Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Search coils -- Target ID & Tone ID -- Ground Balance -- Detection Depth ... Interesting things to consider.thinking

October 26, 2018 10:15AM avatar
desertsmith
I got a new six shooter coil for my MX7 a few days ago and so far I really like it.
The 'Six Shooter' coil, using the same 6½" diameter upper-half and the very proven Concentric configuration, has been and is my favorite factory-produced coil for decades. I have relied on that size (with the 5900 Di Pro, XLT, Classic series, 6000 Pro XL/XL Pro, MXT 'series' (to include the original MXT, M6 and MXT Pro/All-Pro) and now the MX-7) for urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting, more remote Relic Hunting, as well as for Electronic Prospecting in gold nugget producing areas. It provides excellent in-the-field performance for unmasking good targets in a trashy environment and ample depth of detection, all while being light-weight and maneuverable without causing fatigue.

desertsmith
It handles great and is very deep for its size.
While detection depth is especially attributed to a metal detector's circuitry design, we can see some coils that tend to do better-than-average, and in this case the MX-7 and 6½" Concentric make a winning team. thumbs up

desertsmith
The Target ID is off some on the higher tones. Quarters are in the high dime range, dimes in the middle dime range. Every thing else down a number or 2.
I experienced this with the older-style prototype 6½" I got with my MX-7 almost a year ago, but it's only off slightly and, for me, it isn't really all that much of an issue. Right after the first 'flat-bottom' Six Shooter coil was released there were several people who posted on different forums that very issue. That some targets would read just a number or two lower and into the lower-target category.

White's representative posted that they were aware of it and it was supposed to be related to "coil tuning" and they were taking care of that. I personally disagree and fell it is also associated with the digital circuitry design of the detector and the fact that the numeric VDI range for individual targets is so narrow that it is difficult to try and make them all read consistently because variables and conductivities make things just a little difficult. I still use my prototype 6½" and have tried several newer Six Shooters and only found one of them to keep most clad quarter responses in the Quarter range.

Quarters were the main coin I read about where they registered just a number or two below the minimum Quarter TID 'window' and numeric VDI which put them at the top of the Dime category, and that is what I noticed as well. But a silver Quarter, being higher-conductive. gave a proper Quarter category read-out and numeric VDI response.

Keep in mind that the number of Tones used in Tone ID can also produce an 'incorrect' audio tone for some target's if the reading is a little 'off' from a proper, out of the ground response.

From the time I started enjoying this wonderful outdoor adventure I have enjoyed finding coins, and in the earlier days I found a lot of coins. Why? Four reasons:

There were a lot of long-lost coins out there waiting to be found.

I got out detecting much more often.

I would recover all dig-worthy 'beeps.'

Most of the time I *did not have*, *was not relying on* or simply *was not/am not using* visual (target labeled) Target ID.

I was detecting for 18 years before TID was introduced in '83, and from July of '83 really until '94 I was primarily using non-display Tesoro detectors. When I did use visual TID detectors I noticed the early designs with the free-floating needle meter, such as the White's 6000 Di Series 3 and 5900 Di Pro and 6000 Di Pro XL/XL Pro gave reasonably accurate coin target read-outs, but wasn't always spot-on due to variables such as target depth, target orientation, nearby offending metal or ground mineral irregularity, but it was 'close.' The main thing I wanted to see was a tighter visual response rather than a radical and jumpy display read-out.

Still, I was primarily hunting as if I had an old BFO or an old TR or TR-Disc. model or a more modern non-display Tesoro and simply listening for the audio response and recovered a good-sounding 'Beep!' Then we transitioned to models that had an LCD type display and some simply responded with a TID in a dedicated 'segment' to suggest the possible target. Some models had a name associated with a certain segment or range of accepted smaller segments that indicated a potential US coin. And then we progressed to models that displayed a numeric VDI read-out, and some detectors even combine both the VDI numeric respond as well as a probably US coin denomination.

The latter is how the White's MX-7 conveys possible or probable target identity to use. Hunting with the MX-7 afield for 11 months now, and the bulk of that time using the 6½" Concentric coil, I use it just the same as I use my White's XLT or Nokta CoRe or Relic or Anfibio, or my Teknetics Omega 8K, and that is I simply rely on the numeric VDI response and simply note how tight or consistent the read-out is. When out enjoying the hunt, I think I have only referred to the labeled coin or target information perhaps 10 to 12 times.

In short, I don't pay attention to named target display info.

Yesterday I hunted a lot where they torn down a house this past year and using my XLT w/6½" Concentric coil, I got a silver Mercury Dime that I simply toe-scuffed out of the looser soil about 1½"-2" deep. It read-out as if it were a copper Cent. Hunting the lot the past several days off-and-on I have also used my Omega w/7" Concentric, CoRe w'OOR' DD coil, Relic w/5" DD and MX-7 w/6½" Concentric. I have recovered one Nickel, six clad Dimes, one two clad Quarters, twelve modern Cents, both Zinc and Copper, nine Wheat-back Cents and three silver Mercury Dimes. I found one thing that was consistent.

That was that not one of those detector/coil combinations were 100% accurate at identifying all the coins they found. In other words, the one consistent result was that each of them was inconsistent when it came to giving a 'proper' coin ID. They were all very close for each denomination with some coins reading spot-on and other coins close. Maybe reading kind of tight on the ID but slightly higher than anticipated or slightly lower.

In ALL cases, regardless of the visual labeled TID or numeric VDI response, and I mean in each and every case, the real consistent behavior was that they gave me a decent 'Beep!' so I recovered the coins. Just like the good old days and how I have hunted for over half-a-century. Listen for a digable 'Beep!'

desertsmith
It seems to ground balance great but does register high on the screen compared to the 950 coil when ground balancing. Will this be a problem in extreme harsh ground in ground balancing?
A Ground Balance read-out can show a slightly different ground phase when comparing different search coil sizes or types (Concentric Vs Double-D), but the response should be reasonably close. Make sure the comparisons are done not just in the same general locations but at the very same spot-of-ground when comparing a GB reading between different coils.

By the way, Ground Balance, or lack of a functional Ground Balance can be more important for detector performance than many people think. I am referring not only to beginners who have no clue what Ground Balance nearly is, to many very Avid Detectorists who don't have a full understanding about the strengths or shortcomings of different models they own and use, simply because they haven't learned or understood a models GB potential in both an All Metal mode as well as a motion-based Discriminate mode.

For example, I have two test samples I use when evaluating any detector and many, or let me say most, of today's modern detectors or those designed in the past dozen years, fail to perform well on. That includes half of my own detector battery, too. But my Tesoro's and White's models, all of them to include the MX-7, perform beautifully on these tests and I am referring to both producing a functional audio response as well as a visual TID response. And one key ingredient to these models working so great is directly associated with their ability to have a 'functional' Ground Balance. thumbs up Most of the time I am hunting in "extreme, harsh ground" and the MX-7 handles it very well.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

'Regular-Use Detector Team' are models from: Fisher, Nokta / Makro, Teknetics, Tesoro and White's
'Specialty-Use Detectors' are models from: Compass, Garrett and Teknetics
Pinpointers: Using Nokta / Makro and Uniprobe Pointers.
Headphones: Using Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star and Detector Pro's Uniprobe ... All w/'tank style' ear cups.
Recovery Gear: Using White's DigMaster digging tool and Signature Series pouch.
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen as desired based on search site conditions.
Some models are assigned for 'Regular-Use' and others are on-hand for 'Specialty Use.'
Additional search coils, mounted on spare lower-rods, are on-hand in my Accessory Coil Tote.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2018 06:09PM by Monte.
Subject Author Views Posted

New six shooter coil

desertsmith 82 October 25, 2018 09:03PM

Search coils -- Target ID & Tone ID -- Ground Balance -- Detection Depth ... Interesting things to consider.thinking

Monte 68 October 26, 2018 10:15AM

Re: Search coils -- Target ID & Tone ID -- Ground Balance -- Detection Depth ... Interesting things to consider.thinking

desertsmith 56 October 26, 2018 03:52PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 33
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018