Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RickUK, nice post, that I trimmed up a little to the key points I agree with.

June 17, 2018 12:07AM avatar
RickUK
... and must admit i have adapted my detecting by using smaller coils across the whole range of my detecting arsenal,with the exception of a couple that i use specifically for certain site situations ie deep pasture,artifact/hoard hunting.

Although i have collected over the years,like Monte i have narrowed my everyday use machine to say 6-7 of them ...

But for my Tesoro,T2,DFX,IDX pro and TDI Pro as well as other they range in size from the 4'' Tesoro,5'' T2 and average about 6''.

... gradually been transferring from stock size coil over too smaller coils i guess in the last 12 months or so,
... biggest reason for doing so is that my detecting wrist just wont allow heavy coils these days,
... so i have carefully thought and selected my coil choice and must admit i have never regretted it,
... coil control has also been addressed and as a result of doing this my find rate which was all ready reasonably very good has increased by doubling and possibly more.

Also ... although i still have many many detectors, ... been whittled down as mentioned also to just 6-7 these are all light machines
... so i can swing them for longer time durations,so not only has the enjoyment factor come back again rather than being a chore
... also my finds rate has also increased pro rata.

So jst a little bit of thought and adapting ones detecting style/technique can provide dividends.
Adopting to smaller-than-stock search coils.

Being selective of the detector models used, to have a functional selection of makes and models that can complement each other ... and be comfortable to use.

Mastering the use of the units and coil-control/search technique that resulted in increased finds/success and therefore the 'fun' or pleasure of enjoying this great sport.

Fortunately for me, I learned early on in my life-span of metal detecting the benefits, and enjoyment, of using smaller-size search coils. Other than the 7" Concentric on my Tesoro Mojave, ALL standard-size and larger search coils are stored in my Accessory Coil Tote. Every detector I carry and use on a day-to-day basis keeps a smaller-than-stock coil mounted. If weather cooperates, I think I'll take a few of them out tomorrow and have some fun hunting up whatever I might find at a couple of small, but potentially good, sites I found.

Small coils rule!

Thanks for your post, Rick.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

'Regular-Use Detector Team' are models from: Fisher, Nokta / Makro, Teknetics, Tesoro and White's
'Specialty-Use Detectors' are models from: Compass, Garrett and Teknetics
Pinpointers: Using Nokta / Makro and Uniprobe Pointers.
Headphones: Using Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star and Detector Pro's Uniprobe ... All w/'tank style' ear cups.
Recovery Gear: Using White's DigMaster digging tool and Signature Series pouch.
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen as desired based on search site conditions.
Some models are assigned for 'Regular-Use' and others are on-hand for 'Specialty Use.'
Additional search coils, mounted on spare lower-rods, are on-hand in my Accessory Coil Tote.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147
Subject Author Views Posted

Yesterday I was asked to narrow down my Top Five favorites in my Detector Team.

Monte 232 June 12, 2018 02:49AM

And my answer about search coils for the above post.

Monte 166 June 12, 2018 06:55AM

Re: And my answer about search coils for the above post.

RickUK 166 June 16, 2018 12:01PM

RickUK, nice post, that I trimmed up a little to the key points I agree with.

Monte 131 June 17, 2018 12:07AM

Re: And my answer about search coils for the above post.

D&P-OR 180 June 16, 2018 01:51PM

I couldn't agree more.

Monte 138 June 17, 2018 09:11AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 22
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018