Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Almost .. but not quite.

November 16, 2018 11:53PM avatar
scottwyl
Monte, either of the 2 Makro detectors I have can do anything the XL Pro can and more, as most are well aware of.
The popular Nokta & Makro Detectors are very well designed, versatile, and provide exceptional general Purpose performance. That said, I will not part with my two Nokta FORS CoRe or two FORS Relic or Nokta-Makro Anfibio Multi models, especially for handling the very dense iron debris filled old sites I enjoy hunting. The Racer 2 and Multi-Kruzer are also very worthy devices for serious hunting ... however.

There is no such thing as a 'perfect' detector and so far only the Anfibio Multi has passed one of my tough test scenarios I use for certain Cache Hunting type applications, and out of my 13 detectors, where most of the Nokta & Makro devices fall short, I get terrific detection performance from my White's XLT, modified Classic ID and MX-7 on that test. Also from my Tesoro Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX units and I was even surprised my Teknetics Omega 8000's hit on it.

There are several competitor's models that also fall short on this test, to include the XP Deus, Minelab CTX-3030, E-Trac, Explorer SE Pro and II and the new Equinox 800.

scottwyl
There is something about handling the Whites that I can't put a finger on, though. Besides the audio, it just has that feel. I can usually tell when I have come across a pulltab by the audio, except for surface finds. It's almost as if I can get an idea of shape of targets with it.
I know what you are saying, and that's why I have all but one of my all-time favorite White's models in my arsenal. Out of their current production the best I feel they offer for simplicity combined with versatile performance is the MX-7. Otherwise, my other favorites are discontinued models and of them I do have a choice condition modified Classic ID and pristine XLT. The one favorite that is missing from my Detector Outfit is a mint condition XL Pro. I'm on the lookout for one.

Not only do I like the excellent analog needle meter display, but, like you said, there is something about the smooth and clean audio that is unmatched by most detectors offered today.

scottwyl
The hunting environment which the XL Pro shines is rapidly disappearing. It would not be my first choice to take to a picnic ground, and certainly not out to the swimming hole. I doubt many ghost towners would pick it up first, either.
But when it you put it out on a ballfield, you find out what it's best at!
Both the XL Pro and XLT have been my favorite open-area detectors for wide-open spaces such as sports fields and large grassy parks. The XLT isn't quite in the same 4-filter category as the XL Pro, and while both of these are generally not my #1 pick for dense, iron contaminated Relic Hunting use, the XLT has found about 70% of my silver coins this year ... from ghost towns or junky renovation sites.

Matter of fact, with tomorrow being possibly the last good-weather day for detecting around here this year, I might take my XLT and go 'park hunting' instead of head for a ghost town. That will be closer to home and give me a chance to hunt a while then get back here to check websites to try and track down an affordable, choice condition XL Pro.

I like your signature list of detectors and search coils, too.thumbs up The 7" Concentric and 5" DD on the Makro devices should be matched and complemented with coils for your White's units as well, and I am sure. I hope you can get out with the holiday weekend coming.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

'Regular-Use Detector Team' are models from: Fisher, Nokta / Makro, Teknetics, Tesoro and White's
'Specialty-Use Detectors' are models from: Compass, Garrett and Teknetics
Pinpointers: Using Nokta / Makro and Uniprobe Pointers.
Headphones: Using Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star and Detector Pro's Uniprobe ... All w/'tank style' ear cups.
Recovery Gear: Using White's DigMaster digging tool and Signature Series pouch.
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen as desired based on search site conditions.
Some models are assigned for 'Regular-Use' and others are on-hand for 'Specialty Use.'
Additional search coils, mounted on spare lower-rods, are on-hand in my Accessory Coil Tote.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147
Subject Author Views Posted

How to get the most out of the 6000 Pro XL later it was named XL ProWhite's Electronics

Hombre 101 November 13, 2018 09:16PM

Re: How to get the most out of the 6000 Pro XL later it was named XL ProWhite's Electronics

Wayfarer 69 November 15, 2018 06:22AM

Wayfarer, a little added comment about 'Fold-Over' and Signal Balance.

Monte 45 November 18, 2018 09:50AM

Re: Wayfarer, a little added comment about 'Fold-Over' and Signal Balance.

Wayfarer 47 November 22, 2018 01:42AM

If you have the 6000 Pro XL / XL Pro Instruction Manual, refer to this.

Monte 42 November 22, 2018 08:54AM

Re: If you have the 6000 Pro XL / XL Pro Instruction Manual, refer to this.

Dick Stout 18 December 07, 2018 12:59PM

I dream all the time about going 'back-in-time.'

Monte 21 December 07, 2018 02:58PM

Re: I dream all the time about going 'back-in-time.'

D&P-OR 10 December 09, 2018 01:49PM

Re: I dream all the time about going 'back-in-time.'

Druid 16 December 09, 2018 12:37PM

Re: Wayfarer, a little added comment about 'Fold-Over' and Signal Balance.

Wayfarer 32 November 22, 2018 07:11AM

Darren, you couldn't be closer to describing near perfection. One of White's all-time finest models ....

Monte 33 November 22, 2018 09:13AM

Wonky Ground Balance and Fold Over.....

Hombre 67 November 17, 2018 06:31PM

Re: Wonky Ground Balance and Fold Over.....

Wayfarer 29 November 22, 2018 01:50AM

Re: Wonky Ground Balance and Fold Over.....

Hombre 22 November 22, 2018 11:37AM

Re: How to get the most out of the 6000 Pro XL later it was named XL ProWhite's Electronics

Timbertodd 45 November 14, 2018 07:22PM

Todd, about your '6000' model.

Monte 43 November 15, 2018 05:00PM

Re: Todd, about your '6000' model.

Timbertodd 38 November 15, 2018 07:04PM

scottwyl 55 November 13, 2018 10:03PM

Hombre 65 November 13, 2018 10:20PM

scottwyl 45 November 14, 2018 06:50PM

Two very good models you've added, and a wise decision.

Monte 45 November 15, 2018 05:06PM

Re: Two very good models you've added, and a wise decision.

scottwyl 32 November 16, 2018 01:41PM

Almost .. but not quite.

Monte 34 November 16, 2018 11:53PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 12
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018