Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Your question and comments are spot-on.

March 02, 2020 07:52AM avatar
Getting a proper search coil winding was maybe more important in the early days. All you had to do back then was grab some parts, including electronic components, knobs and switches, and know how to follow basic steps/instructions and be able to solder. "Depth" as too frequently talked about today wasn't a big issue. For a while there was no such thing as Discrimination, and that mainly called for a toggle, a knobbed pot and a little circuitry, wires and more soldering.

It helped if a detector maker used the units as well, in order to know how they worked, how they performance, and what might be needed in design. A lot of early detector manufacturers also did at least some level of detecting. When more sophisticated model came along in the early '80s with visual Target ID, both needle-meter and LCD, motion-based Discrimination, audio Tone ID, it coincided with the peak of the detector industry, as such, here in the USA. Ron Mack, a co-founder and President of Compass Electronics, and I had discussions about that when I was hired in '87. Naturally, he had a pulse on the industry and knew, as did some of the folks I spoke with from competitive companies, that the detector industry here pretty much peaked from '83 to '86.

That was about ten years before we started seeing 'Internet' activity but were experiencing the growing years of "Mail Order Discounting" and that resulted in the demise of a lot of dealers. Good, knowledgeable, small-scale dealers who dealt from their home or a very small retail outlet, but many who were also active in and supportive of local clubs. Many smaller-size detector makers went out of business, and some kind of died and were immediately resurrected with a new owner or president. Some like D-Tex and the original Gold Mountain and others.

Then, some sold out, like Gold Mountain and had a name change, or were just new to the market and had their detectors made by an existing manufacturer ... or they simply copied the circuitry of others ... but their life was short-lived, such as Gold Mountain Technologies, Pillar Electronics, Discovery Electronics, Troy Custom, etc. Even a new company with a well known design engineer in the industry, Discovery Electronics with George Payne, just couldn't make it and be competitive. Times were changing quickly in a decade that took us to about the mid-'90s.

Local Dealers were declining. Manufacturers were gone or going. Both of those had some supportive impact on detecting clubs that pretty much level off, and by 2000 we could see them start to decline .... quickly. Outside support and member/dealer support was gone. Older active members had aged or passed away and were no longer active in the hobby. Most detecting hobbyists have been urban Coin Hunters and in most areas where clubs are or have been around, there was no local interest in urging younger folks to come join the hobby, and younger people just were not interested. The days of hobby Coin Collecting are over. As are the days of finding a lot of coins for hobbyists. The 'fun factor' declined.

Even two decades ago, in larger-size metro areas like Portland, Oregon, that had a fair number of members in the longer-lived club, OTTS, many people might make a weekend outing to a local park, but lose interest because there just wasn't tht much to be found, or the amount f discarded trash continued to increase and get them out-of-the-mood. Yes, we know there are still coins out there to be found, if we put in the time and if we would remove all the masking trash that keeps building up at common public-use sites.

Here's some ABC information for readers:

A.. Alper Tozan
B.. Bruce Candy
C.. Carl Moreland

And the alphabet game could go on with

D.. David Johnson

... then and add John Gardiner, to the list of electronic design engineers, and we see the designing minds from Nokta / Makro Technologies, Minelab, and the next three from First Texas Products (one of them who had-been at White's a short while) and they have been involved in this industry and have sharp minds for modern design as well as some understanding of how metal detectors are supposed to work.

Who's left? Garrett, and I am sure they have a good engineer, as well as a CEO, I believe he is, who was their lead engineer for a long, long time overseeing what happens there. I have no clue who the engineer is at XP in France, but I am sure we could find that out. Anybody left in manufacturing who bring us top-of-the-line models with great features and performance? White's, but I'm not sure who their design engineer is, or their knowledge and background, to contribute to this great sport.

In the USA, you are right about First Texas having the best group of design engineers we are aware of, and you're also right that I don't think there's a line of young graduates forming with an interest in this as a career. Honestly, I would like to have seen Tesoro stay in the game, but no engineer and not enough $$$. I'd like to see the three remaining manufacturers stay in the game, actively, but all the signs are pointing at FTP and Garrett as being the most likely to do so. It might be that 2020 is the year to step-it-up, or start laying people off before a final shut-down. We'll see.

Monte's thoughts.

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Daily Use: Apex -- Vanquish 540 -- Racer 2 & Simplex + -- Bandido II µMAX & Silver Sabre µMAX -- MX-7
Specialty Use: CoRe -- Relic -- XLT
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive -- ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' -- MS-3 Z-Lynk -- ML-80 -- N/M Green Edition
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Will there be anything new ... and useful ... from White's ...

Monte 378 February 28, 2020 07:04AM

Thought on White's ... and some advice if they are listening

Wayfarer 207 March 28, 2020 11:23AM

Re: Thought on White's ... and some advice if they are listening

NWCindy 167 March 28, 2020 10:14PM

glabelle 177 March 28, 2020 03:43PM

Sodbuster 165 April 06, 2020 02:23PM

My gut feeling (based on nothing really) is that White’s will be around for some time to come  N/T

Tony 182 March 17, 2020 04:58AM

I'd like to see that happen, but ....

Monte 260 March 17, 2020 06:27AM

Re: I'd like to see that happen, but ....

Tony 198 March 17, 2020 04:21PM

Let's give them a hand up, and not a push down

zincoln 202 March 17, 2020 08:02PM

Re: Let's give them a hand up, and not a push down

Sodbuster 181 March 18, 2020 08:42AM

Brian, a very kind and considerate write-up.

Monte 208 March 18, 2020 06:15AM

I'll keep carrying the flag as long as i have working machines...

zincoln 198 March 18, 2020 10:27AM

Re: I'll keep carrying the flag as long as i have working machines...

glabelle 177 March 18, 2020 12:31PM

Re: I'll keep carrying the flag as long as i have working machines...

OregonGregg 182 March 18, 2020 03:38PM

Memories

Remfire 173 March 18, 2020 09:51PM

Making memories in Lonesome Arch was a good start.

Monte 189 March 19, 2020 11:23AM

Re: Memories

OregonGregg 193 March 19, 2020 05:16AM

UtahRich 168 March 17, 2020 11:09PM

zincoln 156 March 18, 2020 05:35AM

Tony 171 March 17, 2020 09:48PM

Here in the USA, White's IS overpriced.

Monte 199 March 18, 2020 06:06AM

zincoln 163 March 18, 2020 05:41AM

White's nostagia

glabelle 155 March 17, 2020 05:01PM

Re: I'd like to see that happen, but ....

glabelle 149 March 17, 2020 05:01PM

Re: Will there be anything new ... and useful ... from White's ...

jmaryt 238 February 28, 2020 11:13PM

Re: Will there be anything new ... and useful ... from White's ...

glabelle 216 February 29, 2020 08:11AM

Here's How You Do It ...

Monte 240 February 29, 2020 08:27AM

Re: Here's How You Do It ...

jmaryt 205 February 29, 2020 04:50PM

No, don't WANT to see them croak. But, the real question is ...

Monte 254 March 01, 2020 08:23AM

Re: No, don't WANT to see them croak. But, the real question is ...

jmaryt 199 March 01, 2020 07:44PM

Monte 203 March 01, 2020 08:42PM

jmaryt 176 March 02, 2020 10:16PM

Fixing and making, basic education to technical education.

Monte 245 March 03, 2020 02:00AM

glabelle 176 March 01, 2020 09:44PM

Your question and comments are spot-on.

Monte 210 March 02, 2020 07:52AM

Re: Your question and comments are spot-on.

johnedoe 132 March 28, 2020 01:55PM

I kind of agree, but at the same time disagree .at least a little.

Monte 137 March 29, 2020 04:38PM

Re: Your question and comments are spot-on.

glabelle 118 March 28, 2020 03:49PM

Stay Tuned??? I did that once. All I got was 'snow' or a bunch of colorful lines and a loud noise. N/T

Monte 173 February 29, 2020 07:56AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 31
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 356 on August 30, 2020