Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bit of an update

December 01, 2019 04:42PM
Did some more extensive bench air testing.
Going to blame some of the poor results of indoor EMI.
Had better results this afternoon when less EMI was present.
I was determined to see what more I could extract in the various modes.

Ground balance will have an impact on detection performance. The Simplex is cable to penetrate black magnetic beach sands but lowers ID #'s.

For 12 grain gold nugget and small gold ear loops, best if no notching is used. Might be the best to use Field mode for prospecting or tiny small gold jewelry hunting. If you plan on notching, only notch the first pixel. Which is the 0-5 disc range. Foil will come in around 15-18, small gold 16-20. As will the small gold. This is an excellent choice for school yard and park hunting.

Beach Mode works excellent with 3 pixels notched, effectively eliminates small iron nails. Somewhat above Tesoros small nail disc setting. Does detect deep on larger coin sized targets. This is one of my choices of modes to use while park, schoolyard hunting when extra depth is needed.

Park Mode, when not looking for Anfibio depth and just coins to 6" deep with accurate tone and ID numbers, if you go by the tones and not the ID numbers you can gain some extra depth.

Overall air test on large cents and large coins and a 14kt gold mans wedding band hover around the 14-16" distance from the coil. Did find that the Simplex does give a better audio report on gold. Better at unmasking gold rings today, depending upon the two targets were orientated on the coil. Found silver coins on edge basically gave the same target ID number as when lying flat.

Best unmasking will be with no notching. If your used to running a detectors using notching and missing good targets, then by all means do notch. For those of us who don't mind hunting with trash noise will benefit from the Simplex's performance.

So for overall hunting gold, silver coins, jewelry, will give the Simplex a higher score today. More enthused about using it in the field.

From a Canadian point of view:
The biggie for me and many Canadians is the ability to detect the clad coinage that is made of nickel plated steel. The good news if your careful you'll find the newer coins that haven't sunk past 3". After that the sound is ratty and they will ID in the iron zone target number 4. Also, all older clad coins before 2010 give a better target signal and ID higher, you'll still have to decide to dig or not. Dimes will be an issue, nickels are the next problematic coins. Now the kicker is, any of these clad coins on edge will ID as 4, rarely 3. I am leaning towards using Field mode to get the best depth on these clad coins. With no notching. To find clad will take some learning of tones, ID numbers before you can be proficient. Now if you don't give a hoot about modern Can. clad and just hunt for copper, brass, silver, gold and relics, the Simplex will perform well for you. Then the above will never be an issue, picking a piece of clad now and then will just be a bonus item.

As for detection of Loonies and Toonies ($1 and $2 coins), shouldn't be an issue locating them even with the newer coins suffering severe depth loss and low target ID numbers as most won't be deeper than 5-6". The older Loons and Toons will come in with a nice clear crisp high sound with a positive ID number. Definitely a Loonie, Toonie machine. If you don't rely on target ID and go by audio, they still can be picked up about 4" or so beyond the ID capability of the Simplex. If you don't care about the clad, Beach mode should be the hot ticket.

Canadians tend to find coin spills on a routine basis. Will be interesting to see how the Simplex ID's them.
So today, I give the Simplex a thumbs up. With high hopes for a smaller sized search coil before spring time.

Just an added note those early Tombac nickels give the Simplex a problem. And choice of wired headphones, audio sensitivity might affect detection results. I have linear volume controls on my headphones as with most. I think a tapered log audio volume control replacement would give a better, finer volume control when using Park 3 tone mode.

Ohh, forgot to add, this may not have anything to do with todays and yesterdays testing results. Today I extended the lower rod further away from the control box. Just throwing this out there.

--------------------------------------------------------------
I dig it with a Nokta/Makro product.
Impact.....M-Kruzer.....now Anfibio-Multi

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2019 05:16PM by SvenS.
Subject Author Views Posted

I've started my evaluation of the new Simplex +.

Monte 62 November 28, 2019 09:13AM

Snow-thrower and Frequency Shift aided my Simplex + work.

Monte 17 December 03, 2019 10:29PM

Re: I've started my evaluation of the new Simplex +.

GeoW 19 December 01, 2019 08:40PM

I appreiate 'Air Test' aka 'Bench Test' reports.

Monte 27 December 02, 2019 07:07AM

Re: I've started my evaluation of the new Simplex +.

SvenS 17 December 01, 2019 09:44PM

A few initial comments about the Simplex +.

Monte 35 December 01, 2019 09:23AM

Re: A few initial comments about the Simplex +.

Kickindirt 22 December 01, 2019 12:02PM

I feel ther Simplex+ really needs at least two accessory coils.

Monte 20 December 02, 2019 06:26AM

Headed out the door at 7:15 AM to get to a hunt site.

Monte 41 November 29, 2019 08:29AM

Re: Headed out the door at 7:15 AM to get to a hunt site.

Kickindirt 33 November 29, 2019 01:11PM

Joel, overall, the Simplex+ has a lot to offer. Correct.

Monte 43 November 30, 2019 01:19AM

Re: Joel, overall, the Simplex+ has a lot to offer. Correct.

SvenS 42 November 30, 2019 06:27PM

Bit of an update

SvenS 31 December 01, 2019 04:42PM

Re: Joel, overall, the Simplex+ has a lot to offer. Correct.

Kickindirt 28 November 30, 2019 10:53PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 11
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018