Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Welcome back Darrenthumbs up

November 12, 2018 04:16AM avatar
Thanks Randy. Good to be here. Like a breath of fresh air after White's getting kicked to the curb over at Findmall. The real shame is the loss of many years of really good posts, including many long posts by Monte. I hope he has them all stored away somewhere to eventually be published in a book series like a set of encyclopedias. smiling smiley

The XLT was revolutionary. I too bought one in 1994 when they first came out and was blown away. I came from a 6000D Series 3 which was a great detector, but nothing like the XLT. It was the control over the inner workings of the detector that were the real leap forward. Recovery speed, tones, and that wonderful spectragraph, plus all kinds of other adjustments like the ones you mentioned, pre-amp etc. The actual performance wasn't a whole lot improved over the already excellent 6000D line, but it brought it all together in a great finished package. After thousands of hours on both the earlier 6000D's and the XLT, the XLT was remarkably similar in performance and handling to the earlier 6000D, so much so, I would say it was a digitized 6000D, which is quite a compliment to the XLT really.

The 6000 XL Pro that came out later was a last polishing of the older 6000D. I had been hunting for about 10 years with the XLT exclusively then picked up an XL Pro when they were on closeout. I did a bunch of side by side comparison testing of the XLT against the XL Pro (my old posts are still up over at the whites forums), and found the XL Pro and the XLT to be almost identical, with the obvious difference, of course, one being digital and one analog, and the plusses and minuses that come from that. The XLT was more adjustable, including having a way to manually ground balance, something the XL Pro did not have. But the XL Pro was easier to operate and gave you most of the controls you really needed as well as that smooth sweet analog goodness that is hard to describe but you know what I'm talking about. Like butter! With no real performance advantage to the XLT, I ended up using the XL Pro more and more to the point where I eventually sold off the XLT ... which I now regret, f only so I could go back and enjoy a detector that gave me sooo many good finds and was also one of White's all time greats. Then I went to the V3i, and out of dumb luck, went "backwards" to the MXT when a good deal came along, and was amazed at the MXT. The MXT is still my main detector but I keep the V3i and XL Pro for when the mood strikes to use those. Your "design engineer" comment about the XLT is very true, and that's why I still have a love/hate relationship with my V3i and can't ever seem to step away from it. It lets you design your own detector and fiddling with the settings is a great way to learn about how detectors work.

Sorry for the ramblings. It's like I'm finally among friends here and I can pour my heart out about how much I like the White's analog machines.grinning smiley .

Monte's got a great forum here and let's hope we see the White's activity pick up here as one by one we White's guys find refuge in the storm. There are tons of great posts here that will keep me busy for a long time reading through.

Detecting since 1980
Subject Author Views Posted

IDX Pro modified by Mr. Billthumbs up

Hombre 129 November 03, 2018 08:40PM

Re: IDX Pro modified by Mr. Billthumbs up

Wayfarer 88 November 11, 2018 06:43AM

jmaryt 66 November 11, 2018 09:29PM

Welcome back Darrenthumbs up

Hombre 68 November 11, 2018 04:13PM

Wayfarer 59 November 12, 2018 04:16AM

jmaryt 58 November 11, 2018 09:17PM

Druid 55 November 10, 2018 03:35PM

Mr. Bill no longer does this modification.

Hombre 57 November 10, 2018 04:07PM

Re: Mr. Bill no longer does this modification.

Druid 58 November 10, 2018 04:12PM

Hombre said: *** White's dropped the ball ... *** and I couldn't agree more.

Monte 71 November 08, 2018 08:02AM

Re: Hombre said: *** White's dropped the ball ... *** and I couldn't agree more.

jmaryt 58 November 08, 2018 08:41PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 20
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018