Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Took the Simplex + out hunting Saturday.

December 15, 2019 03:06AM avatar
I posted over on Findmall yesterday before I headed out, and here's an edited version of what I posted:.

Might be my last opportunity for the year as colder weather arrives tonight and will likely lead to more colder days and snow as December draws to a close.

Site? Local park because my three other nearby places are too muddy from recent rain (and I don't like mud). The park was heavily cleaned up and pushed around about 40 years ago, leaving coins mixed at different levels. I've found Wheaties and silver within the top 2" or 3", and Zinc cents and clad and modern nickels in the 4" to 8" depth range. I've been concentrating on more of the open area in the middle of the park to maybe find old stuff from the contouring thy did.

Coil? Until next year's accessory offerings, it will be the stock Simplex + 11" DD.

Search Modes Used? Because I need a little better depth and prefer a slower to comfortable sweep speed and not one that is too brisk. I am mainly using the Filed mode (when I want the VCO-enhanced audio) and Beach mode (when I prefer a non-VCO function). I like a 3-Tone, like Park mode, when hunting in a lot of trash or many closely-spaced coins, but mainly with a smaller size coil. Won't have that until next year. Otherwise, in low to modest trash I prefer to use a 2-Tone audio mode because I like to hear the Low-Tone from ferrous debris to alert me it's there and I can then slowly work around to try and find any partially masked keepers.

Preferred Settings? Sensitivity = Max. ... Volume = Max ... Ground Balance = Mainly the Automated setting ... Iron Volume = 1-Bar, or 2-Bars near traffic noise, or just using the built-in speaker, in Field mode, but non-adjustable so all 3-Bars in Beach mode ... Discrimination = None ... Frequency Shift = F2 (I never change it unless it is an absolute must) ... Backlight = 'A' to light up upon target detection.

It's 4:42 AM right now and the Simplex + is finishing its battery charge. Today I'll start logging the 'Run Time' from a fully charged battery as I am curious what to expect from the Simplex + in the future.

This will be another one of my 'Evaluation Days' when I am not taking any other detector along that might tempt me to make a switch. Just working with the Simplex + only since I've been doing a lot of side-by-side comparisons to this point just to get a better 'feel' for what this so-called "Entry Level" device has to offer.

Monte

PS: I am also going to use my new Pulse-Dive Pinpointer today and let my trusty Makro Pointer get some rest.

NOTE: If you have a Simplex + and read my comments above, I would expect a couple of questions from readers / users. I'm still waiting .....

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detectors: I rely on an assortment of personal favorites I happen to like that work for me when and where I need them.
Pinpointers: Makro & Pulse-Dive .. Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' ... Detector Pro's Gray Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2019 03:52PM by Monte.
Subject Author Views Posted

Took the Simplex + out hunting Saturday.

Monte 201 December 15, 2019 03:06AM

Yesterday's Results with the Simplex +.

Monte 184 December 15, 2019 06:25AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 29
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018