Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A Maverick trade token is one that does not designate the location.

February 18, 2018 04:00PM avatar
Some trade tokens are almost blank except they might say 5¢. Sometimes it will indicate a product rather than a dollar amount such as 1 Cake, meaning a cake of soap, 1 Pint, meaning a pint of milk, or it might say something like good for One Drink or Cigar.

In addition, some tokens might also indicate a proprietor or business owner, or it may indicate just the business name such as Bill's Billiards or The Elephant Saloon or Jake's Place. So you could get a token and it just tells you a business name and that's all, or a business name and proprietor or a business name and a value. Sometimes it may just have a value and at times it may indicate only a proprietor or only a business with that value.

So you could find a token that has a name of the proprietor, a name of the business, a description of the value of the token, or a mixture of all three. And if you do, you have a neat token however, it doesn't tell you where it's from.

So if you don't know where it is from, then it's just out wandering around like stray cattle that hasn't been branded, like a Maverick perhaps. Thus, a token that has not been branded with the identity of where it is from then it's just a Maverick.

Sometimes you can look and look and look and not find the source of where the token is from. For example from my favorite ghost town of all time, Twin Flats Utah, I found a token that was only the second one known and since then I found three or four complete or nearly complete duplicates of that token. All it says on that scalloped aluminum token is Campbell and Gabbitas, Good for One Drink or Cigar.

There is no identity of where it is from, not a town or a state, and the only thing we do know is that all of those tokens that have been found that we know about came from that one town.

The Orchard Saloon token I found is a Maverick in that it does not state where it is from. However, if you look at the Oregon Trade Token book by Hemphill, it shows there were two tokens by that proprietor for the Orchard Saloon in Brogan Oregon which is about 25 miles north of Vale where I live.

He had the one bit token that I found, good for 12½¢, and he also had a round brass type token that was a half bit, good for 6¼¢ in trade.

So officially my token is a Maverick because it is unstamped, and undocumented where it's from. However it does have an associated reference to where it's from because it has been documented in other manner and is in the Oregon Token Book as being from Brogan.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

'Regular-Use Detector Team' are models from: Fisher, Nokta / Makro, Teknetics, Tesoro and White's
'Specialty-Use Detectors' are models from: Compass, Garrett and Teknetics
Pinpointers: Using Nokta / Makro and Uniprobe Pointers.
Headphones: Using Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star and Detector Pro's Uniprobe ... All w/'tank style' ear cups.
Recovery Gear: Using White's DigMaster digging tool and Signature Series pouch.
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen as desired based on search site conditions.
Some models are assigned for 'Regular-Use' and others are on-hand for 'Specialty Use.'
Additional search coils, mounted on spare lower-rods, are on-hand in my Accessory Coil Tote.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2018 10:19PM by Monte.
Subject Author Views Posted

Finally! Found my first 2018 Trade Token. Attachments

Monte 242 February 18, 2018 01:53AM

Trade Token.

Remfire 160 February 18, 2018 12:46PM

A Maverick trade token is one that does not designate the location.

Monte 202 February 18, 2018 04:00PM

Nice

OregonGregg 143 February 18, 2018 09:42AM

Re: Finally! Found my first 2018 Trade Token.

DW-OR 141 February 18, 2018 09:12AM

Re: Finally! Found my first 2018 Trade Token.

Rich (Utah) 162 February 18, 2018 02:02AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 28
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018