Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My experiences with coils on the MX-5, M6 & MXT Pro.

March 30, 2021 10:25PM avatar
And these also relate the the newer designed MX Sport and MX-7.

I have used Co-Planer and Concentric coils since the late '60s and I have used Double-D coils since '71. Both coils types can work, but they do have some strengths and weaknesses. Also, there are some errant statements made relative to their abilities at unmasking and separation to be aware of as the are not incompletely correct. Misleading would be a good term.

Add to that the fact that some detectors are made with one type of coil, and can work best with one type of coil, and some do not work as well with one design than they do with the other. I've used the MXT since an early prototype on to their final models, and I have used a wide-range of search coils in many different applications. I've also worked with a lot of people doing in-the-field comparisons of different detectors and coils, dealing with modern-site junk, rusty tin, abundant iron nails, well littered modern sites that abound in pull tabs, screw caps and bottle caps.

The results I have experienced, as well as many others I have worked with, was that the Concentric coils work much better on these White's series models than the DD coils. And I am referring to both the MXT group and MX models, too. Am I saying the DD coils don't work? No, because for some applications they do. However, when we compared performance on short stacks of silver coins, or some old artifacts that were mainly non-ferrous but also had some straight-iron components to them, the DD's didn't match the results with comparable-size Concentric coils. Specifically tested were the White's 6X10 DD, and the Detech-made 6" DD, 7" DD, 6X8 SEF DD, and White's 5.3 Concentric which is a mis-named coil that actually measures 6½"in diameter.

None of us really liked the 950 Concentric, but when they brought out the open-frame 9" Concentric in late 2013, all of us liked and preferred that coil and performance against comparable-sized DD coils. Typical of most Concentric coils,they Discriminate more accurately, produce tighter and more consistent numeric VDI read-outs, and size-to size they also generally achieve better depth-of-detection. Additionally, a good comparable Concentric often edges out a similar-size DD in very dense iron contaminated conditions. Those were all from side-by-side, in the field and simulated test comparisons.

I have some models in my outfit that sport a DD coil and those coil types, and the performance, are preferred. I have some that came with a Concentric coil, and they also have shown favorable field performance. But I also have some that only have one type of coil design made for them, and I really wish / hope the manufacturer will design a coil or two of the other type.

If I were to own another White's detector, and it could be an M6, MX-5, MXT Pro or MX-7, I would only want 2- coils for it and those would be a 6½" and 9" Concentric.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
I'm now located in Clyde, Texas
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Detector Outfit: A selection of my favorite makes and models, with the best coils mounted for the tasks I'll take on.
Apex .. FORS CoRe .. FORS Relic .. Impact .. Inca .. Bandido II µMAX .. Silver Sabre µMAX .. MX-5
Pinpointers: Pulse-Dive Pointer and AT Pro-Pointer .. Headphones: 'Hornet' & 'Wasp' .. MS-3 Z-Lynk
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
Subject Author Views Posted

Whites m-6

Albert 382 March 24, 2021 09:10PM

Their M6 was an almost instant success ....

Monte 414 March 25, 2021 09:41AM

Re: Their M6 was an almost instant success ....

Albert 214 March 25, 2021 07:17PM

OregonGregg 358 March 25, 2021 09:18PM

OregonGregg 389 March 25, 2021 10:38AM

Albert 327 March 25, 2021 07:20PM

My experiences with coils on the MX-5, M6 & MXT Pro.

Monte 347 March 30, 2021 10:25PM

Ok, ill take the bait

zincoln 257 March 30, 2021 11:39PM

Zincoln, I'll *generally* agree with you.

Monte 333 March 31, 2021 05:46AM

Re: Zincoln, I'll *generally* agree with you.

OregonGregg 157 March 31, 2021 06:21AM

OregonGregg 415 March 25, 2021 09:25PM

Albert 322 March 28, 2021 11:23AM

jmaryt 291 March 28, 2021 08:39PM

OregonGregg 358 March 28, 2021 06:27PM

Re: Whites m-6

jmaryt 217 March 24, 2021 10:37PM

Albert 274 March 25, 2021 07:26PM

jmaryt 179 March 28, 2021 08:36PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 26
Record Number of Guests: 1023 on May 05, 2021