Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

And my answer about search coils for the above post.

June 12, 2018 06:55AM avatar
I'll head out in about ten minutes but thought I'd add my comments on search coils. After thinning down my answer with him about the Top Five detectors I usually use, I was asked about my favorite search coils for them. That was actually an easier one to figure out because, typically, I hunt trashy to very trashy sites, and by very trashy I mean a lot of dense iron debris. Therefore, I tend to favor smaller-than-stock search coils, and actually very seldom make use of a stock coil.

I always keep an 'OOR' DD coil mounted on my Nokta CoRe, and in areas with a low to moderate amount of trash that are more open I switch to the open-frame 5X9½ DD.

The small 5" DD coil is mounted on my Nokta Relic, and in areas with a low to moderate amount of trash that are more open I switch to its open-frame 5X9½ DD.

On my Makro Racer 2, the 7" Concentric coil is mounted and serves me quite well and is the biggest coil I use on the Racer 2. And when there is a need .. and I don't have my CoRe or Relic available with their small coils mounted .. I switch to the 'OOR' DD coil for the Relic series.

The other brand models are outfitted as such: The White's XLT has the 6½" Concentric mounted, and the same size is on my MX-7. My modified Classic ID has a 5½" Ferret Concentric coil attached, and my Tesoro Bandido II µMAX sports the 6" Concentric coil. The only accessory coils I use for the above is the 8" Pro Scan Concentric coil on the Classic ID or XLT, and for some beach hunting the White's labeled 7" DD on the MX-7.

I have preferred to use search coils made by the detector manufacturers more than after-market search coils, very seldom very interested in an after-market search coil, with the exception of the two I mentioned above. The 5½" Ferret was made by the defunct Discovery Electronics, and the 7" DD White's coil is made for them by Detech.

That's not to say I don't think independently made coils aren't any good because I know they can be. I have several friends, frequent posters here, who use the NEL Snake or Sharp small coils and I have tried them out as well. As a matter-of-fact, in a really tough challenge I set up for Oregon Gregg to try, his Racer 2 with the Snake or Sharp DD coils slightly out-performed the Racer 2 with the factory 'OOR' or 5" DD coils. That was kind of a surprise to both of us, and if I only owned one detector and it was the Racer 2, I would likely have added one of those after-market coils to my outfit. But as we saw, there was no need because my CoRe w/'OOR' DD also provide equal performance in that very challenging comparison.

I just thought I'd add my search coil selections to this thread to help describe what I rely on when I set out for a day of fun. And that's just what I am hoping to do right now! I hope everyone has a chance to get out and do some detecting today.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

'Regular-Use Detector Team' are models from: Fisher, Nokta / Makro, Teknetics, Tesoro and White's
'Specialty-Use Detectors' are models from: Compass, Garrett and Teknetics
Pinpointers: Using Nokta / Makro and Uniprobe Pointers.
Headphones: Using Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star and Detector Pro's Uniprobe ... All w/'tank style' ear cups.
Recovery Gear: Using White's DigMaster digging tool and Signature Series pouch.
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen as desired based on search site conditions.
Some models are assigned for 'Regular-Use' and others are on-hand for 'Specialty Use.'
Additional search coils, mounted on spare lower-rods, are on-hand in my Accessory Coil Tote.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2018 07:29AM by Monte.
Subject Author Views Posted

Yesterday I was asked to narrow down my Top Five favorites in my Detector Team.

Monte 233 June 12, 2018 02:49AM

And my answer about search coils for the above post.

Monte 166 June 12, 2018 06:55AM

Re: And my answer about search coils for the above post.

RickUK 166 June 16, 2018 12:01PM

RickUK, nice post, that I trimmed up a little to the key points I agree with.

Monte 132 June 17, 2018 12:07AM

Re: And my answer about search coils for the above post.

D&P-OR 180 June 16, 2018 01:51PM

I couldn't agree more.

Monte 138 June 17, 2018 09:11AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 18
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018