Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The 'Enhanced' MXT ... ITHA ... Winter

February 09, 2019 07:43AM avatar
Rich (Utah)
I have to say I like the MXT and the conveniences of the Pro and All Pro display / buttons. The interface is easy to use, the audio is pleasant and has an analog feel that gives a sense of modulation to the signals I really like.
The 'original' MXT was 'OK' and I got one early on and used it, but the 'enhanced' version ... the MXT Pro, was going to be an improvement with the prototype I evaluated, but carl Moreland went even further with the final production unit. A Coin & Jewelry mode audio tone glitch was taken care of, then the Tone / Ground Grab / Backlight touch-pads made a world of difference in functional access.

Rich (Utah)
It is an older design, but comparing to current detectors it can certainly hold it's own performance wise in most areas. The housing is antiquated but well balanced for me and functional. It is a comfortable detector for me to use.
Yes, the MXT Pro or All-Pro can easily hold its own against a lot of todays models even though it is getting rather dated and lacking some of the more recent functions that are quite useful. It's an analog/digital blended circuitry that had a very good, clean audio.

Like the Teknetics T2 and then Fisher F75, we can see three specimens that have been on the market for quite a while, had some enhancements along the way, but are all still very admired and useful detectors for many applications. And with a 6½" Concentric coil it will do well in almost any site you decide to hunt ... weather permitting.sad smiley

Rich (Utah)
As for the big foot style coils, I've only tried one briefly many years ago at an ITHA meeting. (that's a pretty long time ago) Joe Rawson was using one up on the slopes and did very well with it. He said it didn't have much depth, but you could cover huge areas quickly for shallow targets (4-5 inches or less)
Wide-coverage, front-to-rear, with reduced detection depth is what people liked for poaching shallower goodies in big open areas. It would have worked well for Joe on the ski slopes, too, with the advantages that most slopes are rocky and coins are very seldom more than 3" to 4" deep, if that.

But with today's detectors we can usually adjust detection depth with the Sensitivity control, and with many models using a 7X11 DD coil, or some a 5X9½ or 5½X10, we can come close to the 'practical' coverage of a clumsy BigFoot/CleanSweep coil. Besides, a BigFoot didn't work the full front-to-rear length with some detectors.

ITHA, yes, that was a while back. I started hosting monthly get-togethers in '81 called Recreationalists Rendezvous and we had enough participation in out monthly meetings we all agreed to organize a Metal Detecting Club. We named it Intermountain Treasure Hunters Association and so it was for ten years with meeting in Kaysville, Utah. In '85 Dave Stuart & I formed a another detecting club in September called TWAS for Trails West Artifact Society and had meetings a bit farther north in Ogden. It was a growing time for metal detecting clubs and even though many of the members were in both clubs they each had others of their own.

Meetings were in the same week on different days which gave participants a double opportunity to display their monthly achievements in the two Find-of-the-Month competitions. In May of '86, TWAS had one more member than ITHA as clubs back then grew rapidly. There were some issues with the meeting facility in Kaysville, and a suggestion was proposed in '91 to merge the two clubs into one, but retain the Trails West Artifact Society name, and for a very good reason. It eliminated the negative thoughts associated with the terms 'Treasure Hunting' or 'Treasure Hunter.' I have tried as hard as possible to never use those terms in print or open discussion for the past thirty+ years or so.

So ITHA lives on in TWAS, and while many early members have passed away or aged-out of the detecting hobby, there are still a few of us long-ago characters still in it. Dave Stuart, Mary Jones and I, to name three long-timers who I can think of who were part of the 'original' local club. And TWAS lives on with a monthly meeting this next Monday, February 11th in Ogden, Utah. They will be holding their May meeting on Monday the 13th, the day after our 10th WTHO based in Ogden, so I'm planning on attending that meeting after the Outing.

Rich (Utah)
It was -4*F when I walked out of the house this morning, just a little nippy. Fortunately, we've not had any arctic blasts like the midwest last week, Think the coldest we've been is -8* or somewhere close. We've had about 14-16 inches of snow in the last few days. Brighton picked up 5-6 feet of snow from the same storm. So, great conditions for the skiers. Always nice to have water to drink in the summer. It does make winter just a little bit longer though.
Yes, it is winter and it snuck up on us pretty late around here. Up until this morning, from November through February 8th, I had to shovel 2½" of snow one day, 1½" on another snowfall, and 1" with another brief passing storm. A couple of skiffs that vanished after sunrise, so we have only had 5" to 6" of snow this winter. Our 'average' is 12½" of snow per year.

Gregg & I have already made 3 ghost town trips since January 28th and had, I repeat HAD, hopes of an early spring arrival like we've enjoyed in 2016 and 2018. Instead, two storms are whacking us right now with cold, white-colored wetness and wind. It's been cold, and they say the colder air is coming. But it was snow-covered by 1 AM, winds have been 16 to 23 mph and guts to 30 mph since midnight, and we're due to get more snow with a good chance every day through at least next Friday. I know you have more snow, but I'd just like you to be assured you're not the only one dealing with winter's unpleasant behavior.

Preparing for Spring ... a WTHO in May in Utah and WTHO in June in Nevada ... working on research,

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Fisher:(2), Nokta-Makro:(4), Teknetics:(2), Tesoro:(2), White's:(1)
Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star and Detector Pro's Uniprobe
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2019 07:49AM by Monte.
Subject Author Views Posted

Rich, how is that XLT working out?

OregonGregg 117 January 26, 2019 12:17PM

XLT is Progressing

Rich (Utah) 108 January 26, 2019 03:18PM

Re: XLT is Progressing

OregonGregg 96 January 26, 2019 05:22PM

Sitting around waiting for good weather can get expensive.

Rich (Utah) 93 February 04, 2019 05:57PM

Oh, how true. Waiting to get to use these → cool smiley I end up ...

Monte 103 February 05, 2019 09:43AM

Bullseye 5.3 -

Rich (Utah) 85 February 05, 2019 03:33PM

Re: Bullseye 5.3 -

NWCindy 79 February 08, 2019 06:16PM

Bullseye 5.3 - just delivered today

Rich (Utah) 49 February 08, 2019 10:54PM

Re: Bullseye 5.3 - just delivered today

NWCindy 66 February 09, 2019 12:02AM

Re: Bullseye 5.3 - just delivered today

NWCindy 65 February 08, 2019 11:48PM

Re: Bullseye 5.3 -

Monte 65 February 06, 2019 02:10PM

Coils Coils Coils

Rich (Utah) 70 February 07, 2019 04:27PM

Detector picks and coil selections.

Monte 74 February 08, 2019 06:07AM

Detector picks and coil selections.

Rich (Utah) 47 February 08, 2019 01:47PM

The 'Enhanced' MXT ... ITHA ... Winter

Monte 79 February 09, 2019 07:43AM

"Project Machine" aka Another OregonGregg Boondoggle Attachments

OregonGregg 104 February 05, 2019 10:52AM

Re: "Project Machine" aka Another OregonGregg Boondoggle

Druid 73 February 06, 2019 09:06PM

OregonGregg 73 February 07, 2019 08:07AM

Druid 68 February 07, 2019 01:13PM

Have a coil coming. Thanks Jim ( Dirtdigger) N/T

OregonGregg 60 February 06, 2019 02:08AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 32
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018