Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Yesterday I was asked to narrow down my Top Five favorites in my Detector Team.

June 12, 2018 02:49AM avatar
We were discussing different makes and models we've enjoyed using during the past year, and when I explained why I prefer my top picks in my Regular-Use Detector Team I was asked if I could narrow it down to my Top Five favorites. That is not an easy task, but I explained that when I set out on a detecting jaunt, unless I make extra room, my vehicle only accommodates up-to five detectors, so that's a decision I have to make per adventure.

I do have some models that I prefer for special applications, but I considered my primary-use units. It would be easier if I could narrow my picks to the Top Six or Top Ten detector models, but the request was for the Top Five, so I started out with my for-sure top two favorites. Those are my Nokta FORS CoRe and FORS Relic devices.

The CoRe has proven itself to me for 3½ years and continues to be a 'must-have' companion for most hunting applications. The Relic now has 2½ years under its belt and is a favorite complement to the CoRe as they have similar designs, weight, balance and 'feel,' and the latter is very comfortable for hunting flat-land or hilly or irregular contour sites. Additionally, the Relic provides me the Iron Audio Volume feature and Tone Break, plus it operates at 19 kHz to give me a different 'edge' to complement the 15 kHz CoRe.

The final three out-of-the five would be picked from a White's MX-7, modified Classic ID, XLT, Tesoro Bandido II µMAX or Makro Racer 2. So I have to consider where I am hunting, if it is a Coin Hunting or Relic Hunting application, and what might be different enough to add any benefits to my CoRe and Relic models. I am killing some time at 2:15 AM doing some laundry and shuffling detectors in my vehicle for a drive to try and find an urban site or two to hunt when I head out after daylight.

So today's Top Five are my CoRe, Relic, MX-7, XLT and Bandido II µMAX. I have already planned my detector outfit for a rural hunt later this week, and that will include the CoRe, Relic, Racer 2, MX-7 and modified Classic ID. I might have models with more search modes or operating frequencies, and I have models that are simpler with a factory preset Ground Balance, but for simplicity yet very dependable performance, the CoRe and Relic are 'must-haves' that will always be in my Detector Team even after the time comes that they are discontinued. The same goes for my Racer 2.

There's no such thing as a 'perfect' metal detector so I enjoy owning and using an outfit of several models from three manufacturers that can all complement each other based upon the challenges I encounter at a site. Today, the Racer 2, CoRe and Relic are still in production, but some day they will be replaced in the line-up and become discontinued, just like my Bandido II µMAX, Classic ID or XLT ... but that won't mean they will stop working or no longer perform afield.

Every model I have and use today is going to stay with me as long as I can continue to enjoy this great outdoor sport, and the Nokta CoRe and Relic, as well as the Makro Racer 2, are all tough offerings to beat regardless of who brings out whatever they feel is new and exciting. It's a shame we don't have as many local and active detector dealers as we used to have, and really a let-down that the Nokta and Makro 'Distributors' here in the USA don't make an effort to get these excellent products promoted and into the hands of more dealers.

I guess I am just one of the fortunate ones who has them, uses them and enjoys them. Others who also use them know what I mean, and if you're curious about getting a new detector to enhance your outfit, I encourage anyone to check out a CoRe, a Relic or a Racer 2.

Just my ponderings,

Monte

PS: If I was really pressed to narrow down to only ONE out of these three, it might be the Relic but the CoRe is hard for me to overlook.

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

'Regular-Use Detector Team' are models from: Nokta / Makro, Teknetics, Tesoro and White's
'Specialty-Use Detectors' are models from: Compass, Garrett and Teknetics
Pinpointers: Using Nokta / Makro and Uniprobe Pointers.
Headphones: Using Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star and Detector Pro's Uniprobe ... All w/'tank style' ear cups.
Recovery Gear: Using White's DigMaster digging tool and Signature Series pouch.
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen as desired based on search site conditions.
Some models are assigned for 'Regular-Use' and others are on-hand for 'Specialty Use.'
Additional search coils, mounted on spare lower-rods, are on-hand in my Accessory Coil Tote.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2018 07:26AM by Monte.
Subject Author Views Posted

Yesterday I was asked to narrow down my Top Five favorites in my Detector Team.

Monte 180 June 12, 2018 02:49AM

And my answer about search coils for the above post.

Monte 132 June 12, 2018 06:55AM

Re: And my answer about search coils for the above post.

RickUK 133 June 16, 2018 12:01PM

RickUK, nice post, that I trimmed up a little to the key points I agree with.

Monte 97 June 17, 2018 12:07AM

Re: And my answer about search coils for the above post.

D&P-OR 143 June 16, 2018 01:51PM

I couldn't agree more.

Monte 106 June 17, 2018 09:11AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 11
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018