Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: The deep ones

September 14, 2020 11:03PM
Hello Senior Deacon,

First off, welcome! Before I add any commentary, i need to say that I've not used a 5900 (i did have a 4900d years ago) and our ground here in Oregon is not generally so sweet.

I'm sure that there are several on here that can comment on getting the most out of this model, but what I'd add is that you may need to temper your expectations regarding the setups you use and the depth you can achieve. As a close approximation, you can't expect to get much deeper than the coil is wide (maybe a bit depending upon the specific equipment and the soil). Here in western Oregon, and with very modern equipment, its rare that i achieve depths that are >75% of the coil width with any moderate fidelity in the VDI. Take a 6" concentric coil on the MX Sport or V3i. I can get about 4" out of that coil with a VDI that is meaningful. I can hit the same coin at 6-7", but i may get an iron reading. This is running all metal and accepting all targets while using tone breaks and stereo audio to hear it all and ensure i don't discriminate out good targets. The machine sees a target, but can't distinguish it. I'm not going to dig that iron target as its so deep it doesn't give a good VDI, doesn't pinpoint well, etc. So, no doubt i walk over deep targets that get left in the ground. Now, if i spend time on that iron target, and really work it, i may get a few high squeaks and eventually get into info to peak my interest and dig it. 90 some percent of the time it ends up a nail....but on that rare occasion its a coin. The older use sites are often littered with small bits of iron and old nails, and if i dug every iron grunt.....well....i'd dig thousands more holes than i dig now. So, how many holes do you want to dig? One of Monte's favorite sayings is 'the only absolute VDI are your eyes on the target'.

The deepest I've ever dug a silver dime with a VDI that made any sense was about 8" and that was using a 10" stock DD coil in very tough ground. I'm certain there are deeper targets in this specific area i hunt, but nearly all the one way squeaks now are nails. Those few remaining good, deep coins are iron grunts.....but how on earth do i pick out the iron grunts to dig in a field where i want to leave it in nice shape? I've tried the 13" detech coil, and I don't think it goes any deeper. Believe the mineralization in the ground and iron masking also keep this to about 8-9 inches as described above.

If you are looking for deep silver, you may get a little better result from a minelab machine. Plenty of people swear by them for this application. I can't say as i don't use them.

So, what do you do to maximize the 5900? If your ground is good with little EMI, run your sensitivity near max. You are already using all metal (GEB Max i believe) to avoid discriminating out good targets. Run a larger coil if your ground will allow it - you may find you get optimum results in a mid sized 8-10" coil range (8" coil seems to be a favorite of many). Set discrimination to zero. Power/VDI level to Max. Tuner to minimum level to hear the hum. If you have the SAT toggle, you may wish to turn it off to avoid having the machine tune out good targets while adjusting for changes in ground conditions.

Finally, how many coins are that deep? If humans or mother nature didn't bury them, they aren't that deep. Old parks get rebuilt and i get that many old targets do get buried. Otherwise, they don't sink...they just get covered by decaying matter at a slow rate...the reason you find most of your silver at 3-5 inches.

Here is a link where Southern and Dankowski talk about getting the most out of a 5900. [www.dankowskidetectors.com]

Hope there is at least one nugget in there for you,
ZIncoln
Subject Author Views Posted

The deep ones

Senior Deacon 84 September 14, 2020 07:31PM

NWCindy 32 September 30, 2020 11:44AM

Some thoughts and history of Finding some Deep Coins.

Monte 85 September 15, 2020 05:31AM

Re: Some thoughts and history of Finding some Deep Coins.

Senior Deacon 29 September 21, 2020 07:26AM

WM6 51 September 15, 2020 12:09PM

SvenS 38 September 21, 2020 03:27AM

One of the downfalls of increased age and decreased mobility.

Monte 33 September 21, 2020 05:53AM

WM6, it was a different era, a younger and healthier me, and our Coin Hunting likely differs from yours.

Monte 44 September 16, 2020 09:32AM

Re: WM6, it was a different era, a younger and healthier me, and our Coin Hunting likely differs from yours.

WM6 38 September 16, 2020 12:32PM

zincoln 61 September 14, 2020 11:03PM

Re: The deep ones...how to get the best out of your 5900White's Electronics

Hombre 63 September 15, 2020 07:36AM

The deep ones...

UtahRich 40 September 15, 2020 12:14PM

Hombre, that was very good help, but a different detector.

Monte 46 September 15, 2020 08:41AM

Re: Hombre, that was very good help, but a different detector. I'm only familiar with my version of the 5900

Hombre 42 September 15, 2020 09:31AM

A nice selection of White's models.thumbs up .. Too bad they went belly-up.sad smiley

Monte 55 September 15, 2020 11:15AM

Re: The deep ones...how to get the best out of your 5900White's Electronics

zincoln 47 September 15, 2020 08:38AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 9
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 356 on August 30, 2020