex+ really needs at least two accessory coils.

Monte 20 December 02, 2019 06:26AM

Headed out the door at 7:15 AM to get to a hunt site.

Monte 41 November 29, 2019 08:29AM

Re: Headed out the door at 7:15 AM to get to a hunt site.

Kickindirt 33 November 29, 2019 01:11PM

Joel, overall, the Simplex+ has a lot to offer. Correct.

Monte 43 November 30, 2019 01:19AM

Re: Joel, overall, the Simplex+ has a lot to offer. Correct.

SvenS 42 November 30, 2019 06:27PM

Bit of an update

SvenS 32 December 01, 2019 04:42PM

Re: Joel, overall, the Simplex+ has a lot to offer. Correct.

Kickindirt 28 November 30, 2019 10:53PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018