Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

jmaryt and ToddB64 ... detector picks and gold jewelry.

September 12, 2019 11:34PM avatar
Just some comments about two different topics related to detecting and finding gold and silver jewelry.

Detector Selection (and coils for them): ANY detector has the ability to find gold and silver jewelry, with gold being the more sought after due to value. Gold can be tougher to find because it is a lower-conductive metal target, but both gold and silver jewelry can get difficult to find due to their size-and-shape as well as orientation and relationship to the search coil.

Personally, I favor smaller-size to mid-size search coils and have found that many of the modern 'standard-size' coils are in the 9" to 11" range and are too large to fit into many tighter places where I find jewelry. They also don't do as well because many typical urban locations tend to have more masking trash in locations where a lot of better jewelry seems to get lost. That causes target masking and a smaller-size coil usually has an advantage.

During Detector selection we should make sure the operator has more control over the variable Discrimination setting, and in using the controls we should use the least amount of Discrimination possible. Preferably no more than Iron Nail rejection and certainly not into the lower-conductive non-ferrous range where a lot of lost gold jewelry can be.

I've found a fair share of good jewelry in favorable environments using an early-design, moderate-to-fast sweep motion-based Discriminator, like the XLT or XL Pro, but the bulk of the silver and gold rings, pendants, chains and other desirable jewelry have come my way, during the past 36+ years, when using slow-motion, quick-response and fast recovery models. Those can better handle the trashier environment where a lot of jewelry is found. And because it can be trashy or close to metal structures, I work the coil slowly and methodically so as not to impair small target detection by using too fast a sweep speed.

I rely on a good-performing Discriminate circuitry, keeping it set low so as not to reject the jewelry that can fall in a wide range of conductivities, and I NEVER try to make any Notch Disc. system work when, by design, it would be working against you. It doesn't matter what brand or model, analog or digital circuitry design, I don't want to use any more Disc. rejection than I absolutely need. For example, I have found good gold jewelry with my XLT's, but I also rely on my 'Bushwhack' program 98+% of the time, and that program ACCEPTS ALL of the Disc. range from -40 to +95. That's right, from minus 40! No notching of anything I that acceptance range.

Oh, one other consideration in detector selection is that I like a detector that is light-weight and comfortable, well balanced, too, so that I can relax and devote as much search time as possible to a dedicated site so I am not stressed and get fatigued easily. And these days. with my age and health limitations to deal with, I can easily get fatigued so I need to use a lighter-weight and well balanced detector / coil combination.

And a couple of other thoughts that have been in my favor to achieve successful results when afield are these: a.. I do not use or rely on audio Tone ID, and b.. I especially do not waste my time trying to rely on any form of visual Target ID. Since jewelry sizes and shapes and alloy content can rage over a broad spectrum, there is no way all that modern fancy stuff and pick-and-choose the good stuff from the bad stuff if it all non-ferrous. You search 'til it beeps, then you recover it and take a look.

While any of my Relic Hunting or urban Coin Hunting models can be grabbed to use in a search for desired jewelry, I do have a few favorites I like to use. Those would be my Tesoro Bandido II microMAX or Silver Sabre microMAX as my top two picks, or a more modern model I have I'd grab the Teknetics T2+ or Fisher F-44.

Through the years I have used a lot of detectors, but since '83 the bulk, and I mean 90% or more, of my better gold and silver jewelry finds have come my way when I was hunting with a Tesoro in-hand. And since I was living in a larger-size metro area of Portland, Oregon, during a 15 year span from '83 through '98, I was averaging between 21 and 23 gold rings per year. In addition to that there were at least double that in silver rings and a lot of other gold and silver chains and jewelry. And at least 90% of that with a favorite model from Tesoro.

Gold & Silver Jewelry (and where to find it): These two primary-metal objects cover a wide-range of the conductivity scale, from ± the Ferrous/Non-Ferrous break point on up into the US coin-range around the 1¢ to 25¢ mark. And that means everywhere in-between. Thus, if we want the good stuff, we don't try to ignore or reject the bad stuff. It's all part of the game of successfully Jewelry Hunting.

Jewelry, naturally worn by humans, is going to be lost wherever guys and gals have been, and especially where they have frequented the most and where they have been more active, so as to bring about some cause for jewelry loss. Common activities that can work in a hobbyist's favor might be: Swimming, sunbathing or playing at a beach or around a pool or even a children's wading pool while parents relax nearby. Any sports activity site, such as a volleyball sand lot, baseball, football, soccer or other similar sports event.

A popular-use picnic area or where folks might play in a park, or a seasonal activity such as skiing or sledding. Remember, not everyone wears jewelry, and not everyone looses jewelry .... but some will. Therefore, the higher the use and activity, the greater the odds that desirable jewelry will be lost. More people who actively use a site will increase the opportunity for someone to loose something. Many would be surprised just how many choice jewelry items can be recovered in a bark-chip or sand-filled tot-lot.

Those who want to find the best success, as in the greater number of good targets, are gong to have a greater chance by hunting a larger and more populated city compared to those who live in smaller-size towns or communities. Therefore, we are going to up our odds if we make drives from small-size locations to those that are larger and have more, and better, opportunities for success.

One thing to realize, too, is that we have seen some significant changes in the number of, and types of, people who wear nice jewelry, including when they are being active. We seem to have had a surge in jewelry attire, especially with males, during the '70s and a lot during the '80s and into maybe the mid '90s, and that's what I experienced when doing a lot of Coin & Jewelry Hunting mainly in bigger metro areas. Some I associated with football, but especially with a surge in soccer. We also saw a growth in the number of Asians and Hispanics in various sports, and those seemed to be more of the people wearing the flashy gold neck chains and rings.

By the late '90s there seemed to be a notable change as more of those involved in outdoor sports either wore a lot less gold and silver jewelry, or they figured out it got in the way and easily got lost, so they left it in their vehicle or at home. There was quite a remarkable change in the amount of lost jewelry from about that time to the present.

I just thought a few reminders wouldn't hurt. The main thing we need to do is get out detecting as much as we can, then concentrate on the best-potential locations, using a decent detector, very low Discrimination, and be patient while we work an area thoroughly. Slowly and methodically, and not rely on a visual display or an audio Tone ID or Notch Disc. Finally, I believe a lot of the better jewelry-finding era in average urban environments is a thing of the past. Yes, it will be lost, but not as frequently and as big a number as we once enjoyed.

High-use beach areas, salt or freshwater, are still going to be some of the better sites to search. And then some of the better activity areas, such as sledding and tubing hills, ski hills and the rest areas or parking areas associated with those sites where people take gloves off or reach in-and-out of their pockets a lot. Those can be good. Then other fair weather sports fields. And always, don't forget to hit the tot-lots and work the entire area and close to the metal structures. The latter will be best handles with a smaller-size coil and using proven technique to hunt around the metal poles / structures.

Monte

PS:Somehow I missed the 'Post' button early this morning and here it is, 11:30 PM. I guess I better get this posted as I am already loaded up with both Relic Hunting and Coin & Jewelry Hunting units because I'm headed out for somewhere ... not sure yetconfused smiley ... about 6 AM Friday morning. If it is a good jewelry-potential area, I have the gear I need.

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Regular-Use Outfit: Nokta / Makro: 4 models .. Teknetics: 1 model
Tesoro: 2 models .. White's 1 model .. XP: 1 model
A Handy Loaner Unit: Fisher: F-44
Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' -- Detector Pro Gray Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Best model of the XLT series for inland gold jewelry hunting

ToddB64 147 September 08, 2019 12:37PM

Re: Best model of the XLT series for inland gold jewelry hunting

zincoln 83 September 10, 2019 10:45PM

ToddB64 68 September 11, 2019 02:36PM

jmaryt 65 September 11, 2019 07:27PM

ToddB64 66 September 12, 2019 07:38AM

jmaryt and ToddB64 ... detector picks and gold jewelry.

Monte 78 September 12, 2019 11:34PM

jmaryt 73 September 12, 2019 12:18PM

Re: Best model of the XLT series for inland gold jewelry hunting I would go with the "E" series

Hombre 121 September 10, 2019 11:44AM

Re: Best model of the XLT series for inland gold jewelry hunting I would go with the "E" series

ToddB64 105 September 10, 2019 04:54PM

Hey Todd, sent you a PM, look in your mailbox hereWhite's Electronics N/T

Hombre 48 September 11, 2019 08:19PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 12
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018