Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: It was a grand time to be a kid.

August 12, 2020 06:43PM
Rich---You about covered it as when we were kids---except maybe including we built our own boats---dumped over outdoor outhouses (especially if we could catch someone in one of 'em)--great fun!---Sittin out in the middle of the dirt street eating dirt clouds was kinda entertaining to! thumbs upgrinning smiley----"dem were da days"!----
UtahRich
Del,

We're from back in the era of riding bikes with no helmets, riding in a car with no seat belts, having sling shot and bb gun battles, going out to play first in the morning, coming home when it gets dark. We would ride our bicycles everywhere we couldn't walk. We built tree houses and forts with left over construction materials, went swimming in the creek, used a rope swing while we're there, slid down the spill way of the dam at summer camp, built snow forts in the winter and had snowball fights for hours.

We explored every nook and cranny of our general area. We built rockets and launched them into the sky, we bought fireworks and blew things up, we launched rockets and blew them up.

We rode down the steep streets in the summer on those plastic big wheels and slid out into traffic (with a spotter of course) and in the winter it was the same but on a sled. We took our guns out to targets shoot, we safely put them away.Nobody worried about our safety. We rode motorcycles and snowmobiles and tote-goats and homemade go carts and all sorts of contraptions, both pedal and motorized, we could come up with.

We would go fishing at the creek, at the lake, anywhere we thought there might be fish. We read all of the outdoor magazines we get our hands on; Sports Afield, Outdoor Life, Fur-Fish-Game, Field & Stream, Fly Fisherman, American Rifleman, and so forth. We would go camping whenever we could.

I remember getting a metal detector when i was in 8th grade for my birthday, I was 14. We went treasure hunting. That would be like 1976. We dug for Spanish Treasure up in the mountains. Life was full of opportunities to explore and adventure.

It was a grand time to be a kid. We lived adventurous lives; downright dangerous and irresponsible by the standards of today's helicopter hoovering parents.

I can't say that I ever licked the paint on a barn or the paint in the house. It brings a thought to me though, cars ran better back in those leaded gas days. Perhaps we as kids ran better with leaded paint ? winking smiley eye rolling smiley

Leaded paint aside, I will get worried if I see you, Gregg or Monte working on one of the cowlicks we see up at Lonesome Arch. Pretty disgusting after the cows have worked them for a while.

Rich-

I might have licked the side of the barn as a kid--sorta like a cow lick salt block.----Kinda hard to remember for sure though!moody smiley

lol ya might be right :0 I'm old enough to be back in the lead paint era as a kid. Gonna meet up with Monte soon and play with the Simplex with the midsize coil.
Subject Author Views Posted

Monte hows the 9x5 on the simplex.

Kickindirt 100 August 11, 2020 10:28AM

Simplex + and new 5X9½ DD are working out well so far.

Monte 117 August 11, 2020 04:36PM

Re: Simplex + and new 5X91/2 DD are working out well so far.

Kickindirt 93 August 11, 2020 05:00PM

D&P-OR 77 August 11, 2020 06:23PM

Monte 69 August 11, 2020 09:09PM

Kickindirt 78 August 11, 2020 07:36PM

D&P-OR 79 August 11, 2020 11:02PM

OregonGregg 78 August 11, 2020 10:48PM

Kickindirt 77 August 12, 2020 12:34AM

OregonGregg 82 August 12, 2020 03:33AM

D&P-OR 85 August 12, 2020 06:54AM

It was a grand time to be a kid.

UtahRich 73 August 12, 2020 01:51PM

Got home from the store, started to relax, then read you post ....smileys with diet Dr. Pepper float

Monte 70 August 12, 2020 07:00PM

D&P-OR 73 August 12, 2020 06:43PM

SvenS 67 August 12, 2020 02:16PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 13
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 356 on August 30, 2020