Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Back to you about the video and Simplex+ test.

January 05, 2020 06:25PM avatar
Kickindirt:
Interesting Monte. The video that I posted looked like the nails were really close to the nickel. Within a 1/4" or so. I never did test this on my simplex that I sold. Seems to be a big difference from one man's machine to the next.

Monte:
Most folks know that I do a lot of testing with Test Scenarios I have encountered afield, such as my Nail Board Performance Test or the 1-Button Front & 1-Nail, and there are others I use. I also come up with some cleaver, but practical, test samples and I use them with all detectors I evaluate. Another thing I do when I hear someone explain a test, or especially when I have watched a video, by a manufacturer before we had 'You Tube', and especially many that we see on You Tube and other sources, is to check them out on my own. This one I noticed when this guy compared the Simplex+ against a Vanquish, and in an earlier video the same fellow did with the Simplex+ and a Garrett AT Pro or MAX.

SOooo, I was eager to get a Simplex+ in-hand and test it myself. I had watched the earlier video and did a quick comparison with the detectors I had on-hand here in my den, and at that time I knew there were a couple that are not good in iron contaminated sites and likely wouldn't do well on that test. I was correct .... they didn't. Those were the Teknetics Omega 8000 and Fisher F44. Very good Coin Hunting units and I like and have used them both, but for dense iron contaminated sit? Nope.

Another that I figured wouldn't do well as the Teknetics T2+. Oh, it did fine in 2+ Tone and 3-Tone hitting it crosswise, even at Iron Nail reject and at the Ferrous / Non-Ferrous break point ... but NOT in 3b that's supposed to help with Bottle Caps, and NOT in the dP or Delta-Pitch
Multi-Tone mode. Nothing even at the default '10' Disc. level that Accepts iron nails. And that, by the way, was using the T2+ w/5" DD coil! It is always fun to learn the can-do and the can't-do of any detector we might grab.

The models I own and use in my current Detector Outfit, however, DO hit it crosswise (except for the F44) and a few can even get a hit on the Nickel when swept lengthwise.

I attached a photo of the two Square Nails and Buffalo Nickel I used, and as you can see, the nails are not far from the Nickel. But, what baffles me after running that test, numerous times with my Simplex +, is why did the fellow doing TWO videos not have the success I had? There can only be a few of reasons, such as:

• He was using a very early version of the Simplex+ that had the original search coil they changed from and it was a coil issue. But I doubt it.

• He was rejecting some 5¢ zone Disc. segments we didn't see.

• He had the Volume 'Off' so we couldn't har it.

• He did a 'teaser' that I have see before where they used a fake (plastic) 5¢ 'coin' duplicate.

• Or, like a Garrett video I once watched, the detector had to be turned 'Off' or an extremely high Disc. setting was used so it wouldn't signal on a Bottle Cap they used.

Now, I have seen some people who were a brand loyalist do things to make a particular brand seem to be inferior to their favorite models, but I'm pretty sure this guy wouldn't be doing that. So, why did he NOT have good performance and I have, several times? Even before when I use round iron nails, and now I did it with square nails from a ghost town visit.

What I DO know is my unit is performing quite well on that test, and I have that set-up ready for anyone with any make or model detector or search coil to give it a try.

There's more to this detector and its features and performance ability than a lot of people might think it's become a fun and favorite detector to grab and get into action. Urban sites or a farm field so far, but when smaller coils are out I'll give it a try in those challenging iron plagued ghost towns as well.

Monte

PS: Joel, I am awake all kinds of times, day and night. Give me a call as I have some XP ORX and 9" X35 questions for you.

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detectors: I rely on an assortment of personal favorites I happen to like that work for me when and where I need them.
Pinpointers: Makro & Pulse-Dive .. Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' ... Detector Pro's Gray Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Attachments:
open | download - Simplex+ 5¢ between 2 Iron Square Nails.jpg (1.02 MB)
Subject Author Views Posted

Loss of Nickels---Simplex

SvenS 272 January 03, 2020 03:38AM

Here are photos I made of the test I did to get the results I posted below. Attachments

Monte 232 January 04, 2020 02:41AM

Re: Loss of Nickels---Simplex

Kickindirt 196 January 03, 2020 11:06AM

Joel, check the post I just made above w/photos. N/T

Monte 124 January 04, 2020 02:42AM

Re: Joel, check the post I just made above w/photos.

Kickindirt 135 January 04, 2020 08:20AM

Yes, from my post below ----

Monte 144 January 05, 2020 11:09AM

Re: Yes, from my post below ----

Kickindirt 109 January 05, 2020 12:40PM

Back to you about the video and Simplex+ test. Attachments

Monte 136 January 05, 2020 06:25PM

Re: Back to you about the video and Simplex+ test.

Kickindirt 147 January 05, 2020 10:38PM

What should be changed / improved with Simplex from my poit of view

WM6 96 January 28, 2020 12:54PM

I hear what you're saying, but ....

Monte 73 January 28, 2020 09:52PM

A response and a PM reply, too. (It hits the 5¢ coin just fine!) Attachments

Monte 190 January 03, 2020 09:59AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 20
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018