Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sad to hear but I'm sure you can fix the problem easily.

March 25, 2018 07:42AM avatar
Hombre suggested just ordering a new one and you should be good-to-go.

I am surprised to hear of the breakage. I really enjoyed the MX-5's I have owned since their first introduction, and the same arm cup design is used on the MX-7's in my current 'Detector Team.'. Matter of fact, I prefer it to the metal arm cups they have used for so long as the metal can accidently get bent out of shape and the new plastic cup, like on the MX-5 and MX-7 models, allows a nice flex for a better, more comfortable fit on the arm, from bare to shirt sleeve to sweater to coat.

I don't cinch the arm cup strap down snuggly, but just enough to eliminate a loose wobble that still allows me to easily slide my arm out or back in without fiddling with the strap. If you're whipping the MX-5 to and fro enough to cause arm cup breakage, then I would also image it was snugged down pretty tight. Just order a new one, then don't over-tighten the strap and definitely slow the sweep speed down. This detector circuitry, like most models made today, is not engineered to require a very brisk sweep speed.

There are only one or two things I didn't care for about the MX-5, but the arm cup was definitely not one of them. Matter-of-fact, it was one of the newer features I liked. Performance wise and considering the 'simple' controls it has, I found the MX-5 to be my favorite Coin Hunting detector back when it was introduced and ended up using it more than my MXT Pro and other White's and competitors models for my Coin Hunting as well as working the Relic Hunting sites I favor. I kept the 5.3 Eclipse .. 6½" diameter .. Concentric coil mounted full-time and only swapped to the open 9" Concentric in more open areas with sparse targets and potentially deeper targets at 6" or greater.

I don't know what you used before or in addition now, but put in time with the MX-5 and I'm sure you'll grow to like it.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

'Regular-Use Detector Team' are models from: Fisher, Nokta / Makro, Teknetics, Tesoro and White's
'Specialty-Use Detectors' are models from: Compass, Garrett and Teknetics
Pinpointers: Using Nokta / Makro and Uniprobe Pointers.
Headphones: Using Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star and Detector Pro's Uniprobe ... All w/'tank style' ear cups.
Recovery Gear: Using White's DigMaster digging tool and Signature Series pouch.
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen as desired based on search site conditions.
Some models are assigned for 'Regular-Use' and others are on-hand for 'Specialty Use.'
Additional search coils, mounted on spare lower-rods, are on-hand in my Accessory Coil Tote.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147
Subject Author Views Posted

Ouch!!!

slingshot 255 March 23, 2018 06:20PM

Sad to hear but I'm sure you can fix the problem easily.

Monte 161 March 25, 2018 07:42AM

Re: Sad to hear but I'm sure you can fix the problem easily. Attachments

slingshot 145 March 25, 2018 12:08PM

Re: Ouch!!! It's a good thing that it can be fixed easilysmiling smiley

Hombre 155 March 24, 2018 08:36PM

Classic series and MX-5 ... I have to agree.

Monte 196 March 25, 2018 08:16AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 18
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018