Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: And my answer about search coils for the above post.

June 16, 2018 01:51PM
Good write up Rick.
RickUK
A very interesting thread,and must admit i have adapted my detecting by using smaller coils across the whole range of my detecting arsenal,with the exception of a couple that i use specifically for certain site situations ie deep pasture,artifact/hoard hunting.

Although i do have a substantial amount of detectors that i have collected over the years,like Monte i have narrowed my everyday use machine to say 6-7 of them and these cover almost all my detecting scenarios.

I think the largest coil that i currently use for everyday detecting is my 9'' Deus coil,cannot change that as its my main detector and they dont have a wide selection of coils,especially smaller ones.But for my Tesoro,T2,DFX,IDX pro and TDI Pro as well as other they range in size from the 4'' Tesoro,5'' T2 and average about 6''.One machine that does seem slightly odd using a small coil,but surprisingly enough is still a power house depth wise and like a laser beam is my Nexis MP with a 8x6 coil on it,what makes this machine different for the most part when using a small coil is that it performs and has similar power voltage increase into the coil the same way as the old Nautilus machine do/have,i will expand on that as most machine only allow 12volts into the coil,but the Nexus MP allows upto 120volts and this is why it is a deep machine,when coupled with the 8x6 coil you can when the situation and site permits you can increase the power/gain/sensitivity call it what you like into the coil and this gives you additional depth but still with a small foot print,so hence my comment of it being like a laser beam.

Have gradually been transferring from stock size coil over too smaller coils i guess in the last 12 months or so,biggest reason for doing so is that my detecting wrist just wont allow heavy coils these days,so i have carefully thought and selected my coil choice and must admit i have never regretted it,coil control has also been addressed and as a result of doing this my find rate which was all ready reasonably very good has increased by doubling and possibly more.

Also my detector selection although i still have many many detectors,have been whittled down as mentioned also to just 6-7 these are all light machines for the most part,so i can swing them for longer time durations,so not only has the enjoyment factor come back again rather than being a chore but also my finds rate has also increased pro rata.

So jst a little bit of thought and adapting ones detecting style/technique can provide dividends.
Subject Author Views Posted

Yesterday I was asked to narrow down my Top Five favorites in my Detector Team.

Monte 233 June 12, 2018 02:49AM

And my answer about search coils for the above post.

Monte 167 June 12, 2018 06:55AM

RickUK 166 June 16, 2018 12:01PM

RickUK, nice post, that I trimmed up a little to the key points I agree with.

Monte 132 June 17, 2018 12:07AM

D&P-OR 180 June 16, 2018 01:51PM

I couldn't agree more.

Monte 138 June 17, 2018 09:11AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 25
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018