Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MXT 'family' models have proven performance.thumbs up

July 19, 2019 06:45AM avatar
Congratulations, again, on finding gold jewelry. I'm not sure what part of the greater Portland metro/regional area you're finding it, but I know that is one of the few things I miss about living over on that side of the state. I used to recover a lot of gold and silver jewelry, not to mention a good number of "flash money" that almost makes me want to visit for a while.

You stated: "... the signature double chirp when it goes over a ring with the concentric coil." and that isn't anything special. It is often caused by a target being shallower and too close to the search coil, or simply the search coil being swept too close to the ground and target, or a ring-shaped target. Also caused by a coin being "on-edge" and swept crosswise. Also usually somewhat shallow.

With most makes and models, and regardless of the type of search coil being used, search coils should be worked about 1" to 2" off-the-ground, varying a little from that based on the circuitry design, coil size, and the sensitivity and/or gain level being used. A big percentage of the good jewelry I used o find around there was from tot-lots and coining in 2nd were sports fields. Places where the jewelry was usually on or close to the surface or perhaps at a depth of only an inch of so from the search coil. Most of the time I used Concentric coils, which can be a little more susceptible to the edged or close proximity effect than a Double-D design coil, and it wasn't uncommon to get that "double chirp" response. Coins that were shallower also rendered a similar response and that is simply due to the effect on the EMF.

Anyway, way-to-go! You're single handedly thinning out a lot of good stuff in that more populated side of the state, and also adding to all the activity on the White's Forum. Glad to see you fire up an old favorite that got you started in this great sport. I used to use an M-6 w/6½" coil after they first came out as my daily Coin Hunting model.

Continued success, but go easy on a few places so I'll have something to find on my next trip over that direction.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Regular-Use Outfit: Nokta / Makro: 4 models .. Teknetics: 1 model
Tesoro: 2 models .. White's 1 model .. XP: 1 model
A Handy Loaner Unit: Fisher: F-44
Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' -- Detector Pro Gray Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Dusted off the M6 Attachments

zincoln 220 July 18, 2019 11:32PM

Re: Dusted off the M6

desertsmith 96 July 20, 2019 06:08AM

jmaryt 91 July 19, 2019 08:17PM

Kickindirt 105 July 19, 2019 05:47PM

zincoln 89 July 19, 2019 08:22PM

jmaryt 82 July 19, 2019 08:28PM

jmaryt 141 July 19, 2019 03:35PM

OregonGregg 116 July 19, 2019 05:30PM

MXT 'family' models have proven performance.thumbs up

Monte 123 July 19, 2019 06:45AM

Re: MXT 'family' models have proven performance.thumbs up

zincoln 115 July 19, 2019 12:36PM

Dusted off the third of my White’s Detectors, the M6

UtahRich 112 July 19, 2019 02:48AM

Re: Dusted off the third of my White’s Detectors, the M6

zincoln 123 July 19, 2019 10:33AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 11
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018