Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Snow-thrower and Frequency Shift aided my Simplex + work.

December 03, 2019 09:29PM avatar
Sunday morning I awoke to our first decent winter snowfall and shoveled 5" while it kept coming down. Before sunset we had an additional 4+" of snow covering the sidewalk and driveway I shoveled. Monday morning I cleared the sidewalk but was worn out from doing what I shouldn't. Monte Jr. dropped off a couple of grandsons to shovel off the driveway, and then to my surprise a neighbor used his snow thrower and cleared about a 50' path from my gate through my back parking area to the trash can out in the alley. Here, the garbage trucks drive down the alley to empty the trash cans, but we need to get the trash out to them. It's nice to have considerate neighbors who do kind things like that.

And today, I took advantage of the cleared path that left exposed road-mix (small-sized rock and dirt mix) to do a little testing. Exposed ground was good, and it got me out of my den and all the computer and other EMI sources in my house. Unfortunately, it put me under or close to the power lines that run down the alley so I still had a little EMI.

In the road mix I could 'plant' a few coin targets for some testing and that let me get a better feel for performance. Just a little EMI out there where it is terrible here in my house. A few detectors here in my den are even more effected by EMI than the Simplex +, but it is bothered quite a bit, too. I worked with the three Disc. modes and thought I'd share this with readers.

The Simplex + has an easily accessed Frequency Shift with F1, F2 and F3 settings and F2 is the default. Sometimes I had only a little EMI that didn't seem to be much of an issue and performance was OK. But when I did have EMI, it was quick to shift to each of the other two Frequency Shift settings and select the one that had the least interference. It definitely cleaned up the unstable behavior and improved, smoothed-out, performance.

I mention this because I also noted one thing, and that is a Frequency Shift in one mode might not be the right choice for a different mode. Over a couple of targets in one position from the EMI I had the best performance and quietest operation using F1 in the Field mode, but a shift to F3 was the better choice at that same spot for Park mode. Just a heads-up suggestion for anyone who encounters EMI in an urban setting were interference is usually more frequent, and that is to check if the unit isn't real stable at the Default setting, to take a moment and find the best Frequency Off-set for the particular mode you are searching in. Change modes to check a target signal and, if required, maybe change the Frequency Shift as well ... IF the unit is unstable.

Just a bit of a tip.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detectors: I rely on an assortment of personal favorites I happen to like that work for me when and where I need them.
Pinpointers: Makro & Pulse-Dive .. Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' ... Detector Pro's Gray Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

I've started my evaluation of the new Simplex +.

Monte 280 November 28, 2019 08:13AM

Snow-thrower and Frequency Shift aided my Simplex + work.

Monte 141 December 03, 2019 09:29PM

Re: I've started my evaluation of the new Simplex +.

GeoW 117 December 01, 2019 07:40PM

I appreiate 'Air Test' aka 'Bench Test' reports.

Monte 123 December 02, 2019 06:07AM

Re: I've started my evaluation of the new Simplex +.

SvenS 123 December 01, 2019 08:44PM

A few initial comments about the Simplex +.

Monte 174 December 01, 2019 08:23AM

Re: A few initial comments about the Simplex +.

Kickindirt 143 December 01, 2019 11:02AM

I feel ther Simplex+ really needs at least two accessory coils.

Monte 106 December 02, 2019 05:26AM

Headed out the door at 7:15 AM to get to a hunt site.

Monte 226 November 29, 2019 07:29AM

Re: Headed out the door at 7:15 AM to get to a hunt site.

Kickindirt 172 November 29, 2019 12:11PM

Joel, overall, the Simplex+ has a lot to offer. Correct.

Monte 192 November 30, 2019 12:19AM

Re: Joel, overall, the Simplex+ has a lot to offer. Correct.

SvenS 143 November 30, 2019 05:27PM

Bit of an update

SvenS 184 December 01, 2019 03:42PM

Re: Joel, overall, the Simplex+ has a lot to offer. Correct.

Kickindirt 184 November 30, 2019 09:53PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 24
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018