Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Love those Wheaties - smiling smiley

March 14, 2018 04:37PM
Monte
They frustrate me only because there are so many of them this year, but at the same time I enjoy finding them because they are earlier-era coins and alert me there could be silver coins lurking about.

Monte

Monte,

I think the PERFECT remedy for being tired of digging wheat pennies is to head over to a modern park or school and get one's fill of Zinc pennies. winking smiley That's how I've felt the last several years as the plague of the Zinc penny continues to spread to all the places we gather. I have a greater appreciation for COPPER pennies as well as Wheaties.

LIke you said, Wheat Pennies are a good indicator that the area is likely to hold silver coins as well. And the older the wheaties I'm finding, the more likely I am to turn up OLDER coins of other denominations as well.

At one point some years ago, I used to calculate the ratio of silver coins to wheat pennies found in the old yards I was hunting. For many years I averaged a 6 to 1 ratio. It moved down to 5:1 and during a couple very good years with a change in detector, I was able to get that down to 4:1. This ratio (wheaties to silver) has popped up on the forums several times over the years and similar numbers have been posted by other yard hunters so it seems to be a pretty good measuring stick to use as I'm out and about hunting yards.

This is not to say that EVERY site is going to hold this ratio, only that over a period of days, weeks and months, it balances out to that. Another thing it does is allow me to think positively that with each wheatie I retrieve, I am upping my odds that I'm going to turn up a silver coin.

One additional bonus of finding wheaties is filling out one's Wheat Penny Collection. Always a fun thing to do. There are collector books avaiable. Here's one example that makes it easy to see what you have and what you still need to find.

[www.amazon.com]

I know Monte has a lot of experience in ghost towns, stage stops or railroad/mining camps. I am curious to know if the Indian Head penny/silver ratio is the same or perhaps slightly better as there was more silver in one's pocket before paper currency became more dominant. (just a guess on my part)

HH

Rich (Utah)

Tesoro Golden Sabre
Tesoro Bandido
White's MXT All Pro
Minelab Etrac
Nokta Fors CoRe
Macro Racer 2
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Pro Pointer AT

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2018 05:24PM by Rich (Utah).
Subject Author Views Posted

I enjoyed my XLT yesterday, but I'm really getting tired orf wheat-backs. moody smiley

Monte 256 March 14, 2018 11:18AM

I'm tired of pulltabs in old places,I'd take a wheat cent anyday,

Hombre 246 March 14, 2018 04:58PM

Re: I'm tired of pulltabs in old places,I'd take a wheat cent anyday,

Rich (Utah) 224 March 15, 2018 07:34PM

Yes, pesky ring-pull tabs can be more annoying.

Monte 173 March 15, 2018 10:08PM

Love those Wheaties - smiling smiley

Rich (Utah) 186 March 14, 2018 04:37PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 14
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018