Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The deep ones...

September 15, 2020 12:14PM avatar
Getting after those deep coins. eye rolling smiley

Some weeks ago, I was looking thru some of my finds from long ago and among them were some coins from a majestic old home in a small town. An administrator of the local college and his family were living in the home and were delighted to have us search the yard with our detectors. I was swinging a new 5900 Di Pro SL w/950 coil at the time. I did well. I place my keeper coins and tokens in cardboard 2x2's and documented with the location, detector and depth found. I was surprised at the number of keepers i found at what I consider "depth" from that hunt with the 5900. There were several in the 6" - 8.5" mark.

I've had other detectors since that seemed to have little if any trouble reaching coins in the OVER 6" category. The 5900 was my first, followed by a CZ-6a, my Explorer XS, Etrac, and now my EQ800. My Deus seems able as well, BUT, I don't have as much time on it to know if it is a regularity. Jury is out.

If I'm hunting for DEEP coins, those deeper than 6", I will show up with an appropriate coil. I have an 11" coil for both my 800 and Deus. My CZ-6 was the only detector of all that I've used to date, that had no trouble reaching over 6" with the regular 8" concentric coil. I regularly found coins in the 8-9" with that standard coil. It was impressive.

There was a discussion about this a few weeks ago. My opinion here, In a nutshell, success can be had hunting any given area with various approaches and each can be successful, whether it is using small coils which limit depth capability BUT generally enhance the ability to separate good targets from bad, using a general search coil and being extra thorough in coverage, or using a larger diameter coil with increased depth capability and looking for coins beyond the reach of the smaller or midsize coils. You are likely to make additional finds with each method that the other methods may leave behind.

Is there a right way or wrong way to hunt an area? Well, I try to look at it from a standpoint of being productive. What is going to be productive for me?

If you look across this forum, you will see that each of us have preferences. If i can offer some advice, it would be Don't get stuck in a rut. If you're hunting an area one way and the finds are petering out, change things up and try another method or coil or detector or weather conditions. I've even had those areas that I've gone into and removed the garbage signals in hopes of revealing some good masked targets.

Anyway, there are deep coins out there beyond the reach of those small and medium coils, don't hesitate to give'm a go.

Rich -

Just a little PS here should the question arise - When measuring the depth of a given target, I've always measured from the DIRT down. I have a 12" long coin popper / probe that I've been using since the 80's to assist. Back in the day, I was also using a Hole Hog which took a 7.5" deep CORE of dirt much like what is used on a golf course putting green for removing a plug of sod when placing cups / pins.

It's YOU that makes the difference.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2020 12:25PM by UtahRich.
Subject Author Views Posted

The deep ones

Senior Deacon 86 September 14, 2020 07:31PM

Re: The deep ones

NWCindy 32 September 30, 2020 11:44AM

Some thoughts and history of Finding some Deep Coins.

Monte 85 September 15, 2020 05:31AM

Re: Some thoughts and history of Finding some Deep Coins.

Senior Deacon 30 September 21, 2020 07:26AM

WM6 52 September 15, 2020 12:09PM

SvenS 39 September 21, 2020 03:27AM

One of the downfalls of increased age and decreased mobility.

Monte 34 September 21, 2020 05:53AM

WM6, it was a different era, a younger and healthier me, and our Coin Hunting likely differs from yours.

Monte 44 September 16, 2020 09:32AM

Re: WM6, it was a different era, a younger and healthier me, and our Coin Hunting likely differs from yours.

WM6 38 September 16, 2020 12:32PM

Re: The deep ones

zincoln 62 September 14, 2020 11:03PM

Re: The deep ones...how to get the best out of your 5900White's Electronics

Hombre 63 September 15, 2020 07:36AM

The deep ones...

UtahRich 40 September 15, 2020 12:14PM

Hombre, that was very good help, but a different detector.

Monte 48 September 15, 2020 08:41AM

Re: Hombre, that was very good help, but a different detector. I'm only familiar with my version of the 5900

Hombre 42 September 15, 2020 09:31AM

A nice selection of White's models.thumbs up .. Too bad they went belly-up.sad smiley

Monte 56 September 15, 2020 11:15AM

Re: The deep ones...how to get the best out of your 5900White's Electronics

zincoln 48 September 15, 2020 08:38AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 68
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 356 on August 30, 2020