Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Replies to you, Eric.

March 11, 2018 10:43PM avatar
Utah1971
1. Yes I bought a Multi Kruzer, it just arrived yesterday.
You are familiar with the 'basics' of the Makro Racer series detector design, so learning the Multi-Kruzer ought to come easy for you. Having very successfully learning the original Racer, there are a few 'adjustments' you will need to make taking on the new Kruzer. The first will be adapting to the different Ferrous/Non-Ferrous break which now produces a more spread-out numeric VDI scale. The Racer, like the Nokta CoRe, had a Ferrous break at '40' with all targets of lesser value falling in the 'Iron' range, then producing a non-VCO enhanced Low Tone.

As we look at changes made in the Nokta/Makro progress in this numeric range assignment, we started 2016 with the introduction of the Makro Racer 2 and Nokta FORS Relic. Both these models offered a different adjustment of Tone Break and they also provided the Iron Audio Volume control. Additionally, there was a change in the Ferrous/Non-Ferrous break point assignment. Where they had used '40' as the numeric break with the CoRe and Racer, the Racer 2 has a very low 'break point' at '10' whereas the Relic used a break point at '20.'

Both of these models therefore produced a greater conductivity spread for non-ferrous targets than former models, but, at least for me, it also meant learning the different VDI numeric read-outs for common coins. The CoRe and Racer are about the same, but the Racer 2 and Relic are different from the CoRe and Racer, and even a little different from each other.

To start off 2017, Nokta introduced the impact and it used an Iron/Non-Iron break point of '15' for the typical Coin Hunting modes (2-Tone, 3-Tone, 4-Tone, Deep and Beach. The other 7 modes have a ferrous break at '40'). To me, that was a very good move and kind of split the difference between what the Racer 2 and Relic use. The new Kruzer and Multi-Kruzer share that '15' ferrous break for all of the search modes, and I think it make a great happy medium for most active detectorists.

Utah1971
2. I'm still using the original Racer, it has worked very good for me so I never got around to trying a Racer
If you're hanging onto the Racer, that's good because you learned it, you know it, and it is still a very capable detector, to be sure. Really much like the CoRe, which is now back in my possession (my stolen FORS CoRe) and still sports the small white 'OOR' DD coil. My 2nd CoRe has the new 5X9½ DD open-frame coil mounted, and these two detectors might not have the newer Ferrous Volume or Tone Break features, nor the lower ferrous break-point, but they are solid, reliable, and would be the last of any Nokta or Makro product I would ever part with. they are that good.

Anyway, you already had a proven performer in your arsenal and I hope it stays. Now you have a new and somewhat different waterproof device to learn and I know for a fact it will produce for you as well.

Utah1971
3. I have the 5" DD and the 7" concentric on order, I hope they are here by the end of April for the WTHO.
The 5" DD for really dense iron debris, and the 7" Concentric for all-around general hunting are the two search coils I also feel are top picks for the Multi-Kruzer.thumbs up I also hope you have them by the WTHO, and that first one for 2018 starts on April 26th. Let's hope for an early arrival of accessory coils!

Utah1971
I won't lie things like tone break, audio tone, ect. are newfangled words to me.
The are all well explained in the User Manual. A brief description is that Tone Break lets you adjust the Conductivity Range Break Point as you desire. Personally, I keep my lowest Tone Break at '15' in all the modes on the Multi-Kruzer. That way all of the Low Iron Tone will be for targets that produce a numeric read-out in the Iron Range of 1 to 15. In 3-Tone and 4-Tone modes you can set other Tone Breaks to audibly classify targets in the US Nickel range or mid-tone range or High-Tone as you desire. I have my Tone breaks set in 3-Tone so the lower reading pennies, such as Indian Heads and Zinc Cents that share a similar numeric read-out, will be just above the Tone Break and respond with a High-Tone audio.

Audio Tone is a function that lets you adjust the Audio Tone Pitch to a level or frequency that you might hear better. You also have Ferrous Volume which lets you hear a full, loud response from Iron ... or any target response below your lowest Tone Break setting ... or you can reduce the Volume/Loudness of Iron Range targets to a lower-level or softer, quieter sound. If desired, you can also adjust it to '0' and turn the Iron Audio 'Off' and not hear those low-tone readings.

Utah1971
Thank you very much for your help, I almost forgot to ask what frequency do you prefer for iron infested sites?
Almost always I use the start-up 14 kHz, but on a few outings I might select 19 kHz and use it only. However, I generally hunt in 14 kHz, but I also hunt slowly and methodically, visually gridding of an area at a time when I search. If a selected area produces a target or two, or I feel there might be a greater likelihood of partial-target masking in a very dense iron contaminated space, I work the area in 14 kHz, then shift to 19 kHz and re-work the same selected area.

This is a technique I started using a couple of years ago, at the start of 2016, when I was evaluating the prototype that became the FORS Relic. In order to better perceive the potential benefits of the 19 kHz Relic, I would visually or physically grid off and area, hunt it with my 15 kHz CoRe, then re-hunt the same gridded area with the 19 kHz Relic.

I don't tinker a lot with settings. I keep it pretty much straight forward to how I have preferred to hunt for decades, and that is to usually have a high Gain setting at start-up, then reduce it if necessary. I have my Discrimination set at only one of two settings:

• Just low enough to accept common iron nails, especially when using a 2-Tone or more multi-tone detector.

• Just barely high enough to reject common iron nails.

There are times I search with zero Disc. for all-metal acceptance, but the above are my two main Disc. settings. No higher.

I seldom work my Nokta and Makro units at '0' Disc. just usually low enough to accept Iron Nails and take advantage of the Low-Tone Iron Audio function for nails and other accepted ferrous debris.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

'Regular-Use Detector Team' are models from: Fisher, Nokta / Makro, Teknetics, Tesoro and White's
'Specialty-Use Detectors' are models from: Compass, Garrett and Teknetics
Pinpointers: Using Nokta / Makro and Uniprobe Pointers.
Headphones: Using Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star and Detector Pro's Uniprobe ... All w/'tank style' ear cups.
Recovery Gear: Using White's DigMaster digging tool and Signature Series pouch.
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen as desired based on search site conditions.
Some models are assigned for 'Regular-Use' and others are on-hand for 'Specialty Use.'
Additional search coils, mounted on spare lower-rods, are on-hand in my Accessory Coil Tote.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2018 09:19PM by Monte.
Subject Author Views Posted

Kruzer Newby

Utah1971 267 March 09, 2018 10:40PM

Eric, a few questions for you, if you don't mind.

Monte 249 March 10, 2018 12:01AM

Re: Eric, a few questions for you, if you don't mind.

Utah1971 256 March 10, 2018 12:38AM

Replies to you, Eric.

Monte 270 March 11, 2018 10:43PM

Nokta / Makro

Rich (Utah) 281 March 15, 2018 07:49PM

Re: Eric, a few questions for you, if you don't mind.

Utah1971 202 March 12, 2018 07:53PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 25
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018