Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Back to you, Albert.

September 24, 2020 10:46AM avatar
Albert
Hi Monte, thank you for the reply and thank you for the programs . I've printed them out and added them to my folder.

I just hope some of the programs, or parts of them, can be helpful,.

Albert
One question . You said that you've had over 36 xlt's. Did you ever own a dfx?

Yes, I own four of those miserable gadgets and handled some others that people had.

Albert
They seem the same except for the dual frequency on the dfx. Heck even some parts are interchangeable. I would of thought you would of prefer the dual frequency for all types of hunting compared to the single frequency xlt.

Same control housings, weight and balance. That's about all they had in common, other than the 8-AA battery tray. The DFX was an improvement .... only because it had a better TID display than the earlier one used in the XLT. The DFX's display is a bold, clean-looking color and White's used to use the DFX display when they replaced a defective XLT display. I wish I would have had that done, but my displays have worked just fine.

Most other parts aren't interchangeable, and the dual-frequency design didn't impress me with performance, including when singly applied. The Bottle Cap reject didn't work as well, and the adjustment range was less functional than the XLT's. When I compared each of the DFX's I owned or borrowed, against the XLT's I had at the time, the XLT was the clear winner when it came to performance, TID / VDI lock-on and accuracy, and general performance in trashier places with ferrous, non-ferrous or a mix of both trash types.

And when it comes to any make or model detector that uses a Simultaneous Multi-Frequency (SMF) circuitry design, ... and I have owned and used a lot of them from Fisher, Minelab and White's .... some might provide some level of performance that can be seen and appreciated for certain tasks, but in the long-run I have had as-good or better in-the-field performance for many applications with a good Single-Frequency detector.

An SMF model can be a very good detector for a lot of applications and for a lot of average Hobbyists, but too many are fooled if they think a SMF detector is close to invincible or will out-class a Single-Frequency detector all the time. Not true as I discovered long ago, and have demonstrated to friends when we've been detecting some sites were they relied almost 100% on their chosen SMF detector.

Albert
Few minor differences in the menus. I have the rainbow xlt and the E xlt. They both work great

"Working great" almost comes naturally with an XLT unless someone has used some settings that have a negative impact on performance. There are a lo of adjustment features that could easily have been eliminated on the XLT, and some that, when properly adjusted, could have been designed-in and not user adjustable so the XLT would perform well. Matter-of-fact, I had wished they would have produced a 'modern' XLT by imply eliminating the 'fluff' and retain the few useable features. Then, with a compressed-size circuitry, put it in the MX-7 housing and just give us a good land-based and very functional Coin Hunting detector.

Useable elsewhere, but it would have met the wants and needs of so many Hobbyists as well as Avid Detectorists, and while the 6.6 kHz frequency worked well, they could have still had great performance in the 10 kHz to 15 kHz range, such as the MXT's and MX-7 or MX-Sport at 14 kHz. A good universal frequency range that is hot on all typical coin types as well as silver and gold jewelry. The important part would be to design it so it worked or behaved similar to th XLT. Maybe a slightly more moderate sweep speed, but retain the 'character' of the XLT, such as the Tone ID and Modulation, etc.

Albert
I don't have a DFX but I figuered the V3i takes care of the multi frequency department and it has a super nice screen. Kind of like watching a color tv while detecting lol.

Well, the VX3 and V3i did fill a SMF niche for White's, but I personally didn't care for it. I had way too many problems with their first release and with several revisions for the many glitches as they were addressed. As a Master Dealer I had a V3i, but I worked it a lot against other detectors I had at the time, such as an XLT, XL Pro, 5900 Di Pro SL and MXT Pro, and in the end the one I liked the least was the V3i. It had a quirkish sweep speed , and in some of the highly mineralized ground where I did some comparisons with others, it was simply ... terrible.

And for too many decades, spanning over half-a-century, it has been the Audio response I have relied on the most. A Visual display can be useful or helpful at times, but Audio always comes first. And the different colorful display features of the V3i were, to me, more of a distraction than anything. I'd rather hunt, get a dig-worthy 'Beep!', maybe take a quick glance at a display and recover the target and move on. Never liked horsing around with different adjustment settings or different displayed information when all that was really needed was to recover a target and get back to searching and finding.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Daily Use: Apex -- Vanquish 540 -- Racer 2 & Simplex + -- Bandido II ┬ÁMAX & Silver Sabre ┬ÁMAX -- MX-7
Specialty Use: CoRe -- Relic -- XLT
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive -- ProPointer AT .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' -- MS-3 Z-Lynk -- ML-80 -- N/M Green Edition
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Xlt

Albert 96 September 03, 2020 06:03AM

Albert, sorry for the tardy reply. My goof.

Monte 57 September 23, 2020 10:15AM

Re: Albert, sorry for the tardy reply. My goof.

Albert 37 September 23, 2020 07:38PM

Back to you, Albert.

Monte 43 September 24, 2020 10:46AM

Joe Average - That's Me ! grinning smiley

UtahRich 43 September 24, 2020 01:04PM

Joe Average? -- No, that's NOt you, Rich.

Monte 38 September 24, 2020 05:16PM

Re: Joe Average No Tell me it ain't So

Senior Deacon 37 September 24, 2020 07:52PM

Well stated and quite correct.

Monte 41 September 25, 2020 06:54AM

Re: Joe Average - That's Me ! grinning smiley

D&P-OR 42 September 24, 2020 02:22PM

Re: Xlt

Timbertodd 61 September 03, 2020 06:15PM

Re: Xlt

Albert 61 September 04, 2020 05:55PM

White's XLT programs? They're Everywhere

UtahRich 58 September 04, 2020 09:55PM

Re: White's XLT programs? They're Everywhere

Albert 47 September 07, 2020 08:08AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 37
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 356 on August 30, 2020