Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Search coil types, sizes, and detector abilities.

June 29, 2020 06:02AM avatar
Druid
I most certainly will Gregg, I think the results folks have with these machines speak for themselves.
I sure wish they had a mid size round concentric coil for Coinshooting though..
Cheers,
Drew.
Very true, Drew, the Nokta CoRe and Relic proved their abilities to me because I listed to them speak the right language in some really tough, yackity environments. So much chit-chatting from all the annoying ferrous debris, yet these two models spoke right up and interrupted those conversations. Caught my attention and alerted me to there being a possible humble character among all those ferrous sinners that needed saving ... so I did my part to help them out.

As I do with any make or model, I worked with them to determine what coil worked best and how they worked best with regard to settings based on how they were designed.. With over five decades of very avid detecting I learned, or keep trying to learn, how not to be biased and let my personal feelings get in the way. And that holds true for figuring out search coils sizes and types. I use various types of coils, including Co-planer that morphed to the Concentrics, as well as Double-D or Wide-Scan coils since 1971. For long time through the late '70 to about the mid-'90s, I generally preferred a Concentric coil because they generally worked better when it came to Discrimination performance, especially when dealing with ferrous-based trash. Pinpointing was easier, detection depth slightly improved, and I liked the nice, consistent behavior with the uniform EMF all around the coil.

Then things started to change. We have been going more to digitally-designed circuitry, and we've also seen the popular trend to market detectors with Double-D type coils. Bigger coils, too, Some brands, as a whole, or certain models within a brand, were designed to work with a Double-D coil, not a Concentric, and if they tried to make a Concentric for those of us who like that design, their performance afield was not very good. So they either produced bad-working coils, or just didn't continue to make a Concentric coil. On the consumer end, some folks have a bias one way or the other and might want a Concentric wound coil or they will pass on the model and shop for what they want.

Long ago I decided to evaluate different detector models and both type of coil designs in different coil sizes, but not for what I wanted. Instead, I shopped for the end-performance afield to get what I needed. That's worked for me, and even though I do enjoy a good Concentric coil attached to a good-working detector, I won't do it if the end-performance favors a different-type coil. For a long time, almost every detector in my personal Outfit had a Concentric coil mounted and perhaps only one or two detectors out of ± a dozen used a Double-D coil. Today, things have changed, and it is all determined on the particular site conditions and challenges, and how a specific make or model detector performs.
By mid-July my Detector Outfit will be comprised of 11 total units, if I include duplicates. Alphabetically by brand, those include a DeepTech Vista X w/small DD coil; Minelab Vanquish 540 w/mid-size DD coil; two Nokta / Makro FORS CoRe's with small and mid-size DD coils, FORS Relic w/small DD coil, and two Simplex + w/standard 11" DD and soon a mid-size DD that are in production; Tesoro Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX, each w/small Concentric coil; White's XLT w/small Concentric coil; XP ORX w/mid-size DD coil.

Why so many with a Double-D coil? Because either the manufacturer doesn't offer a DD coil for them, or the simple fact that, by design, those detectors work exceptionally well with the assigned DD coil in a variety of site challenges. Those three models with a Concentric coil are because even though DD's were made for them, they did not work all that well with that type coil because they were designed with Concentric coils and work best with that type.

Some Nokta / Makro devices do have a 7" round-shaped Concentric coil offered for them, such as the Racer 2, Impact, Multi-Kruzer or Anfibio Multi and, for me, that is an ideal 'general-purpose' coil, especially for a lot of urban Coin Hunting tasks. But while they can also handle some rusty tin or bottle caps okay, they fall short of the performance those models provide with a slightly smaller-size 5" DD coil in very dense debris. Also, that brand's 5X9½ elliptical DD coil is what I consider to be a mid-size coil, just as I do the round 7" Concentric coil, and either one of these can provide closely-comparable performance in different applications. On a Racer 2 or Impact, I favor the round 7" Concentric to keep mounted for hunting 'fringe areas' or 'scouting' purposes, or just everyday searches in low-to-modestly littered sites.

But with my CoRe or Relic or Simplex +, I have no options and those models work quite handily in the same sites with a 5X9½ DD size coil. So, while I do enjoy some detectors with some Concentric coils, I can easily live without a Concentric on these models simply because they work quite well with the Double-D options that are provided. I am pleased to see Nokta / Makro introduce a 5X9½ DD for the Simplex + and one will stay mounted full-time on one of my Simplex's. The other will keep the standard 11" DD attached until we get a good smaller-size coil offered, and I am really hoping enough consumers will join me to encourage Nokta / Makro to make us a 5" DD for the trashier environments that are out there.

Just my views on the coil type topic. And when it comes to overall in-the-field performance, I doubt that anything they make in the future will out-perform the very proven performance of a FORS CoRe w/'OOR' DD or FORS Relic w/5" DD in the most challenging, ferrous debris littered sites.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detectors: Fisher F5; Garrett Apex; Minelab Vanquish 540; Nokta / Makro FORS CoRe, FORS Relic & Simplex +;
Teknetics T2+; Tesoro Bandido II µMAX & Silver Sabre µMAX; White's XLT
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive -- ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' -- MS-3 Z-Lynk -- ML-80 -- N/M Green Edition
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Canadian Distributor for Nokta Makro is sending me a replacement Impact control boxsmiling smiley

Druid 156 June 26, 2020 03:43PM

Have you received the Impact replacement yet?

Monte 96 July 08, 2020 02:13AM

Re: Have you received the Impact replacement yet?

Druid 98 July 08, 2020 08:15AM

SvenS 94 July 08, 2020 03:41PM

Sven, that's about the only time I opted for 5 kHz

Monte 103 July 09, 2020 01:18AM

Druid 86 July 08, 2020 04:13PM

'Thank You' for the replies, Rick.

Monte 93 July 08, 2020 11:35AM

Re: Canadian Distributor for Nokta Makro is sending me a replacement Impact control boxsmiling smiley

OregonGregg 120 June 27, 2020 11:19AM

Drat you beat me to the punch Greggeye popping smiley

Druid 125 June 27, 2020 03:27PM

Re: Drat you beat me to the punch Greggeye popping smiley Attachments

OregonGregg 120 June 27, 2020 08:27PM

Good Heavens !! What have I done...........

OregonGregg 109 June 28, 2020 05:35AM

Re: Drat you beat me to the punch Gregg thinking

Dan'o 108 June 27, 2020 04:55PM

Re: Drat you beat me to the punch Gregg thinking

OregonGregg 110 June 27, 2020 08:44PM

Re: Drat you beat me to the punch Gregg thinking Well, I best beware...tongue sticking out smiley

Druid 105 June 28, 2020 10:21AM

Re: Drat you beat me to the punch Gregg thinking Well, I best beware...tongue sticking out smiley

OregonGregg 106 June 28, 2020 10:56AM

Druid 107 June 28, 2020 03:42PM

Search coil types, sizes, and detector abilities.

Monte 110 June 29, 2020 06:02AM

Re: Canadian Distributor for Nokta Makro is sending me a replacement Impact control boxsmiling smiley

D&P-OR 104 June 26, 2020 07:00PM

Great to hear you have an Impact replacement. You also have the Relic, have you found a CoRe? N/T

Monte 97 June 26, 2020 06:38PM

Re: Great to hear you have an Impact replacement. You also have the Relic, have you found a CoRe?

Druid 105 June 27, 2020 08:40AM

Kickindirt 99 June 26, 2020 04:21PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 37
Record Number of Guests: 356 on August 30, 2020