Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I'll add one small exception to my MX-7 coil choices.

March 02, 2018 09:24AM avatar
While I do prefer the 6½" Concentric for the bulk of my detecting needs, like 90% of the time with the MX-7, and do like the 950 Concentric for hunting wide-open areas like a sandy beach or a sports field, etc., neither of these search coils are very good for hunting with the coil submerged.

If I am Beach Hunting, be it a river, lake or ocean beach setting where I will be working the search coil a few inches to a foot or so in water, then I'll have the 7" DD mounted. I would really like to see White's make the 9" 'spider' coil for this series and get rid of the 950 as it would be a better water hunting coil, plus just look more modern. This coil, made by Detect for White's, has the open-frame design so it won't be 'floatable' like the enclosed 6½" and 950 coil designs.

I was doing a bit of research about some older recreation sites, now out of use, that have some water features to hunt, a river beach and man-made inlet 'pool'. I would hunt my way to those areas through the former picnic area section that was once an auto-park campground, and I'd want to be hunting with a coil that would still serve me well when I got to the water bodies. The 7" DD will handle the beach areas and allow some shallow wading and the open design will work in my favor.

Otherwise, my two favorite coils for my MX-7's are the 6½" and 950 Concentric coils. Just wanted to throw that thought in,

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

'Regular-Use Detector Team' are models from: Fisher, Nokta / Makro, Teknetics, Tesoro and White's
'Specialty-Use Detectors' are models from: Compass, Garrett and Teknetics
Pinpointers: Using Nokta / Makro and Uniprobe Pointers.
Headphones: Using Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star and Detector Pro's Uniprobe ... All w/'tank style' ear cups.
Recovery Gear: Using White's DigMaster digging tool and Signature Series pouch.
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen as desired based on search site conditions.
Some models are assigned for 'Regular-Use' and others are on-hand for 'Specialty Use.'
Additional search coils, mounted on spare lower-rods, are on-hand in my Accessory Coil Tote.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147
Subject Author Views Posted

Question: What are your #1 and #2 search coil favorites?

Monte 249 February 23, 2018 08:38AM

Re: Question: What are your #1 and #2 search coil favorites?

Doc 108 August 12, 2018 11:00AM

Re: Question: What are your #1 and #2 search coil favorites?

OregonGregg 143 February 25, 2018 05:57AM

I don't know why White's has ignored the 9" Concentric.confused smiley

Monte 194 February 25, 2018 01:27PM

Yep, the only two coils needed for those models, to be sure. N/T

Monte 172 February 25, 2018 08:29AM

My favorite coilsgrinning smiley

Hombre 219 February 24, 2018 06:48PM

Randy, I forgot about the little 'Ferret' coil. eye rolling smiley

Monte 188 February 25, 2018 02:45AM

Brian's favorite coils

zincoln 184 February 23, 2018 06:41PM

Monte's coil picks for White's models are:

Monte 180 February 23, 2018 08:44AM

I'll add one small exception to my MX-7 coil choices.

Monte 201 March 02, 2018 09:24AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 18
Record Number of Users: 13 on January 18, 2018
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018