Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A day in a life of enjoying some of my White's favorites.

October 31, 2018 10:50AM avatar
The more I read on perhaps eight or ten different Forums I have been visiting, I keep noticing the number of newer members to this great sport who are intrigued by newer model offerings, or have taken the plunge only to now have a bunch of questions on how to get them to work like the marketing and some individuals promote.

And when I say "newer members" to this hobby let me clarify that I am not just referring to those who have purchased their first detector recently or even in the past half-dozen years, but I am including all of those who are beginners as well as those who lack ample field-time experience to really learn the ins-and-outs, goods-and-bads, of the detecting outfit they already have. Those who do not understand Ground Balance or the effects it can have on performance in the different search modes, or haven't yet learned the strengths and weaknesses of the Discrimination behavior with the model they now own and want to part with for something new.

Just the use of the word 'New' in marketing leads many consumers to think something is totally new to the industry when it might just be something new for that manufacturer. Or it might be a new search coil or something that might be new for that model, even as simple as a grip design. But the word 'new' gets flashed into the marketing as well as in how users talk about a feature or function in a forum post or a video when, really, it isn't anything truly new.

Yes, some of the newer models to be introduced by different manufacturers from five years ago to currently do offer some inviting enhancements in being better configured and balanced, waterproof, have new search coils sand perhaps operate from a selection of search modes, but not all newer circuitry designs and added functions make all older and discontinued detectors obsolete. With many years of avid detecting in my past I am well aware of that.

I have 13 detectors, 9 different models, in my current Detector Outfit, and only 2 of those 9 are currently manufactured detectors. One is the White's MX-7 and the other is the soon-to-be released Nokta-Makro Anfibio. The other 7 are all discontinued devices. Those include 2 Nokta-Makro, 1 Teknetics, 2 Tesoro's and 2 of my all-time favorite White's detectors. With my neck brace removed after cervical surgery's 6 week recovery, I have devoted all of the rest of October to using my more aged and discontinued models. From White's, that has been my XLT and modified Classic ID.

Recoveries have been slim this month because I have concentrated on a vacant lot that hasn't been as rewarding as I had hoped. Still, I've recovered Wheat-back Cents with all my discontinued favorites except one Tesoro I haven't used this month, and I recovered a silver Mercury Dime with a Teknetics Omega 8K and two Mercury Dimes with my outdated (to some people) White's XLT. I have been interested or curious about a few of the newer models introduced this year, but checking out most of them, if even briefly, I haven't found anything that would nudge me enough to bump anything out of my current group of detectors.

So each day I was able to get out hunting this month as often as I could, and using non-current units, has definitely provided me with some relaxation, ample 'fun' as well as just the enjoyment of using very good detectors that work well. Emphasis, mainly, on a favorite top-end model and one of the better low-end units White's has made. Since I got my first XLT in '94 through the many I have owned and let pass through my hands to XLT #30 that I acquired last January, and will keep until I can no longer get out hunting, it remains a solid favorite performer

Since the XLT I have owned several DFX's, a VX3 and a few Vision/V3/V3i models, and none of them provided the reliable and predictable performance I needed to excel over the XLT. Biased opinions? Possibly, but they are also opinions based upon a lot of field time in a wide range of applications in mild, moderate and rather challenging mineralized ground.

The other older White's I use is a modified Classic ID. It is one of two models, the Classic ID and IDX Pro, that I felt White's failed to pay attention to, promote more, and address some in-house upgrading to add an external Threshold and Ground Balance control, which are very popular after-market enhancements. thumbs up With the small 5½" Concentric coil I keep mounted, the Classic ID provides almost Tesoro-like performance in very littered and iron contaminated sites.

I've enjoyed a month of using 'oldies' and especially the XLT and Classic ID which made a terrific 2-detector team for me after the first Classic ID was released, and continue to do so to this very day and on into the future. I hope any reader with either or both of these models gives them some serious thought and takes them out for as much detecting as they can before wintery weather arrives. There is always a lot to learn about them, and in using and learning them it can cast doubts on spending $$$ to get something newer that just might not be as good.

Just some end-of-October rainy-day thoughts.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

'Regular-Use Detector Team' are models from: Fisher, Nokta / Makro, Teknetics, Tesoro and White's
'Specialty-Use Detectors' are models from: Compass, Garrett and Teknetics
Pinpointers: Using Nokta / Makro and Uniprobe Pointers.
Headphones: Using Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star and Detector Pro's Uniprobe ... All w/'tank style' ear cups.
Recovery Gear: Using White's DigMaster digging tool and Signature Series pouch.
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen as desired based on search site conditions.
Some models are assigned for 'Regular-Use' and others are on-hand for 'Specialty Use.'
Additional search coils, mounted on spare lower-rods, are on-hand in my Accessory Coil Tote.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147
Subject Author Views Posted

A day in a life of enjoying some of my White's favorites.

Monte 88 October 31, 2018 10:50AM

I'm with you on enjoying the oldiesthumbs up

Hombre 78 November 02, 2018 06:22AM

Last day of October ... XLT ... a 1948-s silver Roosevelt Dime.

Monte 52 November 01, 2018 11:07PM

angry smileyWhite's Electronics

OregonGregg 78 November 02, 2018 06:33AM

Re: angry smileyWhite's Electronics

jmaryt 73 November 03, 2018 12:13AM

OregonGregg 72 November 03, 2018 06:00AM

jmaryt 72 November 03, 2018 10:35AM

zincoln 61 November 03, 2018 03:45PM

jmaryt 62 November 04, 2018 02:20PM

jmaryt 67 November 04, 2018 02:33PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 20
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018