Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mixing the pleasure and performance of Old and New.

May 11, 2018 09:46PM avatar
Along with my Makro, Nokta and Tesoro models I have been using my two White's models a lot more this past month-and-a-half. Those include my favorite 'oldie' model, the XLT, and my current favorite, the MX-7.

XLT's, now on my 30th specimen since mid-'94, have served me well in many applications, especially with the 6½" Concentric coil and using my 'Bushwhack' program. It's complemented by the new MX-7 that is lighter weight and well balanced which comes to the rescue if I work a heavier detector a little longer than I can usually tolerate. I mainly use the 6½" Concentric or the very slightly heavier 7" DD by Detect as the MX-7 is the lightest-weight and best-balanced of all my Target ID models.

I've used these two detectors more the past month-and-a-half than my other TID models and have enjoyed success afield with them. That's what counts in the long run, The XLT was a detector maybe just a little ahead of its time, or you might say a very good offering in the progression to where we are today. And it's different from all the slower-functioning, quick-response detectors that abound on the market today.

In the past 15-30 years we often heard terms used like 4-Filter and 2-Filter as they related to the fast-motion and slow-motion detectors. Not really the proper or correct terminology, and the trend was definitely toward the slow-motion/quick-response detectors since '82 and '83 when Fisher's 1200 series and Tesoro's Inca and Silver Sabre hit the market and sparked the trend. The 'original' Teknetics had the 1 & 2 Filter Mark 1, and in '87 Compass brought out the Scanner series that were dubbed 'Varifilter' and described by the engineer as a 3-Filter technology.

In 2000 White's presented the MXT which was labeled a 3-Filter technology and that was followed by the sibling M6 and enhanced MXT Pro. Today we mainly have 2-Filter and 3-Filter VLF detectors, as the majority of the currently produced designs, and they can all serve most of us quite well. White's was the last to really keep any 4-Filter designs in production, and in my honest opinion and based on a lot of field time with them, the best-of-the-bunch were the XLT and 6000 Pro XL, later renamed simply the XL Pro.

For those who spent the time, learned and enjoyed these older models, they know exactly what I mean when I say they was excellent designs and very reliable performers. I was glad to start the year out by finding a very clean specimen of an XLT to add back into my Regular-Use Detector Team. thumbs up It's a nice complement to my MX-7's making a good working team in my arsenal.

I hope everyone out there has also found, or will soon find, two or three detectors that work differently and complement each other to provide enjoyment afield and success on their hunts. All the best for the rest of 2018. smileys with diet Dr. Pepper float

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

'Regular-Use Detector Team' are models from: Fisher, Nokta / Makro, Teknetics, Tesoro and White's
'Specialty-Use Detectors' are models from: Compass, Garrett and Teknetics
Pinpointers: Using Nokta / Makro and Uniprobe Pointers.
Headphones: Using Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star and Detector Pro's Uniprobe ... All w/'tank style' ear cups.
Recovery Gear: Using White's DigMaster digging tool and Signature Series pouch.
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen as desired based on search site conditions.
Some models are assigned for 'Regular-Use' and others are on-hand for 'Specialty Use.'
Additional search coils, mounted on spare lower-rods, are on-hand in my Accessory Coil Tote.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147
Subject Author Views Posted

Mixing the pleasure and performance of Old and New.

Monte 250 May 11, 2018 09:46PM

Added enjoyment to my 'Detactor Team.'

Monte 217 May 26, 2018 08:19PM

My 'Detector Team.'

Rich (Utah) 170 May 30, 2018 06:14PM

Re: Added enjoyment to my 'Detactor Team.'

OregonGregg 197 May 28, 2018 07:13AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 21
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018