Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

FORS CoRe and FORS Relic ... true proven in-the-field performers.thumbs up

December 29, 2019 10:06AM avatar
Dan'o:
Having ZERO experience with the Core, I was wondering what the differences are between them.

I'll explain some here, but in a few months we'll have huntable weather and, if we meet up for a day's outing, I'll let you borrow mine a while to see what difference YOU might notice.

Dan'o:
I've often read that the Core is prefered in the really dense iron sites ...

Actually, for the "really dense iron" encounters, the Relic has the edge. Now, that's not to say the CoRe is a slouch because it isn't. Matter-of-fact, I got my CoRe delivered, assembled, and busy putting other detectors I had to shame within 24 hours after I got it on January 8th of 2015. Just ten days from now wraps up five years I have been using and enjoying my Nokta CoRe, and it will continue to do so for years to come.

It is one of two models in my Detector Outfit by which I compare every other make or model I set out to evaluate. No, nothing is perfect and they all have some strengths, but for the hunting I do in very ferrous-contaminated sites, I put every detector up against my Tesoro Bandido II microMAX w/6" Concentric and Nokta CoRe w/'OOR' DD. Why? Because once I first had it assembled, the CoRe had to go up against that Tesoro on my Nail Board Performance Test.

Then, when I saw what it would do, it took on all of the White's, Fishers, Teknetics, and Minelab models I also had at the time on that same 'test.' When only two models stayed in step with the CoRe (the Bandido II µMAX and modified White's IDX Pro w/6½" Concentric), the rest started going up for sale that next day. I do have several challenging 'tests' I put all detectors through and a few the CoRe isn't great at, but it also wouldn't be my pick for those needs, anyway.

It is hunting the terribly iron cluttered ghost towns and similar places where the CoRe can take a bow, and in my one test, the tough little test using 1-Brass Button Front and 1-3½" nail, the ONLY detector I have found so far from any manufacturer that can hang in there with the CoRe and a perfect score is the .... Relic.thumbs up

I've worked hard this year to adjust my Detector Outfit to the models that work well for me and are also lighter weight and well-balanced so I can go on enjoying this great sport. There is another test where the CoRe excelled over any competition using a smaller-size coil and still making use of my Nail Board. That's not replacing an Indian Head of Zinc Cent with a slightly smaller-size Dime, but using a small diameter and very thin silver Half-Dime. Folks would be surprised how much more difficult that test is, and once again, the CoRe set a very impressive mark.

Dan'o:
... and know of the 15 to 19 khz difference but what I don't know, is if there are other reasons why it is prefered.

Yes, the CoRe works at 15 kHz and the Relic at 19 kHz, and that, alone, gives the Relic a bit of an 'edge' in dense iron to try and unmask non-ferrous keepers. It's very close, but in most situations the Relic actually has a little advantage there.

Additionally, the Relic has the Iron Audio Volume control that the CoRe doesn't feature.

The Relic has the 2-Tone and 3-Tone and Beach modes, like the CoRe, but it also has a 'Swift' and 'Deep' mode to choose. Personally, I only make use of the 'Deep' mode on occasion when I happen to be away from the iron polluted old sites.

While the Relic has the 'Deep' mode and the CoRe doesn't, when out hunting a plowed fields or other more open area with minimal trash, the 'Deep' mode is needed to go up against the CoRe. I found that when I compared these models, side-by-side and using the same size and type DD coil (such as the 5X9½ DD open-frame coils), and the same search mode such as 2-Tone or 3-Tone, the advantage, by a sight margin, goes to the CoRe.

CoRe & Relic are the same weight, configuration and balance, and other than the smallest coils, all the rest they offer are the same size and shape. One little difference, that doesn't bother me, is the CoRe shows a numeric Coin Depth read-out in CM where the Relic can be selected to show the 'coin depth' in Inches. I don't use Coin Depth on any detector really, so it doesn't make a difference to me. The CoRe does let the user adjust the audio Tone to one of 5 levels, but in working with the Relic prototype, before it was named 'Relic' before production, both Keith Southern & I agreed that the tone they had chosen, which was level '3', was too low. We both requested a change for production to be at Level '5' and that's the Tone Level I have been using with my CoRe all along.

Also, to allow room for the Relic to have the added Swift and Deep modes in the adjustment features, they had to fix the audio Tone at '5' and remove the Tone adjustment. They also removed the Vibrate function so the CoRe does have a 'Vibrate' feature that is not found on the Relic.

There you have the main differences between the two models. When I plan to head into a lot of dense iron debris, with rusty tin, hunks of old iron stoves or hardware and such, I favor the Relic and make use of the Iron Audio Volume to keep the loudness lower. If I am hunting a place that is more open, with less trash, and if my main iron junk to encounter are nails or comparable cut wire iron, then I prefer the CoRe. What's nice, really, is owning and using both so I can pick-and-choose the best tool for the task at hand.

Dan'o:
I may never have the oporopportunity to own one but am curious because I like to know 'why'.

Maybe that's what got me in trouble way back in '65. I was curious so I built my first Metal / Mineral Locator from a kit in March, and with a summer ahead to go detecting, and then ever since to this very day, ... I like to know 'Why?'

I am always asking 'Why' this frequency, Why a particular coil type preference, Why the Discrimination functions like it does, Why a unit can't be swept fast or Why it can't be used with a slower sweep? Why is it different from other models they make or what is out from the competitors, and more important questions, such as: Why would I want it? What might it do for me? How might it handle this or that particular trash? How well does it handle unmasking? .... and the list goes on.

So think about what you want to ask or know. Look what it's done to me after 55 years.eye popping smiley

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detectors: Vista 'X' / Vanquish 540 / CoRe, Relic & Simplex + / Bandido II µMAX & Silver Sabre µMAX / XLT / ORX
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive .. Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' ... White's 'Pro Star'
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Core vs Relic

Dan'o 211 December 28, 2019 09:19PM

CoRe thumbs up

UtahRich 157 December 31, 2019 12:49PM

Interesting discussion-----------

D&P-OR 140 December 29, 2019 03:31PM

The Nokta Relic, Anfibio 19 and 19 I don't like.

Monte 161 December 30, 2019 10:59AM

Re: The Nokta Relic, Anfibio 19 and 19 I don't like.

D&P-OR 121 December 30, 2019 11:18AM

Kickindirt 126 December 30, 2019 11:26AM

D&P-OR 160 December 30, 2019 01:01PM

Del, you're riht about the used market .... however,

Monte 161 December 30, 2019 06:16PM

Re: Del, you're riht about the used market .... however,

D&P-OR 151 December 30, 2019 07:23PM

Re: Yes absolutely Del a look from most consumers point of view

Kickindirt 150 December 30, 2019 01:43PM

D&P-OR 128 December 30, 2019 02:08PM

Kickindirt 122 December 30, 2019 02:22PM

Re: Interesting discussion-----------

OregonGregg 152 December 30, 2019 08:11AM

Re: Interesting discussion-----------

Kickindirt 175 December 29, 2019 06:19PM

FORS CoRe and FORS Relic ... true proven in-the-field performers.thumbs up

Monte 172 December 29, 2019 10:06AM

Re: FORS CoRe and FORS Relic ... true proven in-the-field performers.thumbs up

Kickindirt 129 December 29, 2019 06:29PM

D&P-OR 113 December 29, 2019 07:19PM

Kickindirt 114 December 29, 2019 08:19PM

Dan'o 112 December 29, 2019 10:40AM

CoRe 1-'15 and Relic 1-'16 .... Welcomed into my working arsenal.smiling smiley

Monte 125 December 29, 2019 02:27PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 11
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018