Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The 6½" Concentric coil would make a great gift idea ...► for Christmas in July◄

July 08, 2018 10:07AM avatar
slingshot
Was out with the MX5 and heard a quick "tink" before a loud nickel tone (in 8 tone mode).....thinking
I use the 8 Tone and 20 Tone on my MX7 and MX Sport like I did the 8-Tone on the MX-5 when I had it, and that was very seldom and only in sites that were more open, coins targets well spaced and not too much trash. Using 8-Tone will produce more 'ticks' or other subtle tone changes that kind of smear the audio with the blended audio response of targets too close to other targets that fall in a different Tone ID category. My preference with the MX-5 was to simply reject the first three Disc. segments and then search in the 2-Tone audio function. Much cleaner tones in dense, trashy environments.

slingshot
By barely wiggling and slightly moving the 950 coil I could isolate the dime signal-but it took some patience. And it was a dime next to a statab. This, and the fact I've hit quite a few mixed coin spills that "make music" with the large coil is starting to whet my appetite-especially with my success with a small coil on another detector.....thinking
When I used the MX-5 I only favored two search coils. The standard open-frame 9" Concentric coil and the 6½" Concentric that they label the 5.3 Eclipse. I only used the bigger 9" Concentric when hunting open areas with targets more spaced apart, and for Beach Hunting when I worked the coil in the shallow surf.

Otherwise, I used the 6½" Concentric coil that I kept mounted for all-around, general-purpose used with the MX-7, and the performance was very impressive. I am talking about the round-shaped 6½" Concentric and not the 'Shooter' elliptical DD coil.

slingshot
And I think it would make me a 1 detector user.....thinking
It could, but I personally discourage anyone serious about this great sport to limit their personal arsenal to only one detector. There is no such thing as a 'perfect' detector and it's nice to have two or three detectors to complement each other and provide more versatility.

slingshot
Maybe if I tell my wife it can be my Christmas present....thinking
This is July so maybe a heavy hint or two might be in order.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells
Trading Post

Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
'How-To' help for Coin & Jewelry Hunting, Relic Hunting and Useful Techniques.

'Regular-Use Detector Team' are models from: Fisher, Nokta / Makro, Teknetics, Tesoro and White's
'Specialty-Use Detectors' are models from: Compass, Garrett and Teknetics
Pinpointers: Using Nokta / Makro and Uniprobe Pointers.
Headphones: Using Killer B's 'Hornet' and White's Pro Star and Detector Pro's Uniprobe ... All w/'tank style' ear cups.
Recovery Gear: Using White's DigMaster digging tool and Signature Series pouch.
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen as desired based on search site conditions.
Some models are assigned for 'Regular-Use' and others are on-hand for 'Specialty Use.'
Additional search coils, mounted on spare lower-rods, are on-hand in my Accessory Coil Tote.

*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***

monte@stinkwaterwells.com .. or .. monte@ahrps.org
(503) 481-8147
Subject Author Views Posted

I forsee a shooter coil...

slingshot 197 July 05, 2018 08:04PM

The 6½" Concentric coil would make a great gift idea ...► for Christmas in July◄

Monte 156 July 08, 2018 10:07AM

Re: The 6½" Concentric coil would make a great gift idea ...► for Christmas in July◄

slingshot 114 July 08, 2018 08:31PM

You have pointed out two differences to consider, and there are more.

Monte 142 July 09, 2018 05:33PM

Re: You have pointed out two differences to consider, and there are more.

slingshot 104 July 09, 2018 08:07PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 17
Record Number of Guests: 302 on March 10, 2018