Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Got home from the store, started to relax, then read you post ....smileys with diet Dr. Pepper float

August 12, 2020 07:00PM avatar
→ → → It's flash-back memory time again!

All my life I keep recalling things-of-the-past, but it seems to have increased in frequency the last few years of aging and being more immobile. Some is detecting related, too, like finding 'skate keys' quite often in the grassy areas beside the sidewalks where we used to roller skate with those metal-wheeled skates that we fit on the bottoms of those hard-soled shoes we always wore. Where I grew up through my first ten years, in Ogden Utah, we had a few city parks, Monroe, Liberty and Lester that were big, square 10 acre parks with sidewalks all around them and walkways crisscrossing to the center from the corners. Sure wish I had the energy to repeat those long-duration skating sessions we use to enjoy.

Kids could work and kids did work, a talent they learned by example and stories from their parents and grand-parents, which helped us to understand money, values, budgeting, and in the long run being responsible. Along the way we also learned to help others and be respectful of others and responsible for our actions. A small percentage of younger folks like that these days, which is why I really enjoy the three gals I have hired to do my weekly landscaping. They aren't the 'normal' that we see today.

You are so right, Rich, about what we did or could do. Some of those memories have helped me a lot through the years of detecting, especially the earlier years when potentially good places were still around and urban sprawl hadn't engulfed them.. All of the woods-like areas where we built 'forts' in the latter '50s and early '60s, the strawberry fields and fruit orchards that used to pay pickers (with coins) or market their produce at fruit stands.

Kids or young adults of high school age went hunting, could go in and buy .22 LR ammo for rabbits and squirrels, or shotgun and rifle ammo for fowl and bigger critters. Have our firearms and hunting gear in our vehicles and nobody bothered the cars and trucks at high school. People were different back then, too, with farmers and ranchers waving you down on a dirt road to ask how your hunting success was going and point out some good ditch rows or fence lines to hunt and even some out-of-the-way spots where birds would go when the opener started. No posted signs or bad attitudes back then.

Seems like there were a lot more 'casual' camping spots here and there and not so much control or rules, and I liked the older travel routes before so many freeways when we enjoyed a lot of 'pull-outs' to stop and take a break, enjoy the scenery, have a lunch break, etc. I enjoyed hunting a lot of those along our old travel routes on my off-the-grid travels in the latter '70s to early '90s.

Even things not associated with metal detecting were really some of the more enjoyable, more memorable times of life. I feel kind of sad for those who are stuck in the modern age and in congested places.

Okay, I'll shut up and recline back and enjoy the trip I'm taking ....

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detectors: Fisher F5; Garrett Apex; Minelab Vanquish 540; Nokta / Makro FORS CoRe, FORS Relic & Simplex +;
Teknetics T2+; Tesoro Bandido II µMAX & Silver Sabre µMAX; White's XLT
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive -- ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' -- MS-3 Z-Lynk -- ML-80 -- N/M Green Edition
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Monte hows the 9x5 on the simplex.

Kickindirt 100 August 11, 2020 10:28AM

Simplex + and new 5X9½ DD are working out well so far.

Monte 117 August 11, 2020 04:36PM

Re: Simplex + and new 5X91/2 DD are working out well so far.

Kickindirt 93 August 11, 2020 05:00PM

D&P-OR 78 August 11, 2020 06:23PM

Monte 69 August 11, 2020 09:09PM

Kickindirt 78 August 11, 2020 07:36PM

D&P-OR 79 August 11, 2020 11:02PM

OregonGregg 78 August 11, 2020 10:48PM

Kickindirt 77 August 12, 2020 12:34AM

OregonGregg 82 August 12, 2020 03:33AM

D&P-OR 85 August 12, 2020 06:54AM

It was a grand time to be a kid.

UtahRich 73 August 12, 2020 01:51PM

Got home from the store, started to relax, then read you post ....smileys with diet Dr. Pepper float

Monte 70 August 12, 2020 07:00PM

Re: It was a grand time to be a kid.

D&P-OR 74 August 12, 2020 06:43PM

Re: It was a grand time to be a kid.

SvenS 67 August 12, 2020 02:16PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 9
Record Number of Guests: 356 on August 30, 2020