Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

It was the worst of times, it was the best of times. Wowza!

October 06, 2020 07:05PM
Having some vacation left to burn, i decided to use this beautiful day to get some fresh air, exercise and just maybe add to my silver count. What a gorgeous day. 83 in the sun, but so pleasant under the trees. An occasional gentle breeze, few people around on a Tuesday, and for a brief time one could forget about COVID. Loaded up the MX Sport w/ 7" Detech, and the V3i with a larger coil in case it came in handy, but stuck w/ the Sport all day.....and i do mean all day (7-4).

Headed back to the stingy giving park, and tried a new area I'd not yet ventured into. Hit the brush at 7am, and by noon, i had nothing but clad to show for it. Meandered back over to where i found the gold ring last week. On the way, i finally pulled a 56d wheat in the bushes adjacent to the grass. Well, at least I'm not skunked.

I jumped over the bank near where i found the IHC and gold ring last week and stuffed the coil up under an overhanging bush. A banging 86 on the Sport.....that has to be a silver half!!! Put the pinpointer to the soil, and could see the edge of the coin, but knew it was too small for a half. Sure enough, a nice 54s Washington quarter....well that makes my day! Beat around the hillside til about 3, and pulled out 3 midcentury or later tokens, and a pretty neat 1950 Dog Tax tag from Washing County. Relaxed, content and now feeling successful.

Took the long way back to the other side of the park nearer where i'd parked. Decided to work an old pathway that doesn't see any real use these days, but saw plenty back around the turn of the century I'm sure. Now, all you find are a few needles and other various items you might not wish to find. The old path used to be wider I'm sure, but today you only had a sparsely beaten path through the ivy and trees about a foot wide.

Hadn't gone 100 feet, and i got a mid 40's VDI. Those are mostly screw caps, but that's also the range for a $5 gold coin. I kicked the duff aside and caught a glint of gold. I leaned down and brushed away the dirt to see a nickel sized gold coin with a reeded edge. Could quite make it out, so picked it up to examine it. Dadgumit - those awful foreign coins I lamented in my gold coin post back in August. Still don't know where its from...or how it got here, but it was perfect for a US gold $5....it just wasn't:-(

Up the trail i went on my way back to the truck. Keep in mind, at best you have a path a foot wide, with foot tall ivy on either side. I was flailing away just hoping to accident into something, and i caught a high tone. I stopped, waggled the coil, and got a good high tone bouncing around between the high 80's and low 90's...not exactly a ringing endorsement for anything but a pop can or tobacco tin. I stuck my screw driver in the dirt and hit something about 3 inches down. I pulled the probe back to the edge, and pried up. As the vines from the ivy broke, the dirt flew and a large silver disk flopped up in the air and landed on the pile. Yes, i knew right away it was silver. Probably a walker....I sprayed it off, and whatda ya know, a Barber!!! 1892 - drats, one year from filling out another bucket lister and calling it a year:-) I'm ecstatic.

I start crushing down the ivy and hitting pull tabs, pop cans, an odd, large aluminum cross, and basically nothing good. I swing back around and come down the trail next to the hole i'd just dug. As i swing by, i get one faint high tone. Huh....could it be. I work that signal and it is all over the place - high 70's to mid 90's, and pretty deep. Could be anything....but the odds are in my favor as it was only a foot away from the first coin. I dig out a healthy chunk of ground 5" deep. Pinpointer hits....nothing. Hmmm. I run the detector over the hole, and now the signal is better, mid 80's to low 90's. Hopes getting up. I dig around the perimeter about 2-3 inches deep. I pry up on the bottom of the plug, and dirt flies up again and you guess it, another silver disk lands right on top the pile of fresh dirt. It can't be.....another Barber half. 1898s.

So now I'm thinking....i barely caught that one at ~7", i wonder if there are more...maybe a silver dime. I run the coil along the inside of the hole...and another high tone. You gotta be kidding me. This time the pinpointer picks it up. I gently use the screwdriver to get to the target....and its a......NAIL. Oh well. The hole is officially empty.

I beat around for another 30 minutes or so, and decided the detecting gods and shown enough light on me today. Headed home to clean up the finds, and sent Oregon Gregg an obligatory silver shot.

Sorry it was so long, but hope you enjoyed the ride. Definitely my best silver spill ever.

I attached a couple of shots in the hole so you could see the ugliness of the ivy....first coin was cleaned up and put back down for the pic.

Happy hunting and may you find good weather in the weeks ahead. Seems we are going to get wet.

Zincoln

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2020 08:05PM by zincoln.
Attachments:
open | download - Front barber halves.jpg (4.09 MB)
open | download - Back barber halves.jpg (4.16 MB)
open | download - 1898s in hole.jpg (5.03 MB)
open | download - 1892 in hole.jpg (5.16 MB)
Subject Author Views Posted

It was the worst of times, it was the best of times. Wowza! Attachments

zincoln 98 October 06, 2020 07:05PM

Re: It was the worst of times, it was the best of times. Wowza!

NWCindy 31 October 10, 2020 06:28PM

Sodbuster 34 October 08, 2020 07:37AM

Kickindirt 32 October 07, 2020 05:13PM

Timbertodd 34 October 07, 2020 01:32PM

OregonGregg 37 October 08, 2020 02:00AM

smiling smiley N/T

Timbertodd 24 October 08, 2020 05:20AM

Broken Record

OregonGregg 45 October 07, 2020 04:25AM

Broken Record - Backwards - - - - -

UtahRich 38 October 07, 2020 07:18PM

Re: Broken Record - Backwards - - - - -

zincoln 35 October 07, 2020 10:03PM

Gotta say, i wasn't expecting sympathy on the seated miss:-) N/T

zincoln 28 October 07, 2020 07:36AM

Humm, stay in Vale OR, move to Springfield MO, or move back to the Portland OR area?thinkingconfused smileythinking

Monte 48 October 07, 2020 03:09AM

Much appreciated Monte

zincoln 32 October 07, 2020 07:49AM

Going Ivy League! Wowza!

UtahRich 38 October 07, 2020 01:46AM

Thank you Rich! N/T

zincoln 28 October 07, 2020 07:37AM

Going Ivy League or loco

OregonGregg 38 October 07, 2020 04:34AM

Creative...and militant. I better hide my 'weapons':-) N/T

zincoln 31 October 07, 2020 07:37AM

Remfire 35 October 06, 2020 09:09PM

The brush axe and machete are your friend:-) So is January! N/T

zincoln 30 October 06, 2020 09:22PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 52
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 356 on August 30, 2020