Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Coils neede to be 'well equipped.'

February 27, 2019 12:43AM avatar
Druid
Picked up a blue max 800. (used), & a new old stock Bullseye 6".
The 6" Bullseye will be part of two coil set for IDX Pro along with the other NOS BM 350. 8" will take the place of the unloved 9.5" concentric.
Having a 4½" (BM 350) a 6½" (Bullseye 5.3) and an 8" (much better than the 950 in my opinion as wellthumbs up) ... all concentric type coils ... make a nice 3-coil set-up for the IDX Pro. They can be used on an XLT or other 'modern' or 'latter-issue' 6.59 kHz models as well, but with the slow-motion IDX Pro with it's quick-response and fast-recovery behavior, all three can be functional.

I have 2 of the 15 kHz FORS CoRe and 2 of the 19 kHz FORS Relic models. One of each has a smallest coil mounted and the 2nd of each wears the mid-size 5X9½ DD. In my Accessory Coil Tote I only have 1 standard 7X11 DD for a CoRe and only 1 standard 7X11 for the Relic. I do have the larger-size DD coil for the CoRe, but it is used exclusively for Cache Hunting. It's the only Regular-Use detector I have an over-size coil for.

No other coils for the CoRe or Relic. I have a Teknetics T2+, only use the 5" DD, and the 11" BiAxial stays in the tote. I have 2 Fisher F44's that only use the 7" Concentric or 5" DD. No other coils for them at this time. I have a Tek. Omega 8000 w/7" Concentric and 4" Concentric, and that's it. I have 2 Tesoro's, the Bandido II and Silver Sabre microMAX versions, and they each have a 6" Concentric coil and I have no other coils for them. I do have an extra 'OOR' DD for the CoRe and extra 5" DD for the Relic, just in case since those are the most desired and most used search coils for those models.

As Rich(Utah) stated in his post, and I know because I have been down that road too many times in years past, we can sometimes end up with too many search coils, often not really needed because we might have one of more detector and coil set-ups that can tackle that same situation. That's why I keep my Accessory Coils limited to only what has proven to provide functional performance in the past or present.

Druid
Pretty much set now for coils except the Sierra 6" Eliminator Co-Axial for playgrounds & tot lots that I foolishly sold.moody smiley
I never owned one but I did have one to evaluate, and found that I could match or better the all around performance when working in tot-lots and similar sites with a lot of metal structures. matter-of-fact, the two models I used back then that provided me with comparable performance ... or better ... were a Tesoro Silver Sabre microMAX with the 6" Concentric search coil, and a modified White's Classic ID with the 4½' Blue Max 350 coil.

I had the opportunity to buy the Eliminator coil, but after using it and doing comparisons I couldn't justify it to myself since I had detectors and coils that provided matching or better results.

Just some thoughts.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Fisher:(1), Nokta-Makro:(4), Teknetics:(2), Tesoro:(2), White's:(1)
Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star and Detector Pro's Uniprobe
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Couple of new coils 6.59KHz

Druid 77 February 26, 2019 01:20PM

I have a few coils....

Hombre 28 March 10, 2019 06:37PM

Coils neede to be 'well equipped.'

Monte 50 February 27, 2019 12:43AM

can you have too many coils? No

Jamie 43 February 26, 2019 04:53PM

CAN you have too many coils?

Rich (Utah) 46 February 26, 2019 06:21PM

Very good post, especially saving $$$ for a WTHO. thumbs up N/T

Monte 38 February 26, 2019 11:47PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 25
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018