Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Gee, I guess with your moving and everything you were out-of-the-loop for a while.

March 18, 2018 04:55PM
Monte, thanks for the lengthy reply ;-) Firstly, I didn't want to imply that Jimmy had anything to do with Whites' slipping. He said in his letter that they let experienced engineers go (the one Dan and I met a few years ago, in particular) and hired newbies that aren't really familiar with the art.

As you say, clubs are down and Whites' sales were down too. 2 different reasons IMO.

Clubs are down for the same reason many other hobby's participation are down - kids are into smartphones and games. The white hair bunch are the only ones left. This is true in ham radio as well.

Another reason, I say, is because most of the easy to find goodies are gone. I'm talking about local schools and parks here. When I was in my hunting prime (and working, with not a lot of time to hunt), I'd go out every weekend for a couple of hours and come back with silver from parks or schools. It ain't that easy anymore. I've enlisted a few friends to the hobby, but they've found little at local sites and lose interest. You must get permission to hunt private land, or go to far away places to find good stuff anymore. In other words, it takes a lot more work to get satisfaction from the hobby.

Whites sales are down for 2 reasons. Their marketing practices, which they've apparently just woke up to, and their lack of innovation. You and I tested the V3i. I found it to be "deaf". Its recovery time was awful and, like the multi-frequency X-terra I had, ID's silver dimes at the edge of detection depth as iron.

Yes, I've been "out of it" for a while now. 2 years in Prineville and haven't hunted locally (for that matter, haven't gone fishing either!). The last time I hunted at all was the last trip to Tobar!

This year will be different. After a few ghost town hunts, I have learned some things and have some tricks up my sleeve along with a new detector. I'm gonna get that Indian Head this year!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2018 05:03PM by glabelle.
Subject Author Views Posted

Jimmy Sierra

glabelle 240 March 18, 2018 09:14AM

Gee, I guess with your moving and everything you were out-of-the-loop for a while. Attachments

Monte 174 March 18, 2018 02:48PM

Re: Gee, I guess with your moving and everything you were out-of-the-loop for a while.

glabelle 142 March 18, 2018 04:55PM

Correct on many points, George. But I heard sad news.

Monte 182 March 18, 2018 07:34PM

Re: Correct on many points, George. But I heard sad news.

glabelle 141 March 18, 2018 09:58PM

Yes, thats was something else.

Rwjr13 159 March 18, 2018 02:46PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 30
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018