Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I'd like to see that happen, but ....

March 17, 2020 06:27AM avatar
They have now discontinued th VX3 and soon the V3i, so that eliminates their top-two detector models, and that's because some of the color displays and other circuitry components are outdated or no longer made. It's been almost a dozen years since the original 'Vision' was introduced before it morphed to the V3 then V3i.

The have an over-priced 'entry-level' batch of detectors. They pale to those offered by Garrett for the same $$$ bracket, and both of those manufacturers are well behind in both features and performance to the Minelab Vanquish series and the Nokta / Makro Simplex+. The Makro Racer 2 is still available The Makro Racer 2 is NOT 'entry-level' and has a list price of $499, and there is no way anything from White's or Garrett can compete with what it offers in design or field performance.

And from all obvious signs, Garrett metal Detectors and First Texas Products both have a lot more going for them when it comes to advertising and marketing. White's has fallen way, way behind the curve, and I haven't a clue who they might have as a lead design engineer to make anything new.

My first factory produced detector back in '68 was a White's, and for many years when I had multiple detectors on hand, several of them were a White's model, right up until about twenty years ago. The top favorites were the XLT, XL Pro and a modified Classic SL series model like a Classic ID or IDX Pro. Then the MXT, sort of, but the revised and improved feature MXT Pro fit in. The last offering that worked fine was the MX-7, but the other models were not and are not up to current design level.

No telling what White's will have to do to stay in the game for as long as they can. They started making Lifetime Warranty Pro Star headphones there in Sweet Home, but that cost too much so they switched to having the Pro Star headphones made in China ... with no warranty mentioned on the box, and there's no paperwork with them to suggest 90 days or anything. They have chased Minelab for years, going to larger-size standard coils Double-D standard coils, so why not keep doing what they are doing.

Eight years ago, at a 2012 Dealer Seminar, the Minelab folks let us know they were moving their production to Malaysia, and I spoke with a Minelab rep last week who confirmed to me that was still the case. They told us the main reason was cost-cutting, and with the rise in the minimum wage here in Oregon, going to off-shore route might be an objective White's has considered to still have their name on a product and remain in existence for a while. to be quite honest, it wouldn't surprise me.

I look at the friends I have who have bought a new Minelab Equinox in the past two-plus years, as well as the many Forums I follow and not a big trend for the Malaysia-made Minelab's compared to the dwindling number of people buying a new White's. I bought two of their Vanquish 540 Pro packs the last month-and-a-half, and White's doesn't seem to be doing much in marketing or new design. I also have seen a lot more people, friends or those we read about on the Forums, who have taken on a Minelab or an XP or a Nokta / Makro product ... even two or more of these brands ... while there has been very little interest in anything White's offers.

Nope, I just don't see it happening. I'd like to see White's continue to be a top-end manufacturer, but the signs just are not there. Anyone with an excellent condition IDX Pro (that's been modified) or XL Pro or XLT (which all happen to share the same search coils) has a very solid-performing models. They might not have all the adjustment features of many of those offered today by competitors, but in the field they can match or better their performance.

But with what is offered today, and not now being discontinued, seems to have a too-high MSRP to keep up, and also lacks many common features or desired features. Some things we haven't see from White's since the 5900 Di Pro S, and that is operator-adjusted manual Ground Balance. Not on really the same on the XLT, or DFX or VX3 or V3i, or 6000 Di Pro Sl or 6000 Pro Xl or XL Pro, or even the multi-purpose MXT or MXT Pro, or MX-5, MX-7 or MX Sport.

But there is manual GB on the Minelab Equinox, the XP Deus and ORX, and the Nokta FORS CoRe and Relic, Makro Racer and Racer 2, Nokta / Makro Impact, Kruzer series, Anfibio series, and even the $299 Simplex+. And some of the USA produced models also feature a manual GB to some extent on a Fisher F75 and F19, Teknetics T2 series, and G2+, and even my affordably-priced Fisher F44 has manual GB capability.

It seems obvious to me that there is a definite want or need in the metal detector industry to provide a consumer-desired GB adjustment .... but where has White's been and where are they now? I'd call and ask some of the people I've know who worked there, but they have passed away or for various reasons are gone. No longer there. You can have a more skeleton staff if the product is produced in a foreign market, which might happen. Who knows? But would that even be hold White's interest with their long-loyal consumers, at least here in the USA?

I have a package I'm sending off to White's this week and their response will tell me a bit about where I think they are headed. White's Electronics Forum will stay here on AHRPS for those who use their products, just like the Tesoro Electronics Forum. But how long might it be until they share another image like Tesoro ... Out of Business.

Time will tell.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detectors: I rely on an assortment of personal favorites I happen to like that work for me when and where I need them.
Pinpointers: Makro & Pulse-Dive .. Headphones: Killer B's 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' ... Detector Pro's Gray Ghost XP
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Will there be anything new ... and useful ... from White's ...

Monte 172 February 28, 2020 07:04AM

Thought on White's ... and some advice if they are listening

Wayfarer 58 March 28, 2020 11:23AM

Re: Thought on White's ... and some advice if they are listening

NWCindy 37 March 28, 2020 10:14PM

glabelle 41 March 28, 2020 03:43PM

Sodbuster 26 April 06, 2020 02:23PM

My gut feeling (based on nothing really) is that White’s will be around for some time to come  N/T

Tony 54 March 17, 2020 04:58AM

I'd like to see that happen, but ....

Monte 77 March 17, 2020 06:27AM

Re: I'd like to see that happen, but ....

Tony 55 March 17, 2020 04:21PM

Let's give them a hand up, and not a push down

zincoln 67 March 17, 2020 08:02PM

Re: Let's give them a hand up, and not a push down

Sodbuster 46 March 18, 2020 08:42AM

Brian, a very kind and considerate write-up.

Monte 53 March 18, 2020 06:15AM

I'll keep carrying the flag as long as i have working machines...

zincoln 57 March 18, 2020 10:27AM

Re: I'll keep carrying the flag as long as i have working machines...

glabelle 48 March 18, 2020 12:31PM

Re: I'll keep carrying the flag as long as i have working machines...

OregonGregg 48 March 18, 2020 03:38PM

Memories

Remfire 46 March 18, 2020 09:51PM

Making memories in Lonesome Arch was a good start.

Monte 45 March 19, 2020 11:23AM

Re: Memories

OregonGregg 49 March 19, 2020 05:16AM

UtahRich 45 March 17, 2020 11:09PM

zincoln 37 March 18, 2020 05:35AM

Tony 48 March 17, 2020 09:48PM

Here in the USA, White's IS overpriced.

Monte 46 March 18, 2020 06:06AM

zincoln 41 March 18, 2020 05:41AM

White's nostagia

glabelle 43 March 17, 2020 05:01PM

Re: I'd like to see that happen, but ....

glabelle 43 March 17, 2020 05:01PM

Re: Will there be anything new ... and useful ... from White's ...

jmaryt 94 February 28, 2020 11:13PM

Re: Will there be anything new ... and useful ... from White's ...

glabelle 85 February 29, 2020 08:11AM

Here's How You Do It ...

Monte 88 February 29, 2020 08:27AM

Re: Here's How You Do It ...

jmaryt 78 February 29, 2020 04:50PM

No, don't WANT to see them croak. But, the real question is ...

Monte 109 March 01, 2020 08:23AM

Re: No, don't WANT to see them croak. But, the real question is ...

jmaryt 75 March 01, 2020 07:44PM

Monte 66 March 01, 2020 08:42PM

jmaryt 56 March 02, 2020 10:16PM

Fixing and making, basic education to technical education.

Monte 100 March 03, 2020 02:00AM

glabelle 61 March 01, 2020 09:44PM

Your question and comments are spot-on.

Monte 73 March 02, 2020 07:52AM

Re: Your question and comments are spot-on.

johnedoe 27 March 28, 2020 01:55PM

I kind of agree, but at the same time disagree .at least a little.

Monte 21 March 29, 2020 04:38PM

Re: Your question and comments are spot-on.

glabelle 17 March 28, 2020 03:49PM

Stay Tuned??? I did that once. All I got was 'snow' or a bunch of colorful lines and a loud noise. N/T

Monte 55 February 29, 2020 07:56AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018