Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

To answer a tough question, if forced to pick only one, I prefer ...

December 12, 2018 10:34AM avatar
the XLT. But it would be one of the toughest decisions I would have to make. Kind of like between a Nokta CoRe and Nokta Relic, which would I prefer. The best answer is to say if you don't have either of them, then simply get one at a time until you own both of them.smiling smiley

If my arm was really twisted to the point of excruciating pain, I might take one over the other, but it would get down to me asking a question first such as ... For what applications? I acquired my first of many XLT's in mid-'94 and I have used them for all phases of this detecting hobby. Even this year I found over half of my silver Dimes and half of the early Wheat-Back Cents with an XLT using the 6½" Concentric coil (my favorite), mostly at a ghost town, an old CCC encampment / Japanese Internment Camp, and a building demolition site. All trashier environments than where I would usually use an XLT.

However, even though I acquired the XLT with the intent of assigning it regular Coin & Jewelry Hunting duty, I have used it for all sorts of applications. I liked the better balance of the XLT in the 'slim-line' housing using the slide-in AA battery tray over the earlier big-box housings with the four 'C' cell batteries, such as the 6000 Di Pro and 5900 Di Pro. Then, just a few years later, I had the opportunity to check out a pre-production 6000 Pro XL and was favorably impressed with this new manual knobbed model using the excellent needle-meter ID and the same 'slim-line' control box and battery system as the XLT and newer Classic SL series and wanted one.

The 6000 Pro XL came out, I nabbed one quickly, and enjoyed the same detector even more when they changed the name to simply the XL Pro (I felt the '6000' reference had been way over-used). I have owned both models, several to many of each, and feel these two models are some of the best that ever came out of White's facility. Like the XLT, I used the XL Pro's for any application, knowing quite well that both of these models are out-classed in very dense iron contaminated sites and I had better models for those site needs.

Of the two, and even though they can both be used for the same general uses, I personally favor the XLT using my custom 'Bushwhack' program with Tone ID 'On' mainly for urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting, especially when working well manicured yards and similar sites where I wanted to try and restrict my recoveries to most-likely-to-be coin targets. Also for all the regular sites like grassy parks and schools, parking strips and easements, etc.

The XL Pro I favored when hunting older-use open park type locations because I just felt a better interpretation of the audio when hunting for more deeply-located targets. I tried a modified 6000 Pro XL with the four tone modifications but just didn't care for it as much as the standard, unaltered audio unit. I compared his with mine at a few hunt locations and passed on buying it from him. I was quite satisfied with the standard and excellent design XL Pro.

Of all the White's models ever made, and I underline and emphasize ever, the XLT and XL Pro (or original 6000 Pro XL before the name change) as being among my all-time Top Five detector models from White's Electronics.

My only personal issue today is that due to health impairments and mobility issues that likely won't be completely restored in my right shoulder/arm/hand I have been trimming models from my personal Detector Outfit that are too heavy or limit my hunt-time duration and, sadly for me, that includes these two models.sad smiley Kind of frustration after the surgery I had because I had been keeping a watchful eye for a choice-condition XL Pro.

Back to your question, my feelings are it is great to own and use one of each as they are both very capable detectors. But if I had to pick-and-choose between them, for me it is the XLT first. The primary reason is I have my custom 'Bushwhack' program that works quite well for me, and I like being able to use Tone ID for the bulk of my Coin & Jewelry Hunting. Other hunting as well, but I do have that option. Plus, the XLT and XL Pro do not share the fame "four-filter" type sweep speed requirement as the XLT is different and can be worked at a somewhat slower-to-moderate sweep than the XL Pro.

Both are great units, but since you asked, that's my pick-one preference.

Let me add this, if I may. Both models came standard with the 950 search coil. It's an 'OK' Concentric coil, but in my opinion it was a mistake. I felt they should have stayed with the 8" coil that was standard before the 950 came about in '87/'88 and if someone wanted a bigger-than-normal coil, they could buy and accessory coil. For general day-to-day hunting in more open areas with low target count, I prefer the 8" Concentric coil, my favorite being the burgundy-colored Royal 800. It balances and feels more comfortable than the 950.

Also, in my opinion the 6½" Concentric coil (600 Blue Max, 5.3 Black Max or 5.3 Bullseye which are all the same size) is a must-have for trashier or brushier environments, and is actually my #1, primary-use search coil on both of those models.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Fisher: 1, Nokta-Makro: 3, Teknetics: 1, Tesoro: 2, White's: 1
Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's 'Pro Star'
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

XLT vs XL Pro which do you prefer and why?

Druid 248 December 11, 2018 11:13PM

My most accurate and deepest contender in the White's 4 filter category is?????

Hombre 245 December 15, 2018 04:44PM

Randy, I'd like to argue with you about the 5900 Di Pro ...

Monte 210 December 16, 2018 10:56AM

To answer a tough question, if forced to pick only one, I prefer ...

Monte 249 December 12, 2018 10:34AM

Re: To answer a tough question, if forced to pick only one, I prefer ...

Druid 171 December 12, 2018 11:24AM

Perhaps that XLT is available . . . . . . smiling smiley

UtahRich 215 December 14, 2018 11:29PM

Unfortunately, Rich, you are 100% correct.

Monte 191 December 15, 2018 08:55AM

Re: Unfortunately, Rich, you are 100% correct.

OregonGregg 191 December 16, 2018 09:17AM

Re: Unfortunately, Rich, you are 100% correct.

Druid 162 December 16, 2018 04:14PM

Drew, about the XLT and mounting configurations.

Monte 172 December 16, 2018 07:17PM

Re: Drew, about the XLT and mounting configurations.

UtahRich 168 December 17, 2018 12:04AM

Re: Drew, about the XLT and mounting configurations.

Druid 142 December 17, 2018 10:10AM

Rich(Utah), I am sure the XLT would have worked quite well for you.

Monte 199 December 17, 2018 05:57AM

XLT 's old and new . . . .

UtahRich 188 December 17, 2018 05:52PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 23
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018