Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cindy, a good Tesoro-built model should not be overlooked.

November 21, 2018 09:40AM avatar
NWCindy
Oh I think I was responding to the fellow from Europe but anyway I like the Troy Shadow a lot it's really light so that is a real asset when you're tired or for young people it's really good.
The Shadow X2 is the better Shadow offering, in my opinion, and just needs to have one coil selected for it and make sure the internal GB trimmer is tweaked to make it functional for most mineralized environments.

Too often I have seen some people think Tesoro's are better for kids and not trust them enough to used them their self. My Tesoro's and Teknetics Omega's are the lightest weight models in my arsenal, and with my degrading health and mobility I enjoy using them a lot, especially the last few years. My White's Classic ID with the small 5½" Concentric coil and MX-7 w/6½" Concentric coil also make comfortable packages to use for longer durations, as are my Nokta CoRe and Relic units with their small or mid-size 5X9½ open-frame DD coils.

My White's XLT w/6½" Concentric and Nokta-Makro Anfibio Multi are the heaviest models in my Detector Outfit, and while I use all of my detectors for various site applications, it is my lightest and handier models that are often the most fun to grab. Yesterday, just before we loaded up to leave 'Rippville', I got out my Nail Board and we used three target samples on it. A copper Cent, Rob's Owl Cigar Store Trade Token he had found, and a much tinier Capped-Bust Half-Dime.

Rob checked his Garrett AT Max with various settings, such as with Discrimination high enough to just barely reject the iron nails, and he was using the Garrett 5X8 DD open-frame coil. He worked at a little settings adjustment to see how it would handle the challenge of the iron nails and the various sized targets. From my point of view it was just so-so in performance and the good-target signals were not all that spectacular. My Nokta CoRe w/5X9½ DD open-frame did better, and my CoRe with the smaller 'OOR' DD was spectacular. So was my Bandido II µMAX w/6" Concentric coil.

Rob tried his AT Max a little more then grabbed his other detector out of his pickup. It's a Tesoro Vaquero w/stock 8X9 open-frame Concentric coil, and when adjusted to just barely reject the nails like the other models, it also spanked the performance of his Garrett AT Max. He's headed back out today to try and get a coil over something else that's good, and no doubt in my mind he'll be using a Tesoro while the AT Max stays warm in his pickup.

There's no perfect detector made, but for the really trashy old places I like to hunt, I would happily grab my modified White's Classic ID or a Tesoro Bandido II µMAX or Silver Sabre µMAX (which the Shadow X2 derived from) and hunt them all day up against anything else on the market ... and that includes my MX-7 and other more recent analog/digital or digital models White's offers.

As for Tesoro, never sell a good Tesoro-built model short on performance.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

'Regular-Use Detector Team' are models from: Fisher, Nokta / Makro, Teknetics, Tesoro and White's
'Specialty-Use Detectors' are models from: Compass, Garrett and Teknetics
Pinpointers: Using Nokta / Makro and Uniprobe Pointers.
Headphones: Using Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star and Detector Pro's Uniprobe ... All w/'tank style' ear cups.
Recovery Gear: Using White's DigMaster digging tool and Signature Series pouch.
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen as desired based on search site conditions.
Some models are assigned for 'Regular-Use' and others are on-hand for 'Specialty Use.'
Additional search coils, mounted on spare lower-rods, are on-hand in my Accessory Coil Tote.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147
Subject Author Views Posted

Might be purchasing a Classic ID soon

Jamie 65 November 14, 2018 11:31AM

Re: Might be purchasing a Classic ID soon

NWCindy 36 November 18, 2018 01:37PM

Timbertodd 37 November 18, 2018 04:35PM

NWCindy 33 November 18, 2018 04:51PM

Jamie 49 November 16, 2018 07:28PM

NWCindy 31 November 18, 2018 03:55PM

Congrats on your Classic ID purchase. Now, about search coils. thinking

Monte 43 November 17, 2018 11:27AM

Re: Congrats on your Classic ID purchase. Now, about search coils. thinking

Jamie 27 November 19, 2018 04:24AM

Hombre 64 November 14, 2018 12:14PM

Jamie 40 November 14, 2018 03:12PM

NWCindy 41 November 16, 2018 10:05PM

Jamie 35 November 17, 2018 11:02AM

NWCindy 36 November 17, 2018 11:26AM

RickUK 42 November 17, 2018 11:39AM

NWCindy 46 November 18, 2018 01:15PM

Cindy, was your response to me?

Monte 38 November 19, 2018 06:21AM

Re: Cincy, was your response to me?

NWCindy 43 November 20, 2018 05:46PM

Cindy, a good Tesoro-built model should not be overlooked.

Monte 46 November 21, 2018 09:40AM

I agree about the "2nd effort" of Troy Custom Detectors.

Monte 43 November 17, 2018 12:22PM

RickUK 41 November 17, 2018 11:24AM

RickUK, some very cood comments that we seem to agree on. thumbs up

Monte 36 November 17, 2018 12:02PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 15
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018